VSL Tutorials and SONAR - multiple MIDI channels

Author
CASmith
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2017/05/10 01:47:05 (permalink)

VSL Tutorials and SONAR - multiple MIDI channels

The Vienna Symphonic Library is a powerful tool and VSL has some good downloadable tutorials.  They are often delivered as a MIDI file and a Vienna Ensemble (VE) project (xx.viframe64) that contains a "setup" of many instruments - just like any multitimbral synth.  Vienna Ensemble can then be loaded into SONAR as a VST3 soft synth and the MIDI file can be imported.  The VE project file often has 20, 40 or more instruments, which requires multiple MIDI devices to give each instrument a separate channel.  However SONAR (X3) does not seem to have an option to drive a soft synth with multiple MIDI devices ... so an instance of VE loaded into SONAR is limited to one device and hence 16 MIDI channels.  If this is true, multiple instances of VE would need to be created in the Synth rack and each one would need to be adjusted to contain just 16 instruments.  This is not ideal (since it is a bunch of extra work) - so I'm wondering if there is a way to host just one instance of VE in SONAR and send it MIDI on multiple devices.

Thx

4 Replies Related Threads

CASmith
    Re: VSL Tutorials and SONAR - multiple MIDI channels 2017/05/15 15:12:09 (permalink)
    Hmmm ... hearing nothing, I guess there is no easy reply to this.  I will note that some applications, like Sibelius and Notion, can drive Vienna Ensemble using multiple MIDI output devices.

An alternative is simply to run Vienna Ensemble as a separate application and have SONAR drive it using "virtual MIDI cables" like loopMIDI and LoopBe1.  I have tried this approach (having used loopMIDI for years) but it seems that my version of SONAR is configured in such a way that it causes "feedback" (i.e. a MIDI loop) that is detected by both of these products, and they disable themselves.

I guess SONAR was not designed for this sort of requirement ... unless someone can tell me different.
    interpolated
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re: VSL Tutorials and SONAR - multiple MIDI channels 2017/05/21 21:42:40 (permalink)
    Couldn't you use Sonar's ability to use multiple audio outputs.  Say you used channel 3 and 4 for Vienna Ensemble and route it back to your Master bus. Having not used this it might be tricky. It seems to be geared around the node routing of Logic. Pretty sure Reaper might give you more flexible options though.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
    CASmith
    Re: VSL Tutorials and SONAR - multiple MIDI channels 2017/05/27 15:31:02 (permalink)
    Thanks for your ideas - I just downloaded and tried Reaper and it worked fine with loopMIDI ... but then I also tried SONAR again and it worked as well.  I believe by disabling all MIDI input within Preferences, I prevented the "feedback" situation.
    interpolated
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re: VSL Tutorials and SONAR - multiple MIDI channels 2017/05/27 21:10:33 (permalink)
    Glad it worked for you.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1