Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support

Author
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
2017/05/16 22:26:54 (permalink)

Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support

I'm thinking of dropping a few quid on a secondhand Frontier AlphaTrack. I am wondering if anyone has it working on Win 10? (I'm on Win 7 but thinking of the future). Also, how does it compare to the Faderport? The AlphaTrack seems to have a scribble strip so you can see which track you are working on, but it seems to be a blind process with the Faderport.

24 Replies Related Threads

gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/05/17 00:02:13 (permalink)
    I have one and it works.

Azslow made us new drivers (I think). check and see what the latest is.

He made it work better than new.

azctrl_0_3r9b222.exe
    http://stabilitynetwork.blob.core.windows.net/g-tunes/azctrl_0_3r9b222.7z

This is the last one I had.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    35mm
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/05/17 04:41:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. Yes I saw the Azslow drivers for both faders. I might get it if the bidding doesn't get too high! Looks pretty useful.
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/05/17 06:12:33 (permalink)
    Please note that I have not written the Windows driver for this device, only a replacement for Sonar plug-in.
    Also this plug-in in universal, it is the same for any device. Installation instructions: http://www.azslow.com/index.php?topic=172.0

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/05/17 10:32:45 (permalink)
    I don't have the AphaTrack, but I have a Frontier Tranzport and the old Vista drivers (all that is available) still works in Windows 10.  The drivers have to be installed in a Compatibility mode (I did it for Win 7) but that is the only thing.
    My Tranzport works perfect in Win 10.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    subtlearts
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2200
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/05/17 11:41:31 (permalink)
    I can vouch for the fact that Azslow's plugin and the preset he developed for the Alphatrack - with a teeny tiny bit of help from me, testing as it went along since he didn't have a device - works a charm. I use it all the time and it's literally better than the original plugin ever was - mostly identical but more flexible. With that new lease on life, as it were, the AT still a pretty cool device, even if discontinued, and I highly recommend it if you're on the fence!

tobias tinker 
    music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
    35mm
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/05/17 13:37:17 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies. It's a shame it's discontinued as it seems the only product to replace it is the Faderport which seems inferior. Just wondering, how noisy is the fader? Also how much were they new - I'm wondering what a fair price is for a used one?
    riojazz
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1337
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/05/17 21:52:33 (permalink)
    Thanks for this thread.  Mine works but constantly makes a little noise all the time, even with SONAR off.  It seems to be trying to send the volume slider down when it is already down.  As a result, I usually have to leave it unplugged or I think I hear a mouse nibbling at regular intervals from the next room...

I'm going to try the SONAR patches shown above.

Software: Cakewalk by Bandlab; Adobe Audition; Band-in-A-Box audiophile; Izotope Ozone; Encore; Melodyne; Win 10 Pro, 64-bit.

Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd; Roland Integra-7; TCE Finalizer; Presonus Central Station, Behringer X-Touch.  Home built i7 with 16 GB RAM, SSDs.
    subtlearts
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/05/17 22:18:40 (permalink)
    Fader here makes no noise except when it's doing something it's supposed to, and then it's kind of fair-to-middling quiet. I've heard quieter ones, I've heard louder ones. It's acceptable to me and I like being able to reach for it and knowing it will do its thing. I think I paid 200 euros or so for it many years ago. It's done pretty well for that, especially since Azslow brought it back from the mostly-dead! (nod to Miracle Max intentional)

tobias tinker 
    music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/05/18 02:02:23 (permalink)
    sorry for posting my old version. Clearly we're up to 5r4b357

:-)

Thanks Azslow3!!

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    KingsMix
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 498
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/05/18 02:08:27 (permalink)
    My Faderport is not working at all with sonar and windows 10. Working fine with Studio one 3 Producer (that's expected).
    tenfoot
    • Total Posts : 2186
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/05/18 06:04:52 (permalink)
    Faderport working perfectly in win10 here.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
    KingsMix
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/05/18 15:24:38 (permalink)
    tenfoot

Good to hear tenfoot.  
    May I ask what driver you are using? Or what steps did you take within Sonar settings to get it going? Was working good for me till upgrade to Win10 Pro.
    Thanks in advance.
    subtlearts
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/05/18 15:37:31 (permalink)
    Works here in W10pro as well. Didn't take any significant steps to get the driver working, but please note that the original Sonar plugin from Frontier is effectively useless at this point. Assuming the basic driver is working - and if it isn't, I don't know what to recommend, as it pretty much just works here with the old drivers - install Azslow's plugin and follow instructions to select the Alphatrack plugin and you should be good to go. Functionality effectively identical to the original plugin - which, again, will never work again so ignore it - but with some additional flexibility and features. 

tobias tinker 
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/05/18 15:49:20 (permalink)
    FP in Win 10 Pro 64bit works here in SONAR, Mixbus4/32C V4, Reaper and (of course) Studio One Pro 3. All 64bit FWIW.

tenfoot
    • Total Posts : 2186
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/05/18 16:20:25 (permalink)
    KingsMix
    tenfoot

Good to hear tenfoot.  
    May I ask what driver you are using? Or what steps did you take within Sonar settings to get it going? Was working good for me till upgrade to Win10 Pro.
    Thanks in advance.

I am using the standard driver from Presonus Kingsmix. There is a link to a comprehensive installation guide below . Take special note to enable aftertouch in preferences as described. Post if you have any issues:

https://www.cakewalk.com/...-SONAR-Control-Surface

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
    azslow3
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/05/18 17:24:46 (permalink)
    KingsMix
    My Faderport is not working at all with sonar and windows 10. Working fine with Studio one 3 Producer (that's expected).

Is it works in Studio one for Windows, so in the same Windows 10 you try to run Sonar?

If yes, the drivers is already installed.
    You can try to make official Sonar plug-in working. Or you can use AZ Controller as explained here: http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,163.0.html For troubleshooting please contact me directly (for AZ Controller way).

If you have tested it in Studio one under OSX, then it can happened you have not installed Windows drivers yet. That is not Sonar and my plug-in specific, so you can look for general information where to get the driver and how to troubleshoot the installation (including official Faderport support, it is still current product). Note:
    http://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/210050723-PreSonus-Windows-10-Compatibility-Statement
    I mean the device should have firmware v1.3.8

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    KingsMix
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/05/23 04:46:47 (permalink)
    azslow3
    KingsMix

Is it works in Studio one for Windows, so in the same Windows 10 you try to run Sonar?

If yes, the drivers is already installed.
    You can try to make official Sonar plug-in working. Or you can use AZ Controller as explained here: http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,163.0.html For troubleshooting please contact me directly (for AZ Controller way).

If you have tested it in Studio one under OSX, then it can happened you have not installed Windows drivers yet. That is not Sonar and my plug-in specific, so you can look for general information where to get the driver and how to troubleshoot the installation (including official Faderport support, it is still current product). Note:
    http://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/210050723-PreSonus-Windows-10-Compatibility-Statement
    I mean the device should have firmware v1.3.8

Hi Azslow,
    I apologize in my delay in responding to your attempt to help with this, been a bit busy.
    That being said, to answer your question about Faderport working in Windows 10, yes it is working in Studio one 3 pro in windows 10, but not Sonar. Yes I installed the latest firmware.
    I'll double check the version of firmware version. Had it working in windows 10 before I upgraded my system to windows 10 pro.
    I'll get back to you on this.
    Thanks in Advance
    KingsMix
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/05/23 04:49:55 (permalink)
    tenfoot
    KingsMix
    tenfoot

Good to hear tenfoot.  
    Thanks in advance.

I am using the standard driver from Presonus Kingsmix. There is a link to a comprehensive installation guide below . Take special note to enable aftertouch in preferences as described. Post if you have any issues:

https://www.cakewalk.com/...-SONAR-Control-Surface

Hi tenfoot,
    I apologize in my delay in responding to your attempt to help with this, been a bit busy.
    Thanks for the link. I'll run through it and see if there is something I'm missing.
    35mm
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/06/01 21:19:03 (permalink)
    Thank you for the replies to this thread. I finally got my AlphaTrack today. The first one went for too much and I was out bided, but I found another in near new condition for less. It arrived today, and I set it up nice and easy with the driver and Azslow3's AZ Controller. It seems to work great most of the time and has some useful features. Some issues have been down to user stupidness, but I have a couple issues that maybe other AlphaTrack users can advise with or Azslow3 might be able to advise.

1. Sometimes it is very responsive, but other times I need to click everything twice to get what I want e.g. track up down, transport buttons etc. Some kind of lag sometimes. Is there a reason or fix for that?
    2. Is there any way to program the function buttons - F1 to F8 to trigger custom commands?
    3. Holding Shift and clicking on the strip should give an audible scrub, but seems to crash Sonar and (or) the AlphTrack.
    I'm still very much learning this thing at the moment.

EDIT: 4. I've just found out I am getting the blue screen of death if I boot Windows (7) with the AlphaTrack connected - using the latest driver from Frontier. If I plug it in after Windows loads, that's fine. Anyone else have this issue? It's not a killer but a PITA if I have to remember to unplug every time I reboot.
    post edited by 35mm - 2017/06/01 22:14:33
    azslow3
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/06/01 22:19:42 (permalink)
    35mm
    1. Sometimes it is very responsive, but other times I need to click everything twice to get what I want e.g. track up down, transport buttons etc. Some kind of lag sometimes. Is there a reason or fix for that?

If you open Utilities / AZ Controller - 1 and look at "Last MIDI event" line. Is it lagging as well?

2. Is there any way to program the function buttons - F1 to F8 to trigger custom commands?

In AZ Controller everything is re-programmable. If you open the "Logic" tab and press some buttons, you will see a set of Actions, one with "Shift:+" another with "Shift:-". You can remove them all and replace let say with "Command" action, then select corresponding command

3. Holding Shift and clicking on the strip should give an audible scrub, but seems to crash Sonar and (or) the AlphTrack.

Scrub crashing/bugging Sonar is normally not surface related (most of the time comes from audio drivers).

35mm
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/06/01 22:27:41 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info Azslow3 and thank you for the AZ Controller without which there would be no point in this old device in Sonar now. It seems great so far.

I was editing my post when you replied so you would have missed No. 4. I don't think you actually have an AlphTrack so may not be able to comment on that. I probably have to put it down to being old hardware with ageing drivers :)

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    azslow3
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/06/01 22:32:59 (permalink)
    You are right, I can not directly help with (4). And (1) can be related.
    From general experience, check the cable, try to use different USB port and USB (power) related options in BIOS/Windows.

35mm
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/06/09 01:38:37 (permalink)
    I'm trying to install az controller on windows 10 but windows is blocking it. How do I get around that?

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    35mm
    Re: Frontier AlphaTrack vs Faderport and Win 10 support 2017/06/09 04:41:36 (permalink)
    OK I installed it via the console run as admin..... and it works woo yay!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1