Helpful ReplyNot sure where this fits.

Author
loopyd
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 117
2017/05/18 21:03:11 (permalink)

Not sure where this fits.

VPS dedicated web-hosting for business
I just chose "Hardware" because esentially you're ordering your own remote server rack.
Mods:  Just move it if the category of this post doesn't fit right.

The Question:
For anyone that has done basic web design or web back-end, what would you recommend for dedicated VPS?

The Problem:
I love a lot of skills besides sound design.  I wanted set up a social web for all aspects of design where others could swap their ideas.  I have quite a bit of Linux RedHat Enterprise and CentOS 6.9 experience from the last blunder, and some decent PHP, Javascript, XML, CSS3, and HTML5 knowledge.  I'd just been through BlueHost.  They're most certainly the most undesirable options, but I don't trust Google reviews.  I paid dearly for it, in time and near $700 in expenses to get a broken unit provided for me dysfunctional to a point I could not use the features built into their control panel.

The broken status of the cpanel at initial login made me think confidently, "this is a test.  things must be broken because I am intended as admin to fix them/keep them running."  Ignorance really was bliss, because I was informed almost immediately by my Discord buddies that should never be the case, you should always be able to login to something completely working, especially after you'd just purchased it.  BlueHost has problems.  More than just their broken installation scripts.  In customer service and support ticket system, it's sub par.  I feel that this is one moment in time I should have actually listened to Google's rating systemI've been waiting for a full refund now for the good of a week because their installation was so rushed, they cannot get in to uninstall the SSL certificaties because that feature of their terminal throws an error at them, and its caused billing problems in their system.

So hopefully after this refund, I'll be looking into dedicated hosting racks, and I would like to know from any admins/web backend people in the community which hosting service you found to be the best value and the best in support and services.  One that would be perfect for building a platform sharing the love of sound design, graphics and film, animation, and all the other digital arts.

The Notice:
I just want reliable hosting service suggestions from those with experience with this.  No "this has already been done", please.  I'd like to build my own platform with as minimal wheel-tinkering as possible.  Its the engine between the wheels and the plush cabin I'm much more after designing, metaphorically speaking.

In therapy for SSH-shell second-hand-managed VPS-induced PTSD.
Courtesy BlueHost

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Not sure where this fits. 2017/05/19 03:31:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby loopyd 2017/05/19 04:59:33
I have used Startlogic for a decade now (I think is now called the "Pro" package). They came highly rated when I was first looking and have been very good with support. I have not used their VPS, and am not sure what the biggest difference is other than guaranteed bandwidth. Unlimited domains can be housed within one account (Pro), and although disk space is "Unlimited" they did throw in the caveat that they monitor bandwidth and will adjust fees based on excessive usage (i.e. if you image your computer to it daily they will charge you for that). They have 24/7 support, so is one to consider, and they will certainly field any questions you have for what you are looking for. The VPS page for them is here.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
loopyd
Re: Not sure where this fits. 2017/05/19 04:59:28 (permalink)
mettelus
I have used Startlogic for a decade now (I think is now called the "Pro" package). They came highly rated when I was first looking and have been very good with support. I have not used their VPS, and am not sure what the biggest difference is other than guaranteed bandwidth. Unlimited domains can be housed within one account (Pro), and although disk space is "Unlimited" they did throw in the caveat that they monitor bandwidth and will adjust fees based on excessive usage (i.e. if you image your computer to it daily they will charge you for that). They have 24/7 support, so is one to consider, and they will certainly field any questions you have for what you are looking for. The VPS page for them is here.

I'll give them a peek.  BlueHost offers the same in "24/7", but no garentees on what sort of attitude you'll get in the morning hours from their "24/7", which could very well mean the drunk IT guy working the graveyard shift.  In BlueHost, that was entirely the case for reporting the issue during the early morning hours.  I had the guy using profanity in the online chat window, disable my sudo access, and end chat before any explanation could be made.  I showed that to day shift.  I heard the line go quiet for a minute and the bending of an old office chair, guy turns to second guy, "Holy crap is this really a thing?  This guy's really been snafoo'd". 

Hey at least the day rep was alright about it, got me a guild invite for one of the local SCA events.  He volunteers.  I think the extension of a personable contact was worth it.  We trade e-mails now.  Him, and his supervisor, where most definitely mortified when they saw the log.  The tired graveyard admin hadn't bothered to check the ticket history for the real deal before his accusitory text wall containing profanity.  Assumptions make an assumption.

I am wary of bandwidth usage limits.  That could be a problem for a social network platform, especially the one I'm interested in building where a designer may upload a fairly large project for review by others.  I will as I said most definitely give them a peek and a phone call to see whats up exactly with the bandwidth regulations there, before I go freezing the ol' credit line over another VPS.  A decade of use though!  My, you can't argue with weathered-in standards like that.  It's nice they'd field me too if they couldn't really provide what I was looking for.

Thank you.

Courtesy BlueHost

patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: Not sure where this fits. 2017/05/19 11:42:35 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby loopyd 2017/05/19 14:21:57
loopyd
a designer may upload a fairly large project...

pointer to other web storage?  That way the bandwidth is absorbed by another service be it Microsoft's One Drive
Dropbox, etc.

Just a thought.  That is how I would do it.  Make a fairly small upload limit and have users host larger items in the cloud of their choosing.

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
loopyd
Re: Not sure where this fits. 2017/05/19 13:40:10 (permalink)
patm300e
loopyd
a designer may upload a fairly large project...

pointer to other web storage?  That way the bandwidth is absorbed by another service be it Microsoft's One Drive
Dropbox, etc.

Just a thought.  That is how I would do it.  Make a fairly small upload limit and have users host larger items in the cloud of their choosing.

You know, I have a static IP now.  Granted my failover still needs configuration (packet bonder likes drop connection when dyanmic ISP DHCP changes it)  I might consider one of those MyCloud units.  They go right into the USB port of any modern router and a passthrough to a lan port to serve up external traffic.

Its easy to have a server DNS record pointing at an IP that never changes.  With VPS I would be able to moderate script access to it, too in ssh. (ndnsd.conf)

I don't have UPS backup yet though, so if power runs out here uploads would be sunk.  Google Drive is flaky being used that way unless you set up a business account.  Currently I pay the basic consumer fee of $11.99 for 1 TB of cloud, but sharing over consumer clouds is marginal at best.  Lot of connection drops.  Single connections on consumer clouds okay, but when you have multiple IPs requesting the same file...yeah.  I'd need to look into GDrive for business, which in such cause is just an auth token as a txt record and that dns redirect I'd spoken of earlier (and you'd suggested).  Easier, less management for me, but more money....  Thank you.  Clouds ARE good that way.  Lax bandwidth restrictions for serving up large files, and mirrors!

Some hosts offer Cloudflare (mirrored cloud services), to manage your backups for you.   But in such cases its harder to do invisible embeds, because Cloudflare forces the surfer through its portal to select an appropriate mirror.  It would be a hinderance to a social network (someone would rather SEE the content on a design website, not have to click through cloudflare mirrors to see it).

I say things in regards to Cloudfare because I appreciate good backups.  I'm sure GDrive for business would ship with a team rotating a backup array and keeping them safe, though.  Google doesn't have the reputation it does because it fails at backups.

(Google broke the Extabyte barier.  Check their 2017 keynote for Quarter 2 :-) )
post edited by loopyd - 2017/05/19 14:40:28

Courtesy BlueHost

loopyd
Re: Not sure where this fits. 2017/05/20 22:54:08 (permalink)
Update on this:  going to go ahead and give startlogic a call to see whats up.  Finally got refunded.  Mette I'll give ya the best answer if it works out.  Thanks for the suggestion, too, pat

Courtesy BlueHost

DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Not sure where this fits. 2017/05/25 16:07:55 (permalink)
Unless you have a heavy use site, I'm not sure why you would want a dedicated host. That could be overkill - depending on your situation.

I used Startlogic for a few years but they blocked my sites over a bogus trademark claim as they interpreted it as a DMCA take down notice. After getting the bogus trademark claim resolved, they never did re-enable those sites.

Startlogic child sites also cause numerous billing and cpanel issues with the 'mother' site. They will never see my business again. I still get spam from them though (after many stop requests).

I started using hostgator since they had a 800 support number at the time. The phone number has since evaporated but I have also not had any issues.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
loopyd
Re: Not sure where this fits. 2017/05/26 01:20:42 (permalink)
DrLumen
Unless you have a heavy use site, I'm not sure why you would want a dedicated host. That could be overkill - depending on your situation.

I used Startlogic for a few years but they blocked my sites over a bogus trademark claim as they interpreted it as a DMCA take down notice. After getting the bogus trademark claim resolved, they never did re-enable those sites.

Startlogic child sites also cause numerous billing and cpanel issues with the 'mother' site. They will never see my business again. I still get spam from them though (after many stop requests).

I started using hostgator since they had a 800 support number at the time. The phone number has since evaporated but I have also not had any issues.

I haven't had these issues so far.  My domain has been transfered over there, my SSL certificates, and everything else.  I'm now in offline dev on the website.  I've set up a mysql migration program to function for me when I'm done as well.

I haven't had issues as of yet.  But it just seems like a lot of the web providers have been having issues....  I will most definitely report on the experiences I've got there, but so far, support has been prompt and very informational and helpful, the three times I asked a question, I was provided the answer for the resolution almost immediately.

As to why I'm seeking a VPS, well, I went with their Supercharge shared plan instead.  If I need anything backend done that would require VPS, their shared hosting support will take care of it for me, take off Ruby on Rails (unforuntely), but I can build Node.js things to work offline and transfer over into libs as js and json, which is okay with me.

Perl and CGI seems to be working just fine as welll,from my tests.  Its been working better off than Bluehost, at least.

Sorry that you had a bogus trademark claim like that.  :-(

Courtesy BlueHost

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1