input monitoring latency

Author
Richard951232
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2017/05/21 22:14:18 (permalink)

input monitoring latency

I'm using X3 with a Roland  UA1G for input and output. I enabled input monitoring when laying down my vocal track.
I use the sonitus reverb plugin for X3.
My singer wants to hear her reverb.
I get huge echo and delay.

I tried changing the output device, I get the same thing.
I'm stuck. Please help. thanks.
Richard in San Jose

3 Replies Related Threads

robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: input monitoring latency 2017/05/22 02:53:57 (permalink)
    Are you using a Driver Mode of ASIO?

If so, what is the ASIO Buffer Size set to?

Also, some effects add a bunch of latency, and are not meant to be used during tracking.  If the lag goes away when you bypass all effects (hitting the letter 'E' on the computer keyboard toggles effects on or off), then your loaded effects are the culprit.  So IF that is the case (by the way hit 'E' again to turn effects processing back on), and you should consider either temporarily swapping out the reverb plugin for some 'leaner' running one that doesn't add too much latency to be practical during recording, OR doing the tracking with the effects bypassed ('E'), though the vocalist would likely not like that second option.

Anyways - please review the above and please also respond to the above questions.

Thanks, 

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    Richard951232
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: input monitoring latency 2017/05/22 13:58:39 (permalink)
    Thx so much. I changed to ASIO drives and it works fine now. MY ASIO drivers dont work sometimes, the driver cant find my UA1G input output device. Now it's working again.

This is great Sonar records the track with no reverb in it. The reverb only sends to the output. This is great
    because we dont want to record the reverb so that we can change the reverb later.
    Great Thx so much
    Richard in San Jose
    brconflict
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1891
    Re: input monitoring latency 2017/05/22 20:37:36 (permalink)
    I'm assuming you're using the Echo function in Sonar. If so, the issue is in the plug-ins with latency. What seems to happen is this:

1) Before playing the song for the singer the first time, the delay/echo might be less than 3ms. That's typically acceptable, although not perfect.
    2) After playing the song once, then stopping, there's now a serious echo/delay on the vocal. Why?

After you start and stop playback of the song the VST engine remains active, meaning all the plug-ins are still active and delay compensation is working. All audio is delayed to keep all plug-ins perfectly aligned. What you're hearing is that compensated delay inside the DAW, which obviously makes the echo button function totally unusable here.

Workarounds
    • Freeze all the tracks you don't need except the vocal track you're recording on. For the reverb, or even compression on the vocal track, use the lightest (non-modeled) plug-ins, such as those included with Sonar.

• Export a stereo mix of the song and import that stereo mix into a new (vocal comp) project, where you will record vocals. From there, you can have removed all possible latency other than the ones caused by ASIO or the plug-ins in the vocal chain. You can later export your vocals and import them back into the original project as needed. In fact, I like doing this because I can essentially do all my vocal comp'ing in one project, save it as the vocal comp project, and only import the vocal comps back into the full song project. It's way cleaner, and I lose nothing after janitorial work is complete.
    • Adjust latency to the sample by using the Offset function. To accomplish this:
      • Physically loop back your audio output to your audio input with a cable.
      • Play and record the metronome to a track. You can use this loopback. Latency here doesn't yet matter. 
      • Now play back the recorded metronome to yet another new track using the loopback.
      • Compare the offset in latency between the two recorded metronome tracks. Measure the number of samples (use the ruler) that the two tracks differ in the start of each metronome pulse.
      • Use the Offset function (+/-) in Sonar's Preferences for this audio interface (be sure this one is selected before touching the offset.).
      • Retest each adjustment to how far or close your second metronome track is lining up with the first.
      • If the correct (+/-) number of samples is entered and saved, you will have corrected your hardware latency to the sample, which is better than ASIO can do.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1