Helpful ReplyTo Wipe Completely, or Partially?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/27 21:27:00 (permalink)
When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was about personal hygiene. I was going to say, wipe completely in order to avoid the dreaded itch!

As far as Windows goes, doing a full wipe/re-install is always best, saves long term hassle and has the best results.

I also took the late upgrade for accessibility users from a similar article. Although I am an accessibility user (well technically). It's worked fine for me as far as Sonar etc goes, but Chrome crashes all the time if I try to use it on this machine under win 10. However, I didn't take my own advice and did the upgrade from win 7.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/27 22:59:39 (permalink)
35mm
When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was about personal hygiene. I was going to say, wipe completely in order to avoid the dreaded itch!

As far as Windows goes, doing a full wipe/re-install is always best, saves long term hassle and has the best results.

I also took the late upgrade for accessibility users from a similar article. Although I am an accessibility user (well technically). It's worked fine for me as far as Sonar etc goes, but Chrome crashes all the time if I try to use it on this machine under win 10. However, I didn't take my own advice and did the upgrade from win 7.

Yup, I wiped my Win 7 desktop and clean installed Win 10.  Smooth as butter.

I upgraded my Win 8.1 laptop and got lucky.  Had to do some cleaning up, but it works well.

I think the leap in technology from the Win 7 era to Win 10 deserves a clean sweep.  That's an 8 year old technology.  Better to start fresh from that point!  YMMV. 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/28 17:35:11 (permalink)
Wipe and clean install?
What did you do not to have to pay for a Win10 license?
abacab
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/28 17:39:59 (permalink)
jpetersen
Wipe and clean install?

You first run the in place upgrade, activate the digital license, download the Windows 10 media creation tool (on USB or DVD), and install again by wipe and clean.  No activation needed the second time around.

jpetersen
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/28 17:45:46 (permalink)
abacab
... plus it boots in about 10-15 seconds! 

In Win10 the desktop displays sooner, giving the illusion of being quicker.
But the Wait cursor keeps turning and stuff is still loading.

Same with shutdown.
The desktop is black almost immediately.
But the power light stays on for some time.

Add it all up and I saw no meaningful difference to when I had Win 7 loaded.
jpetersen
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/28 17:48:56 (permalink)
abacab
jpetersen
Wipe and clean install?

You first run the in place upgrade, activate the digital license, download the Windows 10 media creation tool (on USB or DVD), and install again by wipe and clean.  No activation needed the second time around.

Ah! Excellent!
Thank you.
abacab
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/28 17:52:41 (permalink)
jpetersen

Buy a new PC.
Only then will you benefit from faster hardware made for Win10.

I haven't bought a PC in 20 years (except for a couple of laptops).  I have built every one since the first one.  Spec em to last with custom components. 

jpetersen
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/28 17:54:51 (permalink)
Ah, yes.

I record on-site at clients, so I use laptops.
That limits my options.
jpetersen
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/28 18:00:21 (permalink)
abacab

I've done my upgrade now (feeling a bit more confident...) so the first step is done.
Suppose I change out the hard drive for a new SSD instead of wiping my existing HD.

Trouble?
abacab
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/28 19:04:50 (permalink)
jpetersen
abacab

I've done my upgrade now (feeling a bit more confident...) so the first step is done.
Suppose I change out the hard drive for a new SSD instead of wiping my existing HD.

Trouble?

I think just maybe to be sure, keep the same hard drive in so you don't have to jump thru any hoops with the Microsoft team regarding activation.  Maybe not necessary, but this eliminates that possibility.  I still haven't figured out how Microsoft profiles your system with the new digital licensing scheme.

After the clean install, use an external USB hookup (either cable adapter with power and SATA, or full enclosure) with the new SSD drive.  If it comes with one, use the cloning tool software provided with the new drive to clone the internal HDD drive over to SSD.  Then just swap drives and boot! For the first boot make sure you only have one drive connected, so the BIOS correctly identifies the SSD as the new boot drive.

Some folks have their favorite imaging or cloning tools that they may prefer, but I used the Samsung migration tool that came with my Samsung EVO 850, and the process was flawless.  Adding this drive was like buying a whole new computer.  Love it!
http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-850-evo-2-5-sata-iii-250gb-mz-75e250b-am/

scottcmusic
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 130
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/28 20:58:31 (permalink)
I think the AV I used on my other laptop was the FREE version of Avast ... not Avira ... I liked that pretty well but they do keep try to get you to upgrade to a pay version. It actually worked pretty darn well and even saved me from a few incoming virus bombs that would have really made life difficult. But I will check into Avira since abacab rated it so highly (I love the genesis album Abacab if that's where you are getting this! Heck, I love old Genesis).

One thing that always used to tempt me to upgrade my Avast AV to the paid version was they kept throwing prompts that said words to the effect of, "Avast sees 13 steps it can take to improve the performance and speed of your PC. Upgrade Now to enjoy this smoking feature!"

Then the next week it was "Avast sees 23 things it can do to improve the performance ... "

So it was an ongoing thing that kept escalating as the laptop deteriorated ... I was always tempted to upgrade just to understand what it was going to do in the registry to make things run faster. Long story short, I never did. Something about messing around in the registry give me the willies.

But I like the idea of having at least something on there for when I do have to go online. I wonder had anybody used and liked Windows Defender as their only line of defense?
post edited by scottcmusic - 2017/06/29 21:53:45

it appears i've fallen off the tune-wagon yet again ...

| scott c
http://scottcmusic.com/
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/scottc
https://soundcloud.com/scott-cmusic
abacab
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/28 21:59:17 (permalink)
scottcmusic
I think the AV I used on my other laptop was the FREE version of Avast ... not Avira ... I liked that pretty well but they do keep try to get you to upgrade. The think worked pretty darn well and even saved me from a few incoming virus bombs that would have really made life difficult. But I will check into Avira since abacab rated it so highly (I love the genesis album Abacab if that's where you are getting this! Heck, I love old Genesis).

One thing that always used to tempt me to upgrade my Avast AV to the paid version was they kept throwing prompts that said words to the effect of, "Avast sees 13 steps it can take to improve the performance and speed of your PC. Upgrade Now to enjoy this smoking feature!"

Then the next week it was "Avast sees 23 things it can do to improve the performance ... "

So it was an ongoing thing that kept escalating as the laptop deteriorated ... I was always tempted to upgrade just to understand what it was going to do in the registry to make things run faster. Long story short, I never did. Something about messing around in the registry give me the willies.

But I like the idea of having at least something on there for when I do have to go online. I wonder had anybody used and liked Windows Defender as their only line of defense?

I think if you are smart about what you click on and invite into your computer, you might be OK with Defender. 

I follow a few computer security forums and blogs, as well as some AV test sites.  The scores and reviews for Microsoft products have until recently been strictly bottom shelf as far as detection goes.  I used Avast for several years, and encouraged all my family and friends as well to use it.  But as you noted, it became increasingly bloated.  Then I noticed that their scores were slipping as well.  So I started looking around.  Ended up with Avira.

In most of the latest tests reports I have seen, the consistent top three are Avira, Bitdefender, and Kaspersky.

These three usually always score at or near 100% detection for known malware in the wild.  There are a few other that occasionally make top scores.

Of those three, only Avira and Bitdefender offer free versions.  In all fairness Avast seems to have improved lately, and they have acquired AVG as well.  I have been testing the latest Avast with a Windows XP install that I run in a virtual machine, and it seems to be nag free and lean these days.  Might be worth another look.

Another new security tool that I am very fond of is VoodooShield.  It is a whitelist based protection that only allows executables with known good status and signed code, etc. to run.  It is very light on resources, and in "Smart" mode, it only switches on when you open a web browser.  It's approach to security is that running unknown code while you are connected to the web is never a good idea, LOL! 

So I run the AV along with VoodooShield now.  I feel better with a lock on my computer!
Free for non-commercial home use.  https://voodooshield.com/

scottcmusic
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/29 21:57:49 (permalink)
I will take a look ... sounds pretty good. I like when an AV can lay low while I'm offline ...

| scott c
jpetersen
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/29 22:26:27 (permalink)
Thanks, appreciate the help.

Btw, Abacab was very much in the Phil Collins era of Genesis.
"Old" Genesis surely must be considered the Gabriel era, up to 1974/5
abacab
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/29 22:58:33 (permalink)
jpetersen

Yup, i followed Genesis from mid-70's until there were 3, & listened to a lot of the early stuff...

The handle I picked just jumped into my head a few years ago, when Cakewalk started the new single sign-on store that included the forum ID.  I was trying to buy a last minute deal and had to setup a new sign-on at the last minute.  I guess that I had recently watched "Genesis Live at Wembley Stadium" (1987), and on impulse that was the first name that popped into my head, LOL!

If given more time I could have chosen something more classic!  But I still think that Tony Banks chops in that track really rock!

space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/30 03:35:26 (permalink)
abacab
Now there's a die hard for ya!!!

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
space_cowboy
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/30 03:37:53 (permalink)
on a less serious note:
I always copy the various directories (program files, vst plugins...) and the various cakewalk content over to an external hard drive.  

That way, when i begin the laborious process of reinstalling everything, I have a road map of what the prior programs and plugins were and how they were organized.  

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
space_cowboy
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/30 03:39:06 (permalink)
Then again I have way too many plugins.  This last upgrade cycle, I skipped entire companies of plugins.  Not many, but several.  

CJaysMusic
  • Total Posts : 30423
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/30 14:49:36 (permalink)

To Wipe Completely, or Partially?

I Wipe would wipe completely. You do not want to leave cling-ons 

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
Audio Blog
scottcmusic
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/30 21:58:42 (permalink)
jpetersen

Yes sir. Good call. I didn't mean to imply it was old ... well, it's old, just not old as it sits in their catalog. I just meant that is an album that I like very much ... but also that I love their earlier stuff best ... it was two thoughts that I just ran together. My favorite is right after Phil took over as lead singer .. (love peter too, but more his solo stuff) ... Seconds Out being the ultimate to me. I liked them best with Steve Hackett to be honest ... but Mike can wiggle the wires pretty damn well himself! But you gotta give it up for that Firth of Fifth solo on Seconds Out!

Sorry for diversion ... we now return you to your regularly scheduled wiping program:

| scott c
scottcmusic
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/30 22:01:19 (permalink)

Yup, i followed Genesis from mid-70's until there were 3, & listened to a lot of the early stuff...

The handle I picked just jumped into my head a few years ago, when Cakewalk started the new single sign-on store that included the forum ID.  I was trying to buy a last minute deal and had to setup a new sign-on at the last minute.  I guess that I had recently watched "Genesis Live at Wembley Stadium" (1987), and on impulse that was the first name that popped into my head, LOL!

If given more time I could have chosen something more classic!  But I still think that Tony Banks chops in that track really rock!

I want to be Tony Banks on keys ...

| scott c
jpetersen
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/30 22:26:22 (permalink)
I actually prefer the Collins era.
I have friends who would have me flogg'd and quarter'd for admitting that.

Back to the wipes.
abacab
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/30 23:13:35 (permalink)
jpetersen
I actually prefer the Collins era.
I have friends who would have me flogg'd and quarter'd for admitting that.

Back to the wipes.

"Genesis Live at Wembley Stadium" (1987), is an awesome performance.  I have it on VHS Hi-Fi and DVD.  They recorded it on Sony hi-definition film, with full digital hi-fi sound, so it holds up well even by today's standards.

My favorite part is when Phil performs the drum duet with Chester, their live tour drummer! 

abacab
Re: To Wipe Completely, or Partially? 2017/06/30 23:38:53 (permalink)
But then there is this.  I wish I had Tony's keyboard rig, could play guitar like Mike Rutherford, and play drums like Phil Collins ... in a sold out Wembley stadium ...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1