Bug or User Error? MIDI Event List View Quirky After an Edit....

Author
SonicExplorer
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 775
2017/05/23 04:45:46 (permalink)

Bug or User Error? MIDI Event List View Quirky After an Edit....

Guys, I apologize up front if I may be overlooking something simple but I had to do some unexpected work on an old S5 project and just can't seem to identify what poltergeist is suddenly haunting me when editing MIDI events in the Event List View.  When changing the velocity of drum events the list moves to another event in time as I commit each edit.  Sort of like a page refresh that leaves me sitting on a different event than I edited.  I simply cannot figure what the problem might be...

Help!?....

Thanks,

Sonic
post edited by SonicExplorer - 2017/05/24 04:20:30

7 Replies Related Threads

SonicExplorer
    Re: Bug or User Error? MIDI Event List View Quirky After an Edit.... 2017/05/24 09:47:12 (permalink)
    OK, here's what I've discovered so far:

- If I am on the beginning of the song such that the event list window has not begun to scroll down yet, there is no problem making edits within that view.
    - Once the event list window has begun to scroll, if I edit the last entry at the bottom of the window there is no problem.
    - Any other edit scenario results in the focus jumping backward in time, anywhere from a measure to a handful of measures.

Anybody have an idea as to what's causing this behavior??   

Sonic
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: Bug or User Error? MIDI Event List View Quirky After an Edit.... 2017/05/24 13:42:39 (permalink)
    I have noticed that if the EL is somewhere in the middle or end, an edit will cause the edited note to jump to the bottom, but I always assumed that was normal since it always does it. The edits aren't messed up in any way, just that the edited line is moved to the bottom.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    dlion16
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 391
    Re: Bug or User Error? MIDI Event List View Quirky After an Edit.... 2017/05/24 14:03:15 (permalink)
    A similar thing with inserting a bus in cv. Insert a bus to the left of master, the cursor scrolls all the way left to the first bus… 

SONAR Platinum Lifetime 64-bit; Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen.; KRK Rokit 5; ASUS P9X79; INTEL I7-3820 3.6 GHZ;
    850 WATT POWER SUPPLY; EVGA NVIDIA GTX560 TI 1GB;
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit; 32GB RAM;
    2 Internal SSD Drives, 3 External USB drives.
    SonicExplorer
    Re: Bug or User Error? MIDI Event List View Quirky After an Edit.... 2017/05/24 22:12:47 (permalink)
    57Gregy
    I have noticed that if the EL is somewhere in the middle or end, an edit will cause the edited note to jump to the bottom, but I always assumed that was normal since it always does it. The edits aren't messed up in any way, just that the edited line is moved to the bottom.

Yup, that is what is happening (I think).   I was hoping to use the EL to be able to quickly view and edit velocities of various kick notes through the song (but not all of them - every other one or so).  But if the EL keeps jumping around every time I make an edit, this approach becomes unworkable.   And I can't let the event/note view sit on the bottom of the window either because I need to be able to see the notes both before & after in order to determine which notes I wish to alter the velocity of.

Argh.   If anybody has any ideas about how to maybe get the view to stop jumping around after an edit please let me know....

Sonic
    SonicExplorer
    Re: Bug or User Error? MIDI Event List View Quirky After an Edit.... 2017/05/24 22:14:10 (permalink)
    57Gregy

That is just what is happening (I think).   I was hoping to use the EL to be able to quickly view and edit velocities of kicks (but not all of them - every other one or so).  But if the EL keeps jumping around every time I make an edit, this approach becomes unworkable.   And I can't let the event/note view sit on the bottom of the window because I need to be able to see the notes both before & after in order to determine which notes I wish to alter the velocity of.

Argh.   If anybody has any ideas about how to maybe get the view to stop jumping around please let me know....

Sonic
    post edited by SonicExplorer - 2017/05/24 22:45:15
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: Bug or User Error? MIDI Event List View Quirky After an Edit.... 2017/05/25 00:56:00 (permalink)
    Controller pane?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    jsg
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1079
    Re: Bug or User Error? MIDI Event List View Quirky After an Edit.... 2017/05/25 19:14:54 (permalink)
    SonicExplorer
    Guys, I apologize up front if I may be overlooking something simple but I had to do some unexpected work on an old S5 project and just can't seem to identify what poltergeist is suddenly haunting me when editing MIDI events in the Event List View.  When changing the velocity of drum events the list moves to another event in time as I commit each edit.  Sort of like a page refresh that leaves me sitting on a different event than I edited.  I simply cannot figure what the problem might be...

Help!?....

Thanks,

Sonic

The Event List, unlike other views, is not tied to playback start time.  If you want to have playback start, and go back to, a specific point in time, while the Event List is open and has the focus, hit F9 at the point where you want to return to after playback (assuming you've told Sonar to revert to start time after playback). 

The Event List has always functioned as such.  

Jerry
    www.jerrygerber.com/store.htm
    www.jerrygerber.com/discs.htm

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1