2- or 4-piece sound system for $750 or less?

Author
davdud101
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1058
2017/05/25 22:05:20 (permalink)

2- or 4-piece sound system for $750 or less?

Hey, guys!

I'm always asking about gear here because I know you guys have experience with it. I've asked here before, but both my needs and budget have changed a little bit since I last posted about it, so I figured it might be worth taking another look at it now.

I'm not *exactly* sure how certain our needs our, but I’m looking into a 2- or 4-piece sound system - subwoofer not really needed - for a relatively small hall in a church. The room is about 2-1/2 or 3 times as long as it is wide, being about 30ft*100ft-ish, so I’d like to get a pair or speakers for the back of the room as well. The place is mostly carpeted and there’s not a mad amount of reverb.

I’m mostly looking to see what brands and features I should be looking for in this price point. The system will likely be semi-permanent, only being removed *possibly* once yearly, if at all. I’m also assuming that at this price point, I can buy most of the better brands and not be taking a real “risk” in terms of that it might not be "good enough", right?

Bonus points if you can recommend a good live mixer with 8 or 12 inputs and some on-board EQ and maybe FX!

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3

7 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: 2- or 4-piece sound system for $750 or less? 2017/05/25 23:17:30 (permalink)
    Is what your saying you need 4 speakers for $750??
    You won't get 4 good speakers for that unless they are very small passive. Then you need a power amp which will cost that amount too.  For that price point you are not looking at the top brands at all. Example that's the price for just one Yamaha , QSC or JBL powered speaker. Have you not looked on the Sweetwater or MF site yet?? 

For sure you will need powered speakers. The best bang for the buck is Alto. Excellent sound and so far hard to find a negative review. The 10" are fine too if just for simple acoustic music.  I've had mine for more than a year now and I'm very pleased. Lots of clean power and even though they are only 12" they kick out a good low end. I'm not a fan of 15" speakers anyhow. 
    https://www.altoproaudio.com/products/ts212

That's not a good idea to put speakers at the rear of the room unless you understand how to set them up with a delay, very advanced skills needed for that. If you can fly the speakers or just get them up there on stands. 
     Shopping used or demos in music stores is a great plan-I picked up a pair of Mackie 10" powered speakers that had been demos for only $150 each. New they were $450 each

Analog mixers are very affordable these days. My top pick last year was a Yamaha MPG 16. That handled a 5 piece band no problem. I chose it over the others because of the feature set and our needs. Every situation is different. Like how many monitors and Aux you need.
    Make sure to count the XLR inputs and faders. They tend to call mixers 12 channels when It's really 8.  
    This is the mixer I would buy this time because I'm in a 3 piece band now.   https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Sig12MT 
    But I will probably go with a Behringer X12 air. Which is worth looking into if your tech savvy and have an iPad.   

post edited by Cactus Music - 2017/05/26 00:38:35

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: 2- or 4-piece sound system for $750 or less? 2017/05/26 00:04:05 (permalink)
    Your best bet at that price will be the used market. Hit the papers and look for guy that's dumping his PA system.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    Cactus Music
    Re: 2- or 4-piece sound system for $750 or less? 2017/05/26 00:43:54 (permalink)
    ampfixer
    Your best bet at that price will be the used market. Hit the papers and look for guy that's dumping his PA system.

Like me, I just sold my Yamaha club series 12" with 2" horns for $200. Perfect condition. The guy who is in a duo I sometimes play bass with,  was happy as he had a good power amp already but was using these terrible Community's. Worst speaker I'd ever sang though. He also just bought a Behringer X32! Just him and his wife ? He paid over $6,000 for his Pro Tools set up. It's nice but?? 
    post edited by Cactus Music - 2017/05/26 03:29:49

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

davdud101
    Re: 2- or 4-piece sound system for $750 or less? 2017/05/28 11:55:33 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    Is what your saying you need 4 speakers for $750??
    You won't get 4 good speakers for that unless they are very small passive. Then you need a power amp which will cost that amount too.  For that price point you are not looking at the top brands at all. Example that's the price for just one Yamaha , QSC or JBL powered speaker. Have you not looked on the Sweetwater or MF site yet?? 

For sure you will need powered speakers. The best bang for the buck is Alto.

I'll look into the Altos.. this is my first time seeing them. Of course the reason we're doing it this way is to balance our "in-house" sound. Usually pretty weak in the low-end, piano and guitars aren't even amplified, and things can get a little overpowered with a larger horn section and kit.

Cactus Music
    That's not a good idea to put speakers at the rear of the room unless you understand how to set them up with a delay, very advanced skills needed for that.

Whoa, thanks for letting me know! That something I never would have known without mentioning it here. In that case, I'll divide that $750 between only two speakers and some hardware. That'll probably do the best for what we need - I'm not looking to perfectly mix for a stadium, just improve the overall balance within the small room (I like to think of it as "double-club"-sized, being about twice the width of a lot of the clubs and smaller gigs I've played and attended).

I'll be on the lookout for a good mixer and some used speakers. I know they're out there, but I haven't been keeping my eyes peeled for 'em! I don't need to exclusively be looking for PA speakers though, do I? Some studio monitors can meet the specs as well, I'm guessing?

Cactus Music
    Re: 2- or 4-piece sound system for $750 or less? 2017/05/28 14:39:23 (permalink)
    "I'll be on the lookout for a good mixer and some used speakers. I know they're out there, but I haven't been keeping my eyes peeled for 'em! I don't need to exclusively be looking for PA speakers though, do I? Some studio monitors can meet the specs as well, I'm guessing?"

Yes you do need to look at PA speakers. Using anything else is compromising your sound.  Studio monitors are more like 100 Watts and your looking at 300 watts plus for a room like that. PA speakers are designed for what they do, studio monitors are designed for what they do. 

Use the Sweetwater and Musicians Friend sites to look at gear, Read the reviews as you go. That is why I ended up with Altos. A balance of price point and positive reviews form all. Once I narrow things down I always go and buy at a local music store. They always price match best they can too. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

davdud101
    Re: 2- or 4-piece sound system for $750 or less? 2017/05/30 00:06:23 (permalink)
    Coming back around and after a little bit of option-weighing, I'm seeing that it would likely be the best overall option to look into a 2-speaker system that comes with a (minimum) 8-channel mixing module. Most of those seems to have, at the very least, per-channel EQs on them. I'd need at least that, so that'd fit perfectly.
    But how would I go about finding a pair of speakers that are small enough to be rather portable (they don't need to be *TINY*, but I don't want anything ridiculously huge and heavy), and yet be certain that they'll be loud enough and carry enough bass for my needs? Are there are guidelines/specs I could be looking at? I'm thinking things like tweeter/woofer sizes etc.

Cactus Music
    Re: 2- or 4-piece sound system for $750 or less? 2017/05/30 14:30:21 (permalink)
    Well the Altos are very portable. Weight was a big factor for me when I was comparing speakers. They have 3  handles too top and sides.   Birch plywood was common and what we used for the last 4 decades but now most boxes are moulded which not only brought down manufacturing prices but made them lighter. Even though my Alto's are powered they way a few pounds less than my old Yamaha unpowered boxes. That's why I would never go back to un powered systems. My power amp weighed 80Lbs!! 

Look at the Mackie, Yamaha, Soundcraft and Allen &Heath small mixers. Make sure there is 8 XLR's. And if your going to need stage monitors make sure you have at least 2 Aux sends plus effects. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1