Cannot Record from imported WAV file

Author
PittsburghSteelMan
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2017/05/26 14:54:53 (permalink)

Cannot Record from imported WAV file

Hi Folks,
I'm trying to do something that should be simple and I just can't get it to work. Here's the scenario:

I have a mono wav file of a live show and imported it into Sonar. I added some effects to give it a stereo sound. So far so good...
When I try to write it with the changes (effects) I rewind it to the beginning, arm the tracks and hit the record button. I see the counter increment but hear nothing on the headphones. When I stop the recording and play it back the audio is overwritten with silence up to the point where I stopped the recording. I don't think it makes a difference in I'm using a Tascam US-1800 as the replacement for the internal sound card. Can anyone help me to get this working?

Thanks in advance!
Jonny

7 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Cannot Record from imported WAV file 2017/05/26 15:10:25 (permalink)
    It's trying to record on top of the file already there. What you want to do is go to Process -> Apply Effect -> Audio Effects. That will re-record the track with effects applied. The downside is that the process is not un-doable after closing the project. A better way is to freeze the track, making sure you've gone into Freeze Options first and checked the box labeled "Track FX".

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    PittsburghSteelMan
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Cannot Record from imported WAV file 2017/05/26 17:39:06 (permalink)
    I couldn't find where to freeze the track but I was able to apply the effects per your instructions. It took a while since the file is almost 2 hrs long but it sounds exactly like it should. I have a copy of the original file in a separate folder so if by chance I want to re-work it I can go back to the original. Thanks so much for your help....Now to go back to Sound Forge to split the file into separate files, 1 per song...

Jonny
    THambrecht
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 867
    Re: Cannot Record from imported WAV file 2017/05/26 17:59:13 (permalink)
    You can also split to songs in SONAR very easy.
    We digitaze tapes and vinyl with SONAR for consumers. Splitting a 2-hour file in SONAR takes about 2 to 4 minutes.
    SONAR is the fastest software to restaure and split thousends of tapes and vinyl into songs. We do that since 15 years daily.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
    4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
    bluzdog
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1928
    Re: Cannot Record from imported WAV file 2017/05/26 18:32:22 (permalink)
    THambrecht
    You can also split to songs in SONAR very easy.
    We digitaze tapes and vinyl with SONAR for consumers. Splitting a 2-hour file in SONAR takes about 2 to 4 minutes.
    SONAR is the fastest software to restaure and split thousends of tapes and vinyl into songs. We do that since 15 years daily.

I'm interested your workflow for splitting long projects into songs.

Rocky
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Cannot Record from imported WAV file 2017/05/26 18:49:18 (permalink)
    There are several ways. Here are a few links to the appropriate locations in the help for some of the methods
    Bounce - creates a new track with FX applied (if the option is enabled)
    Freeze - similar to bounce but operates in the existing track. Also has an undo option.
    Apply FX - applies FX destructively to the track.
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Cannot Record from imported WAV file 2017/05/26 19:02:59 (permalink)
    Ya, I find a wave editor is custom made to do these chores. You could have actually applied the reverb, eq or any effects your heart desires in any wave editor. Most of them will even share plug ins from Sonar. 

I like to break live recordings into 5 song chunks so the rendering doesn't take so long. 
    I do a lot of stuff on my Tascam DR40 and then edit it in Wave Lab. It is by far the best tool ( for me ) to work on stereo files. 
    Licencing means I can only use Wave lab on my one computer so when I'm somewhere else I am forced to use  either Gold Wave, Wavosuar  or Audacity. Compared to Wave Lab those are clunky. Everything takes more actions to achieve.  I tried Sonar but the saving function, like Audacity, requires an Export so is real slow compared to just editing and hitting save like you do in WL.  Once you've used software that does these things in one mouse click or keystroke, all others seem tedious. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

THambrecht
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 867
    Re: Cannot Record from imported WAV file 2017/05/26 19:03:21 (permalink)
    @bluzdog
    Splitting long projects is just exercise. Very important is the horizontal mouse wheel zoom factor of 6.0
    So you can very fast zoom in to have an overview of the wave - and zoom in to split the clip. And after some time you get the look and the exercise to fast zoom in and out and "see" where you have to split without listening.
    Sometimes I watch TV and split 30 hours of tapes without listening to the music.
    Left hand on the "ALT"-key (for split-cursor) and right hand on the mouse - zooming in and out and splitting.
    In SONAR you can load projects with up to 80 hours of audio. Or up to 400 GB per project without any problem.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
    4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1