Helpful ReplyRipple Edit WARNING!

Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
2017/05/27 15:48:48 (permalink)

Ripple Edit WARNING!

The warning is that it works the way it's supposed to work! As someone who has screwed up several projects in Vegas because I forgot it was on, used it, and sent various clips way down on the timeline flying off into unexpected places, I highly recommend:

• Turn on Ripple Editing when you need to do a ripple edit.
  • Turn it off when you're finished with the edit.

I believe there are keyboard shortcuts for the Ripple Edit options. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Ripple Edit WARNING! 2017/05/27 16:01:08 (permalink)
Thanks for the tip, Craig. 
I would certainly have forgotten to turn it off when done 
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

bvideo
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1707
Re: Ripple Edit WARNING! 2017/05/27 16:12:27 (permalink)
It would be great if Sonar adopts the cool post-edit ripple that Vegas has. If ripple is off when you do a ripple-eligible edit, you can tell Vegas to do the ripple after the fact.

W10 pro, Sonar Platinum, Alesis Multimix 16 FW, MOTU Express 128, Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, i7 8700K, 16 Gigs, ssd + 2 X 2T disks, D50-MEX, JV80, A90EX, M1REX
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Ripple Edit WARNING! 2017/05/27 16:26:12 (permalink)
Anderton

I believe there are keyboard shortcuts for the Ripple Edit options. 

I found them in Keyboard shortcuts in the Track View area. Do you know why there are 4? The Enable/Disable functions seem redundant.

ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Ripple Edit WARNING! 2017/05/27 16:50:36 (permalink)
Is ripple editing some kind of region effect?

I had thought it would be a change to the entire timeline concept and be relatively transparent to the user. Now I have anxiety. I will definitely wait until there's some documentation available before I think about making this update.

I'm working on a project where the tracks are up to 50 minutes in length and require many instances of cut and delete hole. I was hoping this update would help, but obviously I missed the concept.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Lord Tim
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 837
Re: Ripple Edit WARNING! 2017/05/27 17:11:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2017/05/27 19:20:56
Yeah, this is a timeline thing, similar to delete hole and slide. It's pretty great!

My biggest wish is getting an indicator out somewhere on the Control Bar that this is engaged, and what mode it's in. Having to go into the track menu is just asking for an idiot like me to forget it's on and ruin a project. 

WWW: www.lord.net.au  FB: www.facebook.com/lordtimofficial
Bandlab: www.bandlab.com/lordtim

Cakewalk by Bandlab / DAW: i7 M620 @ 2.67 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win10 64 Bit [eng], TASCAM US-16x08 @ 5.8ms (22.7ms RTL) ASIO, Behringer UMX61 Keyboard Controller.
Keith Albright [Cakewalk]
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1117
Re: Ripple Edit WARNING! 2017/05/27 17:14:14 (permalink)
ampfixer

I had thought it would be a change to the entire timeline concept and be relatively transparent to the user. Now I have anxiety. I will definitely wait until there's some documentation available before I think about making this update.

I'm working on a project where the tracks are up to 50 minutes in length and require many instances of cut and delete hole. I was hoping this update would help, but obviously I missed the concept.

Eh?  It's a mode of editing, not a region effect.  That said, if you want to select two separate clips at different places on the timeline and fill in both time selections in one step by a delete, you can.  :)
Or if you want to drag select a block of empty space and clips together in one unit, you can.

Or if you are asking is it compatible with clips with region effects?  The answer is yes, it will work with existing Melodyne clips, Drum Replacer, Vocal Sync.

If I haven't answered your question, try spelling out what it is you are trying to accomplish.

Keith

Keith
Anderton
Re: Ripple Edit WARNING! 2017/05/27 17:22:01 (permalink)
ampfixer

No, it just moves or deletes material on the timeline. 

Just don't enable it for now. The eZine has several examples that show how it's used. The nature of the warning is that it is transparent to the user! So much so you can forget you left it on. IOW words, Ripple Editing does what you tell it to do, so you want to make sure you tell it the right thing.

You will LOVE the way it cuts and deletes holes!!!! The improvement over the old way of doing things is huge. You can delete sections that have no data, the results with MIDI are more predictable, you can have it so cutting one section cuts the entire song or just that track, etc. My only suggestion is to turn off Snap to Zero Crossings and if possible, snap the edits to the grid. This makes it much easier to keep the edits consistent. 

I recommend installing the update and practicing on a "saved as" project, you'll figure it out pretty fast if you just use it and observe the results. The eZine will be out soon enough with some real-world examples. Meanwhile, if you're nervous about using it on an existing project, just don't enable it.

The Bakers really did an outstanding job on this IMHO. It's a big deal that will make arranging, inserting, deleting time, and many other operations so much easier.

In a nutshell, think of Ripple Editing as editing the timeline, and the clips go along for the ride. It's really cool.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Ripple Edit WARNING! 2017/05/27 17:30:41 (permalink)
This is sounding great. Right now I have to manually move markers after I delete chunks. Being able to skip that will save me a lot of time. I'm going to wait for the official drop while reading the field reports from the brave and eager.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
VariousArtist
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1397
Re: Ripple Edit WARNING! 2017/05/27 17:38:09 (permalink)
Anderton
 In a nutshell, think of Ripple Editing as editing the timeline, and the clips go along for the ride. It's really cool.

This is a great way to describe Ripple Editing.

FWIW I think the term itself comes across as confusing. I recall when I was learning Vegas Video that I avoided that strange sounding term. I think it's an obvious feature that has an unfortunately anxiety-inducing name :-)
promidi
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1220
Re: Ripple Edit WARNING! 2017/05/27 22:38:37 (permalink)
What magical version of the early release do you have?  I am not seeing these keyboard shortcuts options for Ripple Edit when I go to the above screen on my system.

The ripple edit entries do appear in the options menu for the track view so I know I have downloaded and installed the 2017 May ER

Edit:

It seems that, at least on my Splat, that to see all the keybinding entries I have to NOT be using any lenses.  IE; set lenses to "none".  I did this and can now see and set the keyboard shortcuts options for Ripple Edit. For any lenses, I have to deselect "Keyboard shortcuts" for any custom bindings to be active.
post edited by promidi - 2017/05/27 23:04:32

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
CPU: i5 4670. 
Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
: Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
bokchoyboy
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 238
Re: Ripple Edit WARNING! 2017/05/29 18:11:58 (permalink)
Anderton
ampfixer

No, it just moves or deletes material on the timeline. 

Just don't enable it for now. The eZine has several examples that show how it's used. The nature of the warning is that it is transparent to the user! So much so you can forget you left it on. IOW words, Ripple Editing does what you tell it to do, so you want to make sure you tell it the right thing.

You will LOVE the way it cuts and deletes holes!!!! The improvement over the old way of doing things is huge. You can delete sections that have no data, the results with MIDI are more predictable, you can have it so cutting one section cuts the entire song or just that track, etc. My only suggestion is to turn off Snap to Zero Crossings and if possible, snap the edits to the grid. This makes it much easier to keep the edits consistent. 

I recommend installing the update and practicing on a "saved as" project, you'll figure it out pretty fast if you just use it and observe the results. The eZine will be out soon enough with some real-world examples. Meanwhile, if you're nervous about using it on an existing project, just don't enable it.

The Bakers really did an outstanding job on this IMHO. It's a big deal that will make arranging, inserting, deleting time, and many other operations so much easier.

Looking forward to examples of ripple editing in action as I am thick as a brick when it comes to most of the editing capabilities in Platinum...
I still struggle with comping
Salud!
Anderton
Re: Ripple Edit WARNING! 2017/05/29 18:57:52 (permalink)
I think once you see how it's used, you'll find it much more obvious than comping. It's really quite straightforward.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1