Helpful ReplyBlack Lion mods

Author
Amicus717
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
2017/04/22 02:30:27 (permalink)

Black Lion mods

I'm curious how many folks have ever used gear modded by Black Lion Audio, and what the results were like. I see they have a mod for the Babyface that doesn't cost a whole lot and might make a nice improvement in the sound:

https://blacklionaudio.com/product/rme-babyface-mod/

I've also heard they are great to deal with, and definately know what they are doing...

Has anyone around here ever used their services?

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
fwrend
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 709
Re: Black Lion mods 2017/04/22 13:22:15 (permalink)
FWIW, over the last 15 years, I've had 3 units modded by BLA - MOTU 24i (original); MOTU 896HD; & Behringer ADA8000.  My experiences have all been positive, without issue and with noticeable quality improvement (to my ears).  While it's been several years since the last mod, I wouldn't have a problem recommending them if you have the cash to spend.  Can't answer whether or not the improvement will add or help your music.  With what many of us do here and the quality of current low/mid-end interfaces, the improvement may be negligible.

I've long since sold the 24i and 896HD (which I regret but needed the money) but still use the 8000 for headphone distribution and occasional need for additional pres. 

All the best!

Wren 

Studio Cat DAW i7-4790K 4.0GHz, 16 GB, Windows 10 (latest), 64-bit, 500GB SSD OS HDD, 1.5TB 7200 SATA Recording, 2x 1TB SSD Samples, MOTU 8M, Behringer X-Touch
Amicus717
Re: Black Lion mods 2017/04/22 19:27:40 (permalink)
Thanks, appreciate the input.

Rob

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Black Lion mods 2017/04/22 22:04:12 (permalink)
I'm skeptical. I've heard many anecdotal positives, but not a single objective measurement to back them up. Not that I doubt fwrend and others, but I have to wonder how much of it is placebo. The mods consist primarily of capacitor replacement, which could conceivably have some benefit, but only if the OEM caps were substandard to begin with. At best, the procedure might improve hum or crosstalk, but it's unlikely to affect conversion quality.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Black Lion mods 2017/04/22 22:25:25 (permalink)
I know nothing about Black Lion or their mods. 
But, as a former amp tech I never "heard" any difference between a stock (properly operating) Peavey Nashville 400 amp and one that had an "audiophile" component mod that was sold by a 3rd party person.  On some devices installing for example better tolerance components can even have a negative affect.  

The old Fender amps, that many "must have" had very cheap high tolerance caps and resistors.  Just installing new low tolerance components can cause a major (undesired) change in the amp's tone.

There is a lot of voodoo in audiophile "upgrades".  Many will argue the benefits, but I can't say I agree.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
Sycraft
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 871
Re: Black Lion mods 2017/04/23 00:33:19 (permalink)
bitflipper
I'm skeptical. I've heard many anecdotal positives, but not a single objective measurement to back them up. Not that I doubt fwrend and others, but I have to wonder how much of it is placebo. The mods consist primarily of capacitor replacement, which could conceivably have some benefit, but only if the OEM caps were substandard to begin with. At best, the procedure might improve hum or crosstalk, but it's unlikely to affect conversion quality.

Particularly since the design of a circuit is far more important than individual component selection in terms of audio quality. Not saying components don't matter but how something is implemented matters more than what is used. Also just because a component is "better" on a spec sheet doesn't mean it'll give superior results in a circuit of a given topology.

Given that modern stuff is very often beyond the human ability to hear, and that doing things like replacing filter caps is literally the least likely to help things, I am extremely skeptical. I'd need to see the difference on an AP before I'd be willing to lend it any credence. If you can't demonstrate to me what your changes have done, I have trouble believing they make any real positive difference.
Amicus717
Re: Black Lion mods 2017/04/24 02:44:37 (permalink)
bitflipper
I'm skeptical. I've heard many anecdotal positives, but not a single objective measurement to back them up.

Actually, that's a good point. I've only ever seen forum commentary in various places (the vast majority of those comments being raves from satisfied users), and never any actual test results or any sort of A/B tests posted, etc. I started looking into their stuff after coming across a couple of Kijiji postings from folks selling Black Lion modded gear - in particular a local guy selling a modded Digi 002 which he says sounds amazing courtesy of their premium upgrade.

I'm not actually interested in an old 002, but it sparked my interest in Black Lion's stuff. I'd guess some of the stuff they do -- like replacing op amps, masterclocks, etc -- might be a legitimate upgrade? My knowledge of electronics is pretty cursory. I'm totally comfortable building a PC from parts, etc, but I know very little about circuitry or the guts of the electronics.

Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Black Lion mods 2017/04/24 04:26:54 (permalink)
Amicus717
bitflipper
I'm skeptical. I've heard many anecdotal positives, but not a single objective measurement to back them up.

I'd guess some of the stuff they do -- like replacing op amps, masterclocks, etc -- might be a legitimate upgrade?

Why not buy top gear with excellent clocks and converters in the first place?

I'm having a hard time to believe that it's that simple to upgrade something that's been designed to pro quality standards (not talking consumer gear here). Markets are tight and competitive; companies like RME, MOTU, Lynx (and from there on up the price range) would be long out of business if a small shop could simply replace some parts and signficantly improve audio quality...

I'd prefer to see measurements and blind tests rather than customer feedback.

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Eddie TX
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1104
Re: Black Lion mods 2017/04/24 17:05:08 (permalink)
I have no experience with BLA directly, but a number of people whose ears I trust have reported improved sound as a result of their upgrades. The parts they use aren't cheap, and for an OEM to use them in the first place would raise the build cost of their products -- not everyone will bother shooting out various interfaces to see which one sounds the best, so it's features, specs, and PRICE that sell most units in this space. 

BLA have been in business for a long time. Given that their customers are primarily audio engineers whose job is to evaluate sound quality, I'd say that's a pretty good indication of the value of their services.

Cheers,
Eddie

Sonar X3 Producer / Win 10 
The future exists in all directions.
Sycraft
Re: Black Lion mods 2017/04/26 04:06:27 (permalink)
Eddie TX
BLA have been in business for a long time. Given that their customers are primarily audio engineers whose job is to evaluate sound quality, I'd say that's a pretty good indication of the value of their services.

Have to be careful with that assessment. I've known more than a few audio engineers that drink audiophile koolaid. One guy swears his high dollar power cord makes his amp sound better. He thinks some how that not only does his extremely high quality amp not filter the power well, but that the problem is the last 3 feet of cable in the studio, not the thousands of feet in the wall or the thousands of miles of aluminium/steel going to the generator. Just because someone is an audio engineer doesn't mean they don't listen with their wallet at times, or exhibit wishful thinking.

If you want some good talk on this sort of thing Dr. Floyd Toole has a excellent talk about the necessity of blind testing in subjective listening and verifying the results with objective measurements.

So at the very least I'd need to see a blind test where someone demonstrates they can pick out their modded kit reliably before I'm interested. Then to really be convinced I need to see measurements to make sure that it actually made the sound better, not just different.

Have to be careful on that last one, as you can find expensive products that change the sound... for the worse. Like you can get flat speaker cables. They have individual thin wires laid parallel to each other in a dielectric. You can hear them all right... because they have a ton of capacitance and jack the signal right up. You get some serious HF rolloff. Problem is people will hear the difference, see the price tag, and decide they sound more "laid back" and less "fatiguing" which is probably true, but can be replicated with something costing 0.1% of the price if that's what you want.
Eddie TX
Re: Black Lion mods 2017/04/26 16:48:47 (permalink)
Sycraft
So at the very least I'd need to see a blind test where someone demonstrates they can pick out their modded kit reliably before I'm interested. Then to really be convinced I need to see measurements to make sure that it actually made the sound better, not just different.

Wow. I'd be interested to know what that measurement is that proves that something sounds "better" to the human ear. I'll have to use it on all my mixes. 

Cheers,
Eddie

fwrend
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 709
Re: Black Lion mods 2017/04/26 20:04:57 (permalink)
I agree with most things said here but wanted to bring some logic to it as well.  For me, I noticed immediately when the 24i returned - same space, amp, & speakers.  I can't quantify better but did notice the difference and liked what I heard. 

I liked the sound of the MOTU before, just wanted an upgrade and thought modding what I already had was the more frugal way to go.  It made more sense to spend a couple hundred on a mod than spend 2-3 times as much and reduce I/O count to boot replacing it.

I also noticed an unquantifiable difference/improvement when I moved to a Lynx L22 card. 

Last year when I did a DAW upgrade with Roseberry, I moved on to a MOTU M8 USB interface because of the lack of dedicated PCI slots on current MBs.  This time there was really not as much quality differentiation and though I might be tempted, wouldn't consider modding it even if BLA offered one for it.  It is completely capable and probably overkill.

I don't make money with my DAW nor depend on it for my livelihood but like everyone else do desire the best bang for the buck.  ATM, I'm totally content with my M8, Akai EIE Pro, and Focusrite SOLO each of which is used for different things and as I stated earlier for what I do, the quality difference even among these three while noticeable is probably negligible.

Wren 

Studio Cat DAW i7-4790K 4.0GHz, 16 GB, Windows 10 (latest), 64-bit, 500GB SSD OS HDD, 1.5TB 7200 SATA Recording, 2x 1TB SSD Samples, MOTU 8M, Behringer X-Touch
Sycraft
Re: Black Lion mods 2017/04/26 23:23:48 (permalink)
Eddie TX
Wow. I'd be interested to know what that measurement is that proves that something sounds "better" to the human ear. I'll have to use it on all my mixes. 

Cheers,
Eddie

You can quantify that, in his talk he talks about how they did just that with speakers. You do proper blind subjective tests to find out what people like. Then you measure the objective differences. With speakers that is as flat as possible an on-axis frequency response and well controlled directivity.

For something like electronics, particularly when used in a studio when what is correct matters, not what is the most pleasing, it would be flat FR, low noise, low distortion of all kinds, and so on.

So ya, this really is something you can measure. You take a modded and unmodded piece of gear and do a proper blind test, see if anyone can reliably tell a difference. If not, well then you are done, mods aren't useful audibly. You can measure it if you like to see if there are any measurable differences (we can measure way more precise than we can hear). If you can hear audible differences then you go and see what those differences are. If it is something like lower noise and flatter FR, then cool, you've found a useful mod. However if they are things like higher harmonic distortion and a HF rolloff, then the mod is a waste of money as it is changing the sound.
Eddie TX
Re: Black Lion mods 2017/04/27 04:21:57 (permalink)
Anybody who claims that the best measurements always correlate with the best sound is selling snake oil. If I ever hear "look at our product's measurements -- obviously it sounds the best!" I run away.

I learned this a while back when digital audio first arrived on the scene. "Digital is so wonderful -- such low noise and distortion, no wow & flutter, tremendous dynamic range! Perfect sound forever!" Yes, but there was one small problem. It didn't sound good.

Obviously, digital audio technology has come a long way since then, to the point where it can sound very good indeed. But still, many of us prefer the sound of tape, vinyl, transformers, and even (shudder) tubes -- despite their poor measurements. Hey, did you know you can get DAW plugins that simulate the sound of these things, to make you think your digitally-based music was recorded with a bunch of crappy analog gear? 

I'm not claiming that analog recording is more accurate than digital. But it does tend to help many types of music sound "better" to many people. Even if the measurements would indicate otherwise.

Sorry for the off-topic content. Back to the OP and Black Lion: they are well worth checking out. You'll notice that the naysayers have no experience with their products or services, so I wouldn't bother giving their opinions much credence. 

Cheers,
Eddie

Sycraft
Re: Black Lion mods 2017/04/27 04:52:03 (permalink)
Again, missing the point. There are two problems with what you are espousing:

1) In recording/music production accuracy of reproduction is paramount. After all, how will you know if the plugins you are using are giving you the intended sound, if you aren't getting accurate sound? If you monitor your mixing and mastering on a signal path that introduces lots of colouration you aren't going to get a good mix. You might think a vocal sounds nice and "fat" and "warm" when in reality your system is doing that, but the track you are laying down is not. You need your gear to be accurate so that the decisions you make are reflected in the recording. Again, this in in the talk I linked.

2) We CAN measure what sounds good. Really, we can. You can do double blind, subjective tests. You ask people to decide what they like, to rank it, and to talk about why. You then compile and analyze those results and you can get statistically valid data as to what people like. If you find a high r and p value, you know you have something that holds true across many listeners and we are able to find this for many things. You can then do measurement analysis and figure out what it is they are hearing that they like (or don't).

Really, math and science work, they really do. It isn't magic, it isn't some black art that can't be understood, it is math and science. A DAW and plugins, which is all just math, wouldn't work otherwise. And part of that science that we are better and better at is studying preference and why humans have it. Turns out often not to be arbitrary.

As for us naysayers... well maybe we don't have experience with their products because we have experience with electronics theory that tells us why they are not likely to be worth the money. I can think of a lot of things to spend $750 on that I know will improve my life rather than a Fireface UFX mod that I can see no evidence helps. Remember: The burden of proof is always on the claimant. They have to prove their mods do something, I don't have to prove they don't. They also make some pretty extraordinary claims like "The difference after the mod is analogous to the effect of comparing regular flat and pixilated video to the vivid sharpness and dimension of High Definition." The difference between SD and HD is exceedingly easy to see, and to test. Something like that should be 20/20 in a blind test choice and the measurements should be clear as day on an AP.

However I'd be happy to test it, if you want. I happen to work for a University that has all the equipment we'd need for some good measurements and tests. If you want to purchase a modded unit for me, or lend me one for an extended time, I'll spend the time arranging a test.
Eddie TX
Re: Black Lion mods 2017/04/27 07:29:59 (permalink)
Gee, thanks for all that. I had no idea how math and science worked.

I'm not sure why you're talking about monitors. Obviously, your monitoring chain and environment must accurately reflect what's been recorded. I'm saying that digital recording, while theoretically and measurably more accurate, doesn't necessarily sound as good as analog in many situations.

Blind tests and interviews and statistical analyses of people's tastes are all well and good, but when it comes to what I personally do when making music, I'd rather just trust my ears to let me know what sounds good and what doesn't. I don't have time to arrange a blind test for every new piece of hardware or software I audition or to assemble a focus group to tell me whether my latest fader move improved things. Seriously, if I started second-guessing everything I hear, I'd never be able to mix a track.

If it sounds good to me, it is good -- that's how I like to do it. All the theories, measurements, claims, test results, and forum postings in the world won't convince me something sounds good if I don't like what I hear -- and vice versa.

Finally, I doubt you're going to have much luck forcing gearmongers to start providing irrefutable proof that their products are worth the asking price, or to stop using hyperbole in their ad copy. If that happened, how could we make fun of them? It would be so boring. 

Cheers,
Eddie

brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: Black Lion mods 2017/05/24 18:33:11 (permalink)
Eddie TX
Sycraft

Cheers,
Eddie

Many of the mods BLA has done is slated to improve the accuracy of the hardware, not so much the subjective, audible improvements--although there's claims to support audible improvements as well. Bitflipper does have a point in that what BLA does should be backed up by credible, measurable tests. Whether your ears can hear the difference is irrelevant, other than the idea is to get the (potential or audible) faults out of your signal chain.

I use a BLA clock on my MOTU, and I've made some OP-AMP mods that many claim to improve my signal chain. Can I hear a difference? I think the biggest difference is in the clarity of transients at 96Khz because of the external BLA clock. Aside from that, typically OP-AMP mods aren't always measured improvements, since an improvement can be subjective. In may cases they simply change the character to some very critical ears out there. And I'll admit, even as a Mastering engineer, I can barely tell a difference in many of them.

Are BLA mods placebo? Maybe some good A/B tests would help, but if were after accuracy vs. clarity, smoothness, warmth, etc. then measuring the difference between modded and un-modded with the appropriate measurement tools is a good start. Blind A/B tests might be faulty if other parts of the audio interface is different. In cases like that, perhaps the audio other interface might be the improvement, not the mod.

So, let's go back to the OP and BLA. Should the OP invest $ into a BLA mod? Depends. Are there issues cropping up that cause unwarranted artifacts in the audio, or smeared transients? Is this an attempt to do a mod based on others' feedback? Does the OP want to improve accuracy of the hardware, or simply make it sound better? For the latter, I'd go down the path of more training and practice in recording/mixing/monitoring before I would go to BLA. Invest in better mics, room, Pre's, plug-ins, monitoring, cabling, etc. first.

If the OP has the best gear he needs and significant training and experience, a mod is not likely the direction I would go unless under a significant budget. The experienced ears, one who has exhausted all other areas of studio building, will demand simply a better audio interface and maybe it's time to upgrade.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
Amicus717
Re: Black Lion mods 2017/05/25 03:32:53 (permalink)
After reading all the back and forth on this, I decided I'm not really interested.

Anyway, my original question was asked more out of pure curiosity than any real desire to send my Babyface in for their upgrade service. I've seen many references to Black Lion over the years I've been doing home recording, and I was curious to know what others' experience was like.

As mentioned above, there are a lot of other avenues I could pursue to improve what I'm hearing in my home studio (in particular, my studio area is badly in need of acoustic treatment, which I think would be a far better investment of time and money).

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Black Lion mods 2017/05/25 15:35:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SF_Green 2017/05/27 04:04:58
In this bizarro world of "alternative facts", it's encouraging to see a win for Reason.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: Black Lion mods 2017/05/25 17:58:15 (permalink)
Amicus717
After reading all the back and forth on this, I decided I'm not really interested.

Anyway, my original question was asked more out of pure curiosity than any real desire to send my Babyface in for their upgrade service. I've seen many references to Black Lion over the years I've been doing home recording, and I was curious to know what others' experience was like.

As mentioned above, there are a lot of other avenues I could pursue to improve what I'm hearing in my home studio (in particular, my studio area is badly in need of acoustic treatment, which I think would be a far better investment of time and money).

I think nearly everyone goes through this phase of searching, and it's healthy. However, the thing I realize from most of the professionals I've spoken to is, the one thing everyone should work hardest to improve is ear-training and just listening. So much of what we do is highly dependent on what we do vs. what we use.

Acoustic treatment will provide some seriously satisfying results. Placement of your speakers will, too. I just recently published the acoustic measurements of my room, which has great acoustic treatment. here

In the graph near the bottom of the page, you can see how my room responds from my listening position, and it's amazing how great the room sounds, all the way down to sub 30Hz. That treatment made a huge difference in what I was hearing. My output was (at the time) a Soundblaster Audigy 2 card from 2003, although these measurements were made through a MOTU 24CoreIO D/A.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
glennstanton
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 87
Re: Black Lion mods 2017/05/26 16:06:28 (permalink)
here's an interesting take on changing opamps - i have to agree, once you get to a certain slew rate, the ability to hear the difference is next to impossible. that said, other components in the circuit can affect the audible response and influence our perception. http://nwavguy.blogspot.c...-amps-myths-facts.html

also - subjective vs objective. http://nwavguy.blogspot.c...-objective-debate.html

-- Glenn

Eddie TX
Re: Black Lion mods 2017/05/27 16:11:54 (permalink)
Amicus717

There's no doubt that acoustic treatment should take priority over hardware mods. However, your original question asked for experiences with BLA. You got a couple of positive reviews from their customers, and some skeptical replies from non-customers. Not exactly a scientific survey, but that's the nature of this forum. Take it for what it's worth.

Once you've gone as far as you can go with room treatment, speaker placement, etc., then it would be time to optimize your hardware, including whatever interfaces that fit within your budget. BLA-modded units would certainly be worth looking at then. Have fun!

Cheers,
Eddie

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1