I can't get Microsoft Media to play when I have a song open in Sonar Professional.

Author
MarkusClinus
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 710
2017/05/05 01:02:14 (permalink)

I can't get Microsoft Media to play when I have a song open in Sonar Professional.

I looked at my audio preferences - I'm sharing my Scarlett asio drivers with other programs. I'm not sure what else to look at. If I close out Sonar - I can play Microsoft media - when open and I have a song loaded - Microsoft media says that another app is controlling my sound.

Any ideas what this issue might be?

Mark
(formerly CLEAN)
THE PUGTONES

3 Replies Related Threads

robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: I can't get Microsoft Media to play when I have a song open in Sonar Professional. 2017/05/26 02:47:16 (permalink)
    I never ever have the Windows Default Audio Device set to use my ASIO drivers, for precisely that reason.  As far as I have ever understood it, the ASIO spec doesn't allow more than a single application to access ASIO at the same time.  (some audio interfaces  have ASIO drivers that allow for a 2nd audio interface, if it is identical to the other one already present - or something like that, but that doesn't apply to your situation).

Anyways - I always set my Windows Default Audio Device to be my HDMI output, which then routes to the speakers in the HDTV I use as a display monitor for my computer (I actually use 2, and at one time used 3).  That way, only Sonar is ever attempting to use the ASIO drivers for the audio interface, and I consequently never have conflict.

Before my son started inheriting my high-end gear while I am still alive - I USED to have an 8-port audio interface, and I would sometimes route the computer audio output through a splitter to then route computer audio into 2 input ports on my audio interface, but I only rarely did that, and now that I am using a much more basic interface, I never bother with that, as I don't have 8 ports anymore.  But when I DID route the computer audio that way, it at least ran through the same speakers as the rest of my Sonar output.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: I can't get Microsoft Media to play when I have a song open in Sonar Professional. 2017/05/26 03:39:35 (permalink)
    Chances are Windows Media Player is not using ASIO but it does need access to the interface. The shared setting in SONAR is not needed to allow other Windows applications use the same interface, most do not use ASIO. I run everything through the interface used with SONAR. The one thing the interface cannot do is play applications at different sample rates at the same time. Make sure SONAR and Windows sound settings use the same sample rate. The sample rate is on the Advanced tab in Properties of the Sound Playback and Recording tabs in the Windows Control Panel.
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re: I can't get Microsoft Media to play when I have a song open in Sonar Professional. 2017/05/28 20:34:21 (permalink)
    The best way to do this is to use WASAPI shared mode in SONAR. This shares the audio device with Windows.
    Alternatively if you are using ASIO make sure that Windows is not outputting to your ASIO device in the speaker properties.

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1