Author
Fleer
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8715
2017/05/29 13:11:14 (permalink)

Using VST in Reason as of today

Yeah!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zy3RipH5u0

Propellerhead Software today released Reason 9.5, the newest update to the award-winning Reason music production software. Reason 9.5 introduces VST support, and is a free update for Reason 9 owners.

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
bigcatt
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 542
Re: Using VST in Reason as of today 2017/05/29 13:40:34 (permalink)
Interesting I wonder if the Maize Mac VSTs will work with it?
Fleer
Re: Using VST in Reason as of today 2017/05/29 15:25:28 (permalink)
Don't have 'em, grand jaguar, so can't test 'em.

Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
Re: Using VST in Reason as of today 2017/05/29 17:32:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/05/29 21:43:41
This is what Cakewalks videos should be like

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Using VST in Reason as of today 2017/05/29 22:10:42 (permalink)
Yes Kamikaze , I agree with you .

When it comes to Cakewalks u tube presence , Cakewalk needs to take a cue from what some of the other music software company's are doing out there on u tube
On the other side of the coin , I think that us folks here on the  SONAR Forum have the Best Music Forum in The World 

Kenny
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2017/05/29 22:41:34

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Fleer
Re: Using VST in Reason as of today 2017/05/29 23:24:33 (permalink)
Strangely enough, because of the new vst hype, I'm drawn back to Reason and might abandon Logic Pro altogether, at least for a while. Reason and Bitwig may serve me better now, from a creative point of view.

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Using VST in Reason as of today 2017/05/30 02:02:03 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz

When it comes to Cakewalks u tube presence , Cakewalk needs to take a cue from what some of the other music software company's are doing out there on u tube
On the other side of the coin , I think that us folks here on the  SONAR Forum have the Best Music Forum in The World 

Kenny

Like what?

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Using VST in Reason as of today 2017/05/30 04:19:33 (permalink)
Fleer
Strangely enough, because of the new vst hype, I'm drawn back to Reason and might abandon Logic Pro altogether, at least for a while. Reason and Bitwig may serve me better now, from a creative point of view.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...
I'm waiting to see how this plays out for a bit before I even consider updating.
kennywtelejazz
Re: Using VST in Reason as of today 2017/05/30 06:58:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Kamikaze 2017/05/30 07:05:56
kitekrazy1
kennywtelejazz

Kenny

Like what?

Hows this for starters
http://reaper.fm/videos.php
https://www.image-line.com/support/FLHelp/html/basics_videos.htm 

Kenny
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2017/05/30 07:23:48

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: Using VST in Reason as of today 2017/05/30 12:44:39 (permalink)
Yay, we could go on over to the Reason forum and express our gratitude, oh wait, there really isn't a forum over there.

Kudos Reason on doing something you should have done 5 years ago. Vst 2.4 ?  I sometimes wonder if the cars in Scandinavia have power windows and heat.

Reason may only be half as capable as Sonar Platinum but apparently those cool videos  make up for it.

Sorry guys I can't get very excited about old tech being adopted recently. That and I'm a die hard satisfied Sonar user.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

kitekrazy1
Re: Using VST in Reason as of today 2017/05/30 16:52:27 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
kitekrazy1
kennywtelejazz

Kenny

Like what?

Hows this for starters

Kenny

Love the Image Line videos. They are also entertaining.
I was satisfied with the Cake E-Zine. They dropped that. 

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
kitekrazy1
Re: Using VST in Reason as of today 2017/05/30 16:58:04 (permalink)
Starise
Yay, we could go on over to the Reason forum and express our gratitude, oh wait, there really isn't a forum over there.

Kudos Reason on doing something you should have done 5 years ago. Vst 2.4 ?  I sometimes wonder if the cars in Scandinavia have power windows and heat.

Reason may only be half as capable as Sonar Platinum but apparently those cool videos  make up for it.

Sorry guys I can't get very excited about old tech being adopted recently. That and I'm a die hard satisfied Sonar user.

It's like apples and oranges. Sometimes a DAW user's world can be quite small. Some think this will move Reason up the ranks.  In some ways it's clumsy compared to Sonar.  Reason took a step back by removing auditioning a synth patch in the browser.  You can drag n drop a midi without Reason opening up their ID8.  In Sonar you can audition a synth and midi. 

Starise
Re: Using VST in Reason as of today 2017/05/30 17:19:20 (permalink)
I see what you mean there. I think we live in a politically correct time when even saying what you think about software carries a penalty. 
If a person likes to see cartoons of hardware with virtual wires hanging off of it, more power to em. There was a time when I was unhappy because Fxpansion took away the cool graphic in BFD2 for a more one dimensional look. I think I've started to come along now. We no longer live or work in the hardware age for the most part. We don't need everything to mimic something old.
Call it kong, dong or whatever....it's a drum machine. We can get them as free vsts. I never was overly impressed, but that's me. 

Just don't come in here swinging your kong around and not expect another opinion :)

3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 

Twitter @Rodein

kitekrazy1
Re: Using VST in Reason as of today 2017/05/30 17:30:06 (permalink)
Kong is Reason's version of Battery.   I's like to see Props turn some of their stuff into VSTs.  I love Redrum and Octorex is a Rex player.  Too bad Cakewalk ditched Beatscape.   When they put Thor for iPad on sale, it was popular among non Reason users.

Starise
Re: Using VST in Reason as of today 2017/05/30 17:55:49 (permalink)
Thanks kitecrazy1. I'm sorry I sometimes say  things  for dramatic effect 

I'm sure it does things people like. I wasn't directing my statements at you.  I liked Beatscape too. I already have decent substitutes for it though. Reason  never worked into my world as a tool I needed or wanted to learn. I have Battery and hardly ever use it. Sonar can deal with Rex. Some of those Reason apps might be cool as a vst. There really isn't anything I can't do in Sonar though. 

I  worked with one gifted composer who only uses Reason. I suspect they could have made good music on anything, but who knows? Maybe that workflow helped that particular individual work better. I tend to think it has more to do with learning a workflow and using it to maximum benefit.

Seasoned users of one or two competing daws are probably not the best group to hope for overwhelming accolades from, me admittedly being one of those. I think I'm objective to a point. I don't see the point in learning to use another tool that does a similar thing only doesn't do everything the tool I now use can do. At this stage I'm well past learning a new program for the novelty of it all.

Twitter @Rodein

TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
Re: Using VST in Reason as of today 2017/05/30 20:07:11 (permalink)
Reason was always more of a standalone VST for me than a DAW. I loved where they were going with their internal synths early on... but then they stopped focus on the actual racks and focused more on making it a DAW while the actual racks stagnated in dated sounds when they could have done so much more with them. Then they introduced REs which to me was like "Hey, we don't care about making or updating our own racks and sounds anymore, so we're going to let third parties do it, make them completely proprietary to Reason and charge a ton of money for them." That's where I left Reason in the dirt as I was more interested in the modular aspect and building amazing synthesis with their product than the full DAW experience since I already rewired into Sonar (don't even get me started on the cluster that is ReWire).

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Using VST in Reason as of today 2017/05/30 20:34:26 (permalink)
kitekrazy1

The e-Zine returns with 2017-05 ...

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
kennywtelejazz
Re: Using VST in Reason as of today 2017/05/31 05:29:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fleer 2017/05/31 12:28:38
Fleer,
I really did enjoy the video you posted and I have been considering picking up Reason Essentials for a while ..
Even started a thread asking about it a number of months ago ...
Sorry about the little OT thing I got going on in your thread ..

kitekrazy1
kennywtelejazz
kitekrazy1
kennywtelejazz

Kenny

Like what?

Hows this for starters

Kenny

The E Zine is definitely on it's way back . Craig mentioned it to everyone in a post he left in one of my threads ..
http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3610002

As far as some of the other Music Software Companies that have decent in house videos ...
The list is pretty large when you also include 3 rd party plug and synth manufacturers ...

I happen to think the video that Fleer posted is a perfect example of a Software Manufacturer show casing their product in the best possible way . The video was in house from the company , it showed what is new in the product and how to use some of the products new features .
The on screen video matched the music that was playing ..it was short , sweet and to the point ...
I learned something from the video I did not know before having seen it .
In the short time I spent watching the Reason video it swayed me into thinking about buying a lighter version of their product ...since 4 bills is out of my comfort zone ...69 bucks I'm OK with ...

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Using VST in Reason as of today 2017/05/31 12:24:49 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz

As far as some of the other Music Software Companies that have decent in house videos ...
The list is pretty large when you also include 3 rd party plug and synth manufacturers ...

I happen to think the video that Fleer posted is a perfect example of a Software Manufacturer show casing their product in the best possible way . The video was in house from the company , it showed what is new in the product and how to use some of the products new features .
The on screen video matched the music that was playing ..it was short , sweet and to the point ...
I learned something from the video I did not know before having seen it .

That's a good point Kenny.  Another perspective is that when you buy a program like Reason, you are buying into that workflow.  It works well for many folks who have learned to create with it, maybe because it is more focused on certain things, so that you can be productive.  The videos put the spotlight on techniques.

By comparison, look at how many different workflows Sonar has now.  What approach should you take to get started?  It is so comprehensive and open ended that choices are nearly unlimited.  A few up to date videos focusing on start to finish techniques would be nice to have, something more than a list of features and how they work.

I found this on Groove3, it uses Reaper for the demonstration, but much of the technique could apply to any DAW. This would be a good example of something to see for Sonar! 

https://www.groove3.com/reaper-training-video-tutorials/First-Song-with-REAPER

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1