Question about BFD3...

Author
yorolpal
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13829
2017/06/01 16:10:14 (permalink)

Question about BFD3...

I've got BFD ECO, BFD2 and BFD3.  Plus I've got a ton of expansion packs bought over time strung out in the three product folders. I've set the data paths in BFD3 and have no trouble using them.  However...in an effort to gain back some hard drive space and generally clean up my folders I'd like to consolidate all the expansion packs and data folders into the BFD3 folder and then uninstall/delete both BFD2 and ECO.  Is this doable?  Have any of you done such?  I've contacted FXPansion...but I thought I'd hit up the brain trust here as well.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.

15 Replies Related Threads

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Question about BFD3... 2017/06/01 18:11:00 (permalink)
    To be honest, you may have issues with their licenser with content tied to BFD2 when BFD2 is uninstalled. It may be cleaner to uninstall it all then install *only* BFD3 and the expansions as BFD3 expansions. You can still have BFD3 load BFD2 content by scanning the folder where the presets and kits are placed (though I moved those into each expansion's folder after the installer finished and scanned them there).

On the other hand, before you go installing everything over again, it can't hurt to try...

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    twaddle
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1967
    Re: Question about BFD3... 2017/07/03 22:25:48 (permalink)
    Just saw this but once you once you've got rid of eco and BFD2 I would suggest getting rid of the Eco data/audio (since it's just a reduced velocity level version of the BFD2 library) and then using the BFDLAC tool inside BFD3 to convert your BFD2 library to the new BFDLAC format which will reduce it from 55GB to 22.9GB so you'll free up some space if you need it.

Steve
    post edited by twaddle - 2017/07/05 21:58:48

soundcloud  SoundClick  Myspace
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 
    Intel i7 930, 3.40Ghz, 
    12GB Corsair DDR3 
    1TB WD  SATA 6Gb X 2 
    Emu- 0404 PCIe 
    Sonar X1d Expanded
    BFD3 + BFD2 + BFD Eco
    Dual boot windows 7, 32 & 64bit
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re: Question about BFD3... 2017/07/06 15:44:35 (permalink)
    twaddle
    Just saw this but once you once you've got rid of eco and BFD2 I would suggest getting rid of the Eco data/audio (since it's just a reduced velocity level version of the BFD2 library) and then using the BFDLAC tool inside BFD3 to convert your BFD2 library to the new BFDLAC format which will reduce it from 55GB to 22.9GB so you'll free up some space if you need it.

Steve

I am thinking of using the BFRDLAC tool, I want to retain use of ECO but will have no further use for BFD2 so I assume I can safley run it as it says ECO 1.6 or later is compatable with the converted data. I am also minded to use the 20 bit option, I beleive a lot of my downloads have been 20 bit anyway and sound fine to me.
    I assume this process will render the content unusable in BFD2, will the BFD2 factory content still be licenced if BFD2 is uninstalled? 

Edit - further question. If I run BFDLAC set to 20 bit what happens to any 16 bit ECO samples?
    post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2017/07/06 16:18:36

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Glyn Barnes
    Re: Question about BFD3... 2017/07/06 19:53:12 (permalink)
    Well, I jumped in and compressed to 20 bit after copying all the data to an external drive as a backup.

On the face of it 140GB of disk space saved but there are a few issues.
    • Way back I had installed some BFD 2 expansions in the ECO directory, when I converted the ECO data I specified 16 bit so I have overcompressed some of the data. It seems to work but I will reinstall the packs in the correct directory and compress to 20 bit, so i expect the final saving to be a very worthwhile 100GB
    • There seem to be a few expansions exhibiting some distortion in stand alone BFD3, but in Sonar they seem OK. The Drumdrops folk rock packs are one, particularly the snares, another is the BFD orchestral pack, the timpanis are fine but the chimes are distorted, neither of these kits were converted to 16 bit. This need further investigation and it may caused by something other than the compression.
    ECO appears to be working fine.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    twaddle
    Re: Question about BFD3... 2017/07/06 22:36:25 (permalink)
    That's odd about the distortion but I do remember someone reporting a similar issue of the fx forum but not sure if it was related to converting to BFDLAC.

I just remembered today that the latest version of Eco can read the BFDLAC format so it's just BFD2 that can't.
    It's good that you didn't delete the original library straight away. I still have the .WAV BFD2 library as I'm okay for space and wanted to keep it for helping people with BFD2 issues.

Steve

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 
    Intel i7 930, 3.40Ghz, 
    12GB Corsair DDR3 
    1TB WD  SATA 6Gb X 2 
    Emu- 0404 PCIe 
    Sonar X1d Expanded
    BFD3 + BFD2 + BFD Eco
    Glyn Barnes
    Re: Question about BFD3... 2017/07/09 13:19:31 (permalink)
    In the end I had a major tidy-up, mostly successful but there are some remaining issues. I decide to uninstall ECO and BFD2, any legacy projects using ECO would only be snippets and ideas anyway. I deleted and reinstalled all the expansions that were in the ECO folder, selecting the BFD3 only options.

I deleted the orchestral and Drum Drops Folk Rock folders and copied back the original uncompressed versions – no distortion is apparent, so the distortion I experienced previously may well have been something to do with BFDLAC conversion. I may run it again at some stage, maybe staying with 24 bit and see what happens.

After moving stuff there seemed to be a few oddities so I did a complete re-scan, which seem to go into a loop on the Groove Monkee groove folders that had previously been in the ECO folder so I dragged them off to a archive, the ones in the BFD2 folder were fine. This needs further investigation to make sure I have everything.

The Nick Mason and Hugh Padgham Kits from Sonic Reality are not showing up in BFD3 after the scan. I seem to recall I had issues when I first installed them but never knew what resolved it. I am downloading fresh versions of the installers and will see if that helps.

And finally (for now) a number of kit pieces seem to have lost their icons and appear in the browser as a “document icon” and in the mixer as a microphone.

Glyn Barnes
    Re: Question about BFD3... 2017/07/09 20:01:17 (permalink)
    A very quick update as it may save someone some trouble. I think the distortion may be related to BFDLAC. I just compressed the newly installed Zildjan Digital Vault and its badly distorted. It was fine before. I will report back later, I reinstalled again and compressed to BFDLAC 24bit. Find before compression, but after compression is was distorted, not as bad as 20 bit but still unusable.

Glyn Barnes
    Re: Question about BFD3... 2017/07/10 12:13:55 (permalink)
    A bit of a Doh! moment this morning. I had noticed that a number of presets and kits were "missing" in BFD3's browser. After a bit of head scratching and messing about I found I had simply neglected to click the Set up BFD2 folder after I moved the content.

The last remaining issues seem to be why icons for some kit peices are missing, it looks like they are in the BFD2 factory content? There may also be a few distorted kit peices, I just noticed a bad cymbal in one of the BFD2 presets. I am now considering re-installing the BFD2 content.

Glyn Barnes
    Re: Question about BFD3... 2017/07/10 17:00:22 (permalink)
    Right! - Re-installed the BFD2 content. There were still some missing icons but on further inspection they were duplicates of other drums. The show in explorer option did not point to any folder so I "hid" them from the browser. All seems good now. I am going through checking presets load correctly with no "microphone" icons but its taking a while because BFD has to "upgrade" some of the reinstalled BFD2 kit peices.

In the end I am only 20GB better off because I don't fully trust the BFDLAC conversions not to distort.

Next - sort out the Groove Monkee stuff. It was a bit of a mess and there are recent updates so I will download the latest versions and reinstall them.

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Question about BFD3... 2017/07/10 17:31:19 (permalink)
    Glyn Barnes
    Right! - Re-installed the BFD2 content. There were still some missing icons but on further inspection they were duplicates of other drums. The show in explorer option did not point to any folder so I "hid" them from the browser. All seems good now. I am going through checking presets load correctly with no "microphone" icons but its taking a while because BFD has to "upgrade" some of the reinstalled BFD2 kit peices.

In the end I am only 20GB better off because I don't fully trust the BFDLAC conversions not to distort.

Next - sort out the Groove Monkee stuff. It was a bit of a mess and there are recent updates so I will download the latest versions and reinstall them.

Sometimes, it's better just to leave stuff alone, lol...

Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    Glyn Barnes
    Re: Question about BFD3... 2017/07/10 18:10:16 (permalink)
    dcumpian

Dan

I was coming to that conclusion. Saving 100GB + of disk space was an attractive proposition but.........
    On the bright side I have learned a bit more about how BFD3 works and things are a fair bit tidier. I wonder how Ol' Pal got on, he seems to have gone quiet, maybe he is having worse issues sorting his out

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Question about BFD3... 2017/07/10 19:46:31 (permalink)
    dcumpian

Dan

My philosophy. IOUN. 

Install once, use never.
    Glyn Barnes
    Re: Question about BFD3... 2017/07/11 12:49:47 (permalink)
    One final observation. I remembered I had not reinstalled the Orchestral expansion, I simply dragged the original folder back from the backup drive. There were no technical issues but I decided to reinstall using the BFD3 only option. The size of the installation for this pack went from 25.8 GB down to 8.68 GB. Its a shame this option is not available with the Zildjian Digital Vault pack because that is huge (and sounds fantastic).

I do not seem to have any distortion issues with the BFDLAC format from the installers, only when I use the tool in BFD3. If one is looking to recover disk space deleting and reinstalling expansions as BFD3 only may be safer than compressing with the BFDLAC tool.

Now everything is working properly as far as I can tell, I won't be messing with it again for a while.

Glyn Barnes
    Re: Question about BFD3... 2017/07/11 18:39:58 (permalink)
    Spoke too soon! FXPansion had one final suprise for me. I decided to add the percussion expansion as I have been eying it for a while and its on sale.

Odd things happend when i tried to scan and authorise it, It seemed when I uninstalled BFD2 or ECO the licence manager as also uninstalled. No big problem once I realised what was happening, I just had to download and install the licence manager again.

That percussion pack is very nice indeed!

twaddle
    Re: Question about BFD3... 2017/09/02 10:56:15 (permalink)
    Glyn Barnes I just had to download and install the licence manager again.

I think the licence manager and the way it works is great and was so glad when they updated it so it can authorize
    all your products in one go now, assuming your DAW is on line of course.

Steve

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, 
    Intel i7 930, 3.40Ghz, 
    12GB Corsair DDR3 
    1TB WD  SATA 6Gb X 2 
    Emu- 0404 PCIe 
    Sonar X1d Expanded
    BFD3 + BFD2 + BFD Eco
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1