Projects layout has been altered (Workspace/Lens issue?)

Author
DaveG74
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 220
2017/06/02 02:44:42 (permalink)

Projects layout has been altered (Workspace/Lens issue?)

Recently, the layout of all my existing projects has been altered. What I mean is, the template I base all my new projects upon was disrupted by a new layout at some point. The elements of the windows on the screen has been rearranged in a very dissatisfying way that I do not approve of. This may have happened during the transition from Sonar X3 to Sonar Artist, or it could've happened during one of Artist's updates...

I'm aware of the Workspace function (renamed Lens?), but I have never had a need for it, for this feels high maintenance. I base all my new Projects off a template file, and that's all I need.

This is my desired template file for all of my new Projects. I want my Project layout to stay like this:

However, at some point, when I open one of my existing Projects, it looks like this:

I asked myself in surprise and frustration, "What happened to my layout?"

As I stated, I don't want to have to apply a Lens to every new Project, as that's what my template is for and shall remain that way. So now, I have about thirty+ Projects I have to change back to the desired template. Is there an easy way to do this without involving Lenses?

Thanks in advance.

6 Replies Related Threads

noynekker
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1235
    Re: Projects layout has been altered (Workspace/Lens issue?) 2017/06/02 04:28:35 (permalink)
    Mr. Grundberg . . . while I can't specifically answer your question, I can add that the introduction of the Lenses feature has also messed with my start up project templates / existing projects as well. I used to be able to toggle between Track View and Console View using the Windows keyboard command Ctrl+Tab . . . but now that setting doesn't seem to save into my projects anymore. Every time I re-open a project I have to do extensive monkeying to get back to the Ctrl+Tab functionality.

I've almost got it figured out, but not completely . . . I'm sometimes able to click on Screenset #9 and Re-Dock the Inspector View to get it back to the way I like it to work . . . though, it's annoying to do so every time I open a project.

I think if you play with the preset screen sets you can get some things working like they did pre Lenses feature.
    Sorry, it may not be a direct answer to your issue, but I hope it helps in some way . . . something about the introduction of Lenses ?

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Projects layout has been altered (Workspace/Lens issue?) 2017/06/02 13:57:23 (permalink)
    noynekker
    I used to be able to toggle between Track View and Console View using the Windows keyboard command Ctrl+Tab

Pressing D will toggle. Well in essence what it does is hide/show the Multidock.
    Pressing SHIFT+D will maximize/Minimize the dock.
    Holding CNTRL+SHIFT+Left/Right Arrows will toggle through different multidock windows.

I don't know maybe im missing something. Hope this helps.

To the OP= Try going to where your Lens settings are and removing any custom made Lens' you made.
    This will prevent Sonar from loading any of them upon start up.
    I just couldn't get Lens. So I haven't used them. I wanted so bad for them to be something great that I could use, but in my opinion they would have been better off making an add on / super charging screensets.
    I had similar issues where projects never opened properly so I removed my custom made Lens' and all has been good ever since.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

noynekker
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1235
    Re: Projects layout has been altered (Workspace/Lens issue?) 2017/06/03 02:43:45 (permalink)
    chucke . . . I think you're assuming I have the Console View in the Multidock, which I don't, never have, since my keyboard command Ctrl+Tab has always worked, and saved me from needing that second monitor. It also keeps more screen real estate for the Console View, especially on my laptop. I have used Ctrl+Tab as a vital part of my workflow for . . . well, a very long time, that part of my brain is reluctant to change (:

Your suggestion of getting rid of any custom lenses created is a great tip, and led me to find out that if I go to "Manage Lenses" and click on the "None" setting, things do revert to the previous behaviour, and seem to bypass the lenses feature entirely.

For the OP, I think you should try that, and see if you get a similar result.

FWIW, when I toggle through the various Lenses presets supplied, I actually like them, and think they could be useful . . . though, I haven't totally figured out how to turn it off, when I want it off.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Cubase, RME Babyface Pro, Intel i7 3770K @3.5Ghz, Asus P8Z77-VPro/Thunderbolt, 32GB DDR3 RAM, GeForce GTX 660 Ti, 250 GB OS SSD, 2TB HDD samples, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, backed up by Macrium Reflect, Novation Impulse 61 Midi Key Controller, Tannoy Active Near Field Monitors, Guitars by Vantage, Gibson, Yamaki and Ovation.

DaveG74
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 220
    Re: Projects layout has been altered (Workspace/Lens issue?) 2017/06/03 21:46:19 (permalink)
    Thank you for the responses, everyone. As stated, I have one template file and all of my active Projects have adopted the "new look". As much as I wish to avoid having to use Lenses, I have a strategy to set the layout of all of the Projects back to my liking...

I'll open the Template file, save the Lens to a new one, and apply that Lens to all of my Projects, saving them all thereafter.

I already have my Lens selection set to "None" (as stated, I've never used Lenses).
    THambrecht
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 867
    Re: Projects layout has been altered (Workspace/Lens issue?) 2017/06/03 22:13:09 (permalink)
    You can manage the lenses.
    You can set that the lenses are not changing window layouts.
    Even every lense has its own shortcuts. You can also set that they not load their own shortcuts.
    Lenses menu --> Manage lenses
    In fact you are faster if you learn to work with lenses.

When you load a project the windows and settings are set in the new lenses.
    If you dont want that, manage the start-lense and set that they do not change any of your windows, shortcuts and settings.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
    4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re: Projects layout has been altered (Workspace/Lens issue?) 2017/06/04 03:42:21 (permalink)
    This happens to me once in a while. Have you updated SONAR recently? Or replaced/updated a VST? I did some NI updates and this happened to me, I'm guessing reading a new version forced a UI re-load and triggered some layout changes. 

This also happens to me after I've loaded another unrelated project that is several versions old. Even if I close that project and just open a different project. The latter will sometimes have layout changes.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1