Adaptive Limiter and Oversampling Question....

Author
bladetragic
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 503
2017/06/04 22:17:42 (permalink)

Adaptive Limiter and Oversampling Question....

I noticed that there is no oversampling option within the Adaptive Limiter (which I am used to seeing on all other "mastering-type" limiters), but I did read about the "16x oversampled interpolation mechanism" referenced in the eZine. 

Is this saying that the Adaptive Limiter is using 16x oversampling by default??? 

Furthermore, does that also mean there would be no benefit of using "Upsample on Render" option with this plug?

2 Replies Related Threads

drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re: Adaptive Limiter and Oversampling Question.... 2017/06/05 17:57:15 (permalink)
    There are two potential reasons to oversample with a limiter:

1. To detect intersample peaks where the peak of a digital waveform after reconstruction (or some types of processing) is higher than the sample values.

2. To reduce aliasing that can occur from the distortion created (especially) by aggressive limiting.

The eZine references #1. 

I would suggest using your ears for #2 by choosing a plugin/settings that sound good and not worry about the technical details. For modern plugins, the programmers will almost always upsample an appropriate amount if it's beneficial (or offer the option) - after all they want their plugins to sound as good as they can and the CPU hit from upsampling isn't remotely as relevant today as it used to be.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    bladetragic
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 503
    Re: Adaptive Limiter and Oversampling Question.... 2017/06/06 13:51:01 (permalink)
    Thanks for the response @drewfx1
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1