UAD Apollo twin and SPLAT crashing - help?

Author
Pastacrow
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 105
2017/06/05 02:20:05 (permalink)

UAD Apollo twin and SPLAT crashing - help?

Recently purchased UAD Apollo twin USB to replace my Roland Octacapture because of crash issues over many years.
Unfortunately, the crashes seem to have followed me.
It often seems to happen on simply pressing play or record (I get a nasty 'crack/pop' sound - like you hear when unplugging a guitar lead when the amp is still turned up). From that point on Sonar stays open, but trying to play audio just gives repeated 'crack/pop' sounds thereafter on each mouse or keystroke click and the audio engine wont engage.
Rebooting the Apollo or rebooting Sonar by themselves often doesn't seem to help. The only solution is to turn both computer and Apollo off. 
At one stage I thought it might be VST instruments and gradually eliminated them - however it still can happen with just a single audio track. I might go an hour or two without a crash and then have 3 in half an hour.
Any ideas?
I've scoured the UAD site and Cakewalk site but found nothing helpful as yet.

Sonar Platinum (Lifetime!) + Samplitude Pro X3 Suite + Presonus Studio One 3
(previously Cakewalk & Pro Audio 3,5,6,8,9 | Sonar 2,3,5,6,8,8.5 | Sonar Producer X1,X2,X3E )
Intel Core i7-4790 / 3.6 / 16 GB RAM
240 GB SSD / 2.0 TB HD / 2GB Nvidia GTX750ti / Windows 8.1 x 64bit
UAD Apollo Twin USB / Roland Octacapture 

7 Replies Related Threads

THambrecht
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 867
    Re: UAD Apollo twin and SPLAT crashing - help? 2017/06/05 12:16:29 (permalink)
    It can also be a problem with your USB port on your computer. Even updating does not help, because its up to the hardware.
    We have a lot of laptops recording tapes and vinyl. And every laptop has its own behaviour with the same USB audiointerfaces although its the same SONAR and the same windows and recording to the same NAS-Server. Some laptops crash by closing a project - some crash by changing the resolution from 44 to 96 kHz. But oddly enough, the same audiointerface with an other laptop does the job without crashing SONAR.
    For example our DELL laptop is killing the firewire to an RME every two hours. An HP works with the same RME device for weeks.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
    4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
    whattarush
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re: UAD Apollo twin and SPLAT crashing - help? 2017/06/05 19:01:00 (permalink)
    You may want to try increasing your audio buffer in your Apollo Console settings. I notice that my Apollo Firewire's buffer got reset to 32 by accident and caused me all sorts of problems.

"When your moving in the positive, your destination is the brightest star"!!! www.elmarqrecords.com/ www.reverbnation.com/label/elmarqrecordsllc" www.facebook.com/pages/ElMarq-Records/160103362281 "Never look down on anyone UNLESS you're picking them up!"
    immrama
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: UAD Apollo twin and SPLAT crashing - help? 2017/06/05 19:13:38 (permalink)
    I also purchased an Apollo Twin USB and have experienced nothing but audio dropouts with SPLAT. My PC and USB ports satisfy the recommended spec and it worked perfectly well with my previous interface, a Motu 24io. Tried all buffer settings and whilst I notice an improvement with some settings, the problem never completely goes away - even on very modest projects with low track/plug-in count. Currently discussing with UAD support but they are taking days between responses (actually more than a week since the last despite reminders). I'm reading similar issues elsewhere so it appears to be a fundamental issue with the hardware or drivers - or it is incredibly sensitive to hardware setups. I'll pass on any solution if I receive one.
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: UAD Apollo twin and SPLAT crashing - help? 2017/06/05 19:28:06 (permalink)
    immrama
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: UAD Apollo twin and SPLAT crashing - help? 2017/06/05 20:36:45 (permalink)
    scook
     similar thread

Thanks

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro (64 bit), UAD Apollo Twin USB

THambrecht
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 867
    Re: UAD Apollo twin and SPLAT crashing - help? 2017/06/05 20:42:27 (permalink)
    I read by the german seller "Thomann":
    - Some USB-Ports from some Mainboards have great problems.
    - Some mainboards do not work with this interface.
    - USB3.0 USB plug-in-cards should not work

- Energy saving must be deactivated. !!!

By the way, I'm working 7 days the week with a Roland OctaCapture and had never problems. The computer is nearly running 24/7. Over 2 years.
    If you had problems with the OctaCapture, I'm very sure that this is up to the hardware and/or drivers from the USB devices.
    Make a windows system restore point. Try to update the USB ports - for example with "driver booster".

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
    4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
    Pastacrow
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 105
    Re: UAD Apollo twin and SPLAT crashing - help? 2017/06/07 09:12:19 (permalink)
    Sorry folks that I haven't gotten back sooner - busy days and some time in hospital!! (nothing too serious though).  
    • Thanks THambrecht for the USB information - i will definitely look into that.
    • Sorry to hear Immrama that you are having troubles too - I hear your frustration! Love to hear of any solutions you might find. 
    • Good suggestion Whattarush - but I have tried pretty much all the buffer settings with no observable difference.
    • Appreciate the link Scook - and the registry suggestions etc there! Will experiment.

Sonar Platinum (Lifetime!) + Samplitude Pro X3 Suite + Presonus Studio One 3
    (previously Cakewalk & Pro Audio 3,5,6,8,9 | Sonar 2,3,5,6,8,8.5 | Sonar Producer X1,X2,X3E )
    Intel Core i7-4790 / 3.6 / 16 GB RAM
    240 GB SSD / 2.0 TB HD / 2GB Nvidia GTX750ti / Windows 8.1 x 64bit
    UAD Apollo Twin USB / Roland Octacapture 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1