Sonar Platinum Dropouts and freezes.

Author
LDMP
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2017/06/07 18:34:43 (permalink)

Sonar Platinum Dropouts and freezes.

Hello everyone, This is my first time posting to this forum and I am hoping that I am in the right place. Ever since the last 2 updates Sonar Platinum has become very unstable and the minute I load a plug in or move a fader I get a dropout and then program freezes. Has anyone encountered this issue and if so have you found a solution? Thank you in advance!!

10 Replies Related Threads

PurpleNurple
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Sonar Platinum Dropouts and freezes. 2017/06/14 02:47:23 (permalink)
    Yes. All the time. I can't find a solution and am unable to make music anymore. Very discouraging.
    johnmtate
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Sonar Platinum Dropouts and freezes. 2017/07/30 00:48:37 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I'm having the same issue. It just stops playing or will just play for a second and then freeze. I've disabled everything I can in Windows including built-in audio drivers, anti-virus, firewall, unnecessary windows services, etc. and it is still happening. This started happening after the last few updates for me as well. I have not found any solution but after spending money on a product like this and then the plugins as well, it really sucks when it doesn't work.
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Sonar Platinum Dropouts and freezes. 2017/07/31 01:40:59 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    May I suggest trying to update your onboard/outboard Video cards.
    A video card is the silent killer when it comes to audio drop outs.
    it will reek havoc. Also disable any/all wireless devices in Windows>Device manager.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Faza_TCM
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: Sonar Platinum Dropouts and freezes. 2017/07/31 12:47:05 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I've been having similar problems right up until yesterday - dropouts, crashes, virtual instruments that stopped playing every now and again, all that jazz - right up to Sonar becoming unusable.

This was all the more annoying, given that I have a fairly powerful machine (i7-6700K, 16GB RAM, fast HDD, performance meters rarely hitting 50% usage). I'm running Win10, latest version.

Yesterday, I decided I've finally had enough and went about trying to fix it. I've succeeded, I believe. As I type this, a rather heavy project (30+ tracks, 20 or so busses, audio, a number of soft synths, 4+ ProChannel modules on each track/bus) is playing with ASIO buffers set to 80 samples (reported roundtrip latency: 19.4ms) with no problems. Total system performance meters hitting 50% peaks every now and again, even with the performance killer that is Firefox open on the other monitor (admittedly, doing pageloads does cause the audio to pause briefly, but then no sane engineer runs FF while working on a session :) ).

I don't know what exactly was the "secret sauce" that fixed things, so here's what I did:
    1. I tweaked my system settings in accordance with the "Optimising your PC for Audio" guide from Focusrite (no link, as the forum software is purging them, but you can find it on their website in the Support section, I believe). If you aren't running Win10, you'll have to find an appropriate guide for your system, but I know a lot of these apply to Win7, as well.

2. I switched off Plugin Load Balancing. This probably isn't that important, but seeing as my CPU load is pretty balanced as-is, I took a cue from the Sonar Docs and turned it off for lower overhead.

3. As I am using ASIO4All as my audio driver, I went in and switched off my on-board audio in the ASIO4All control panel, leaving only the USB mixer I use for my in/out for Sonar.

4. My on-board audio comes with the Sonic Studio app. I switched it off - though I doubt this makes much of a difference, as it applies only to the on-board hardware, I believe.

IMPORTANT SAFETY TIP: whenever making any changes to ASIO4All in the context of Sonar, make sure you are doing this via the ASIO Panel button in Sonar's Preferences > Driver Settings. Previously, I'd been going directly to the ASIO4All icon in the system notifications area and would get all kinds of problems with Sonar's audio engine after making any changes.

That's pretty much all I did and it seems to have worked like a charm. I'm guessing that the system settings in 1.  and setting ASIO4All to only handle my designated hardware (3.) made the biggest difference. The other major takeaway for me was that all changes to ASIO settings should be made via Sonar's preferences window and never directly - the audio engine seems to cope so much better with that.

I hope some of this might help.
    LDMP
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: Sonar Platinum Dropouts and freezes. 2017/08/09 16:28:36 (permalink)
    Thanks for detail information. In my case I have done pretty much every you did and still not getting the results I was getting prior to the updates. I finally gave up and switched over to Studio One. I will try to still work on Sonar to see if anything changes. 
    Metaclass
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re: Sonar Platinum Dropouts and freezes. 2017/10/04 12:38:25 (permalink)
    Hi, I run on win 7, I had also more often freeze, lately it bacame alsmost hopeless. Strange thins is that it freezes, and if I wait for about 3-4 minutes, it starts over again, BUT, after I  "stop" again, it freeze. First when this happened, and program chrashed was after I installed Fabfilter. I later bougth Izotope, and now Holywood Orchestra . I talked to Nvidia support, had them to instruct me how to disabel all **** thats for gaming, I disabled also the wireless network, and the built in audio.

I told the Sonar folks that I will ask for the money back. I used this program for about 12-13 years. I payed a lot ! and now also the lifetime update... I gor suspicious when they changed that program...is the compny trying to milk out every penny now, and then close the bussiness?

Well. I did, after severeal hours of work last night, start to adjust the latency , from directly the A&H qu 32 control panel, I will use it within SONAR as suggested here....and some other tips, but ,seriously. I have tons of recording, from many years, I cannot just move over to other platforms? or should I ? what is the most reliable out there ? for us people that record guitart, bass, and like that. I also use, syths , of course, but I am not iterested in this dull industry music ; Kygo.. and this braindead things that kids sit and put tohether these days. any advice for a serious program, that works ?

I see also mentioned the driver for graphics. I bought a new screen ; 42 inch Philips, and I had to install a PCI card to use it, but disabled the audio driver from Nvidia........ this is just soooooooo frustrating...... please let us find out this together ....

I was really happy when I found other people about this, knowing that fI am not alone :(      

ok best regards from Norway, I am Per Merakerli. thanks :)
    aries
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 183
    Re: Sonar Platinum Dropouts and freezes. 2017/10/18 13:16:11 (permalink)
    luisdz1957
     Hello everyone, This is my first time posting to this forum and I am hoping that I am in the right place. Ever since the last 2 updates Sonar Platinum has become very unstable and the minute I load a plug in or move a fader I get a dropout and then program freezes. Has anyone encountered this issue and if so have you found a solution? Thank you in advance!!

My Sonar Platinum has become more unstable as well since the last 2 updates. I get freezes and crashes, sometimes with the Sonar Fault reporter activating, other times it just crashes without the Fault reporter.

Sometimes when the Sonar Fault reporter activates it sometimes does so twice, it sends one report off and then pops up again to send another report on the same Sonar Platinum crash, before I exit Sonar.

Asus X99-A/USB3.1.
    Intel Core i7 5930K Unlocked, S 2011-3, Haswell-E, 6 Core, 3.5GHz(overclock 4.2Ghz)
    32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black PC4-19200 (2400)
    1GB XFX Radeon R5 230 Passive, 1066MHz
    800W be quiet! Straight Power 10 Hybrid Modular 8
    Win 7 Pro 64Bit

Grebz
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re: Sonar Platinum Dropouts and freezes. 2017/10/20 12:51:51 (permalink)
    Same here. The project I'm currently working on has 8 audio tracks and a dozen MIDI tracks, with 3 instances of Kontakt (and 4 tracks), one instance of Miroslav Philharmonik 2 (4 tracks), and one instance of Vienna Symphonic Library (4 tracks). Nothing incredibly huge.
    I noticed that if I deactivate anything MIDI, leaving only audio tracks active, everything works fine, but any MIDI playback drops out. I have to stop and play again several times until it will start reading, but will often dropout a few seconds later. Sometimes (only sometimes), the project will read through to the end without any problem. But 95% of the time, it will drop out at some point.
    I tried to tweak the Preferences, changing both the audio and the MIDI buffers up and down to see if that would have any effect, and sometimes it does... for a while, and then suddenly, the dropouts will come back, either during the same session, or after I close and reopen Sonar (even after a complete system reboot).
    I also tried to tweak the Kontakt options to edit the buffer or CPU core usage options, but it didn't help.

I use Sonar Platinum, with Roland Quad Capture audio interface (ASIO), I've got a 6-core i7 4930K CPU with 32 GB of RAM and a SSD, Windows 10 64-bit up-to-date. With a system like that, there shouldn't be any performance issues.

Please developers, hear us and instead of focusing on adding new features every month, focus on having Sonar stable and smooth at all times. Then you can add stuff. Thanks.
    Metaclass
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re: Sonar Platinum Dropouts and freezes. 2017/10/20 21:34:49 (permalink)
    ok, I just want to update something , everything might help someone :)....ok, I just set the SONAR to adjust the prosessor cores, to even out, its mentioned here earlier, its now active, BUT, I also changed both my C drive and the drive for audio, to SSD, both.
    I unchecked the indexing option in the drives. I think, I also found that my USB port could be inactivated, and that I unabled this in the Device manager....... Its now working quite fine. and also I updadted SONAR, as I have the life time update version ......
    lgmab
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 93
    Re: Sonar Platinum Dropouts and freezes. 2018/09/14 22:02:28 (permalink)
    I have been in this RUT for over a year and no way out, I think windows updates screwed things up.

Sonar Platinum
    HP Envy Laptop 16GB RAM i7-4710 Windows 10
    Motu 16A
    Sweat and Tears with occasional profanities!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1