Comping vs Sound on Sound: Dos and Don'ts

Author
Thedoccal
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 290
2017/06/08 13:32:28 (permalink)

Comping vs Sound on Sound: Dos and Don'ts

What can you do in "Sound on Sound" mode that you MUST NOT DO in "Comping" mode?
For instance: 
Comping mode - Can you split a take in a lane into many parts and move them into different positions within that lane?
                         Can you save all your takes as separate wave files and use them in a different song as regular tracks?

What are the "rules" that define the differences between the two editing modes?  The first one above is the main concern for me.

http://www.catastrophelounge.com
The NeckDive Strap - NEW^^
Sonar: Platinum Lifetime/Computer: i7-870, 16GB RAM, AMD R9 380 graphics, Windows 10 (Pro x64)/500gb SSD C:, Barracuda sample(3T) and projects(1T) drives/3 Display Monitors (2&3 split)/Audio Interface: Behringer UFX1604 USB/Firewire/USB Stick/MIDI: Roland A-800Pro, Keystation Pro 88, Roland UM-3G:/Hardware Synths: Korg M3, Yamaha MOX6, Roland TD-8

7 Replies Related Threads

gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Comping vs Sound on Sound: Dos and Don'ts 2017/06/08 13:59:02 (permalink)
    I really never use sound on sound. You can do anything with comping.
    post edited by gswitz - 2017/06/08 16:07:35

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    interpolated
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re: Comping vs Sound on Sound: Dos and Don'ts 2017/06/08 14:36:48 (permalink)
    Sound on Sound is like overdubbing on a tape. Comping is better for multiple takes then splicing out the best parts before consolidating them to a single track.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
    almeister
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 111
    Re: Comping vs Sound on Sound: Dos and Don'ts 2017/06/08 15:24:38 (permalink)
    For the first part of your question, yes, you can split and move around, I've done it with guitar fills/licks/solos. The second part, I'm not sure of as I've never tried. 
    reginaldStjohn
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 485
    Re: Comping vs Sound on Sound: Dos and Don'ts 2017/06/08 20:44:33 (permalink)
    Comping and Sound on Sound are not so much a distinction in editing but more on what happens when you record multiple times over the same time area.

In comping mode the previous audio is muted and the new take becomes what is audible. Each take is saved in a take lane that can later be "comped" taking parts from each take as desired.

In sound on sound mode the only difference is that each take is audible. That is, if you recorded a part 4 times you would have 4 takes in 4 take lanes and they would all be playing.  If you open the take lanes you can comp, edit and mute areas just as if you had recorded it in comping mode.

In overwrite mode each take overwrites the previous data so you only end up with one take.

That is my understanding at least.

AMD Phenom II x6, 8 GB Ram, 2 Internal SATA III HD
    Windows 10
    Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 Interface/Mixer
    Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
    Line6 Helix Guitar Processor 
    Custom Made (El Bandito) Telecaster
    LTD ESP EC-1000
    PRS El Torrero SE
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Comping vs Sound on Sound: Dos and Don'ts 2017/06/10 15:35:16 (permalink)
    reginaldStjohn
    Comping and Sound on Sound are not so much a distinction in editing but more on what happens when you record multiple times over the same time area.

In comping mode the previous audio is muted and the new take becomes what is audible. Each take is saved in a take lane that can later be "comped" taking parts from each take as desired.

In sound on sound mode the only difference is that each take is audible. That is, if you recorded a part 4 times you would have 4 takes in 4 take lanes and they would all be playing.  If you open the take lanes you can comp, edit and mute areas just as if you had recorded it in comping mode.

In overwrite mode each take overwrites the previous data so you only end up with one take.

That is my understanding at least.

That's about right...    Comping, Overwrite and Sound on Sound are classified as recording modes.  
    http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Recording.10.html

What you do with the clips after the fact, that's the editing side of comping (or layering where applicable).

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

rmfegley
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 114
    Re: Comping vs Sound on Sound: Dos and Don'ts 2017/06/10 16:20:25 (permalink)
    Just to note, these modes also apply to MIDI recording. Sound on sound is useful for doing things like building up a drum track by looping and recording each part (kick, snare, hat, etc.) during multiple passes.

Sonar Platinum latest update
    Windows 10 Home
    i7-4790 CPU
    ASRock Z97 Pro4 MB
    16 GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 960
    Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 
    Alesis VI49 Keyboard/controller
    Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S49 keyboard/controller
    Native Instruments Maschine Mk3

Native Instruments Maschine Jam
    Native Instruments Komplete 10
    Various other commercial and free plugins
    &
    AllanH
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re: Comping vs Sound on Sound: Dos and Don'ts 2017/06/10 23:27:16 (permalink)
    Even when running with "Sound on Sound" the take-lanes are used. However, they are not expanded, and it's simple to bounce everything into one track. This is how I make my percussion tracks.

Sonar Platinum, EWHO/D, Spitfire, Miroslav, Pianoteq, ....,  Kurzweil.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1