Another song by NOC titled Once.

Author
Sam4246
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 148
2017/06/10 00:56:02 (permalink)

Another song by NOC titled Once.

Over a year into recording music using my first DAW - Sonar.  I think I finally have a better understanding of how to use it. 
That's me on the background vocals and the telephone effect vocals singing, "Tell me."
The drums are AD2 programmed by me, I played the bass guitar, rhythm guitar, and some of the lead guitar. 
Marc did the main vocals and the crunch rhythm guitar over the verses.  
Anyway - please rip the mix to hell because I really still do not know what I am doing.  I think the guitars are too loud, but I mixed it and I play guitar. Usually I turn them down right away to make up for it.  But, I used subtractive EQ, EQ carving, HPF and compression to get to this mix.  I also used LPF on the background vocals which brought them out more.  After all this time, I figured out that EQ is nothing more than a smart volume knob.  Please, let me know what you think and don't hold back.  I am not one these thin skinned pansy ass Americans who are offended at every last thing.  Let it rip!  Thanks everyone. 
https://soundcloud.com/user-509713656/once

5 Replies Related Threads

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Another song by NOC titled Once. 2017/06/10 10:47:01 (permalink)
    No expert on mixing but it sounds over compressed to me, the lead vocals could do with being a tad more forward and present.  Interesting thought on EQ being "nothing more than a smart volume knob", more a selective one perhaps.

Mixing is an art and it takes time to learn, with practice you will get there in the end, thanks for sharing

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re: Another song by NOC titled Once. 2017/06/10 14:32:26 (permalink)
    Rockin' tune.  I was just listening on my pc speakers, but the mix sounded ok on them.  Vocals could be more present though.  
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Another song by NOC titled Once. 2017/06/14 19:33:24 (permalink)
    Sam4246
    Please, let me know what you think and don't hold back.  I am not one these thin skinned pansy ass Americans who are offended at every last thing.  Let it rip!  Thanks everyone. 
    https://soundcloud.com/user-509713656/once

OK, I had to laugh at the one.   

Good song, I liked it.  Guitars sound good here, wide and present.  Maybe a notch too loud in the arrangement...   The drums seem to lack a bit of "snap" and the vocals are sitting under the music - perhaps as Wooks noted the overall mix is a bit overcompressed and could use to breathe a little more.   But what I hear only needs some tweaking.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Another song by NOC titled Once. 2017/06/15 04:21:12 (permalink)
    It's so ironic that I'm offended.

Not really.

First, the guitars sound really great. And so do the drums. And the slightly off-kilter change of meter is very inventive and welcome.

It's hard to harmonize a bgv when the lead vocal is falling, dropping off, decreasing in pitch. Sounds pretty close though.

I hear the style of Pearl Jam being aimed at! That's a great target and you get there. Mix-wise I didn't mind the compression, nothing sounded too spitty to me. Cool tune. You might rethink the cuss word, I think it cheapens your effort a little. Just my .02 

cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    Sam4246
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 148
    Re: Another song by NOC titled Once. 2017/07/03 15:33:12 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input. I think the over compressed part is because I used one of the L limters from Waves and like an old school analog mixer, I brought the threshold down too much on the master - going to try it again with that and not push it down as much.
    And Tom - I have said that many times about the cursing.
    You guys - thanks again for all your feedbac, advice, and tips!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1