Getting "save changes" prompt when no changes were made -SOLVED

Author
gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
2017/06/10 20:43:16 (permalink)

Getting "save changes" prompt when no changes were made -SOLVED

When I open Splat, I have it opening to my normal template. If I make no changes and then open a new CWP, I get a “save changes” prompt for the template. This started happening in the 2017.01 update. I assumed it would be fixed, but it’s still not fixed on the 2017.15 update.

I have drum maps and several soft synths and FX in my template, plus many tracks and 3 folders.. In my decades of using Sonar, this has never happened and I’ve always had Sonar open to my template.

I assume it’s because I have Splat opening to my template, because if I already have Splat open and then open my normal template and then open a CWP file, I don’t get the “save changes” prompt – strange!

Anyone else experienced this?
post edited by gmp - 2017/06/12 05:18:37

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T

7 Replies Related Threads

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Getting "save changes" prompt when no changes were made 2017/06/10 21:18:25 (permalink)
    Soft synths in your templates are probably the reason why if any parameters change automatically, e.g., something being controlled by an LFO. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    THambrecht
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 867
    Re: Getting "save changes" prompt when no changes were made 2017/06/10 21:53:31 (permalink)
    Here the same with only-audio-projects.
    I guess this is up to the lenses. The lenses change windows positions and visibility during the start. Even if child-windows are not changed, they get a command during startup to move to certain positions. Sonar "thinks" this is a change.
    Just a guess.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
    4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
    gmp
    Re: Getting "save changes" prompt when no changes were made 2017/06/10 22:07:54 (permalink)
    Anderton
    Soft synths in your templates are probably the reason why if any parameters change automatically, e.g., something being controlled by an LFO. 

If this is it, then I wonder why this only occurs after Splat opens to my template. On any other CWPs or even my normal template file after Splat is open it doesn't happen. Also this behavior has only started for me with 2017.01, although it could have been sooner, since I went from 2016.09 to 2017.01. Thanks for speculating

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
    gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    Re: Getting "save changes" prompt when no changes were made 2017/06/10 22:36:20 (permalink)
    Automation in a track will cause this because parameters changed due to the automation.

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

gmp
    Re: Getting "save changes" prompt when no changes were made 2017/06/10 22:48:20 (permalink)
    THambrecht
    Here the same with only-audio-projects.
    I guess this is up to the lenses. The lenses change windows positions and visibility during the start. Even if child-windows are not changed, they get a command during startup to move to certain positions. Sonar "thinks" this is a change.
    Just a guess.

Maybe the lenses are what's doing it. Once I open Splat  and my template loads, I suppose the lenses do their thing and like I said I typically don’t use lenses after that

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    gmp
    Re: Getting "save changes" prompt when no changes were made 2017/06/11 04:48:46 (permalink)
    gustabo
    Automation in a track will cause this because parameters changed due to the automation.

[<font]I use automation all the time and never have gotten the "save changes" prompt from opening an automation project without making changes. My template definitely doesn’t have any automation written, since it's all blank tracks.

[<font]Lenses is the most likely culprit, but this only happens when Splat first opens. I did try changing the lenses on a CWP that was open and then opened another CWP, but I didn't get a save changes prompt, so again this is some quirk when Splat first boots up. Also this behavior only started in the last few months for me, I think with 2017.01

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    gmp
    Re: Getting "save changes" prompt when no changes were made 2017/06/12 05:17:59 (permalink)
    Well after much testing I solved the problem. It was caused by lenses. The culprit was me saving my custom lenses to my template. All I had to do to fix it was to open my template and at the top right the box for lenses I chose "none" instead of my custom lenses.

It seems like Plat remembers the very last setting chosen for lenses and automatically loads that lenses after a CWP or CWT opens. After saving this change to my template I went ahead and chose my custom lenses, so now when my template opens, it has my custom lenses selected not “none”.

Apparently since I was saving the lenses setting in my template I was getting a double selection for my custom lenses and Splat I assume looked at that as a change to the file and prompted "save changes". Well that's my theory, maybe someone with more knowledge has a better one. But regardless I don't have that errant prompt anymore

In my case since I’m not currently using different lenses just my own custom one, I’m not bothered by this. Maybe one day when I am using a different lenses for mixing, I may not like this limitation when starting a new project, so I still think it’s a bug and will report it.

Gerry Peters
    Midi Magic Studio
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1