I believe in magic

Author
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
2017/06/10 22:04:56 (permalink)

I believe in magic

This morning, I got up, plugged in and nothing worked as it should.

My GR20 had a new hiss. Sonar wouldn't record.

Since then I have fixed both because I'm jeeneus.

https://www.ssguitar.com/index.php?topic=1712.0

I read this and disassembled the gr20 hoping to take photos of parts I would buy to try to solder in and fix it.

I found some bent parts while I had it all in pieces and straightened them.

After reassembling, the static is gone. I'm guessing I bent the parts stomping on it while at my last jam.

And Sonar works fine after removing my Alpha Track from the Controllers list.

Total spent: $0

:-)

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.

9 Replies Related Threads

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: I believe in magic 2017/06/11 03:37:39 (permalink)
    Many years ago I had the (manual gear change) clutch in the car I had at the time jam solid. I got into it one morning, switched on, pressed the clutch to put it in gear and the clutch pedal couldn't be moved at all.

So I tried cracking open the hydraulics thinking the problem might be one of the hydraluc cylinders. Nope. No jet of compressed fluid, nothing. And even with the hydraulics empty the operating lever the hydraulics push on to open the clutch still couldn't be shifted.

So I bit the bullet and started stripping the entire clutch assembly down. This not being the easiest of things to get at, and messy to put it mildly. Plates fine. Springs fine. Everything measured as it should, no wear, looked perfect. Dismantled it completely to check a shim hadn't creased. Nope.

So I put it all back together again using the parts I'd just dismantled and........ it worked.

Sometimes all it needs to fix something is to take it apart and put it together again.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: I believe in magic 2017/06/11 03:52:24 (permalink)
    Wow...that's the first time I've heard of someone rebooting a transmission!

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: I believe in magic 2017/06/11 10:36:19 (permalink)
    tlw
    Many years ago I had the (manual gear change) clutch in the car I had at the time jam solid. I got into it one morning, switched on, pressed the clutch to put it in gear and the clutch pedal couldn't be moved at all.

So I tried cracking open the hydraulics thinking the problem might be one of the hydraluc cylinders. Nope. No jet of compressed fluid, nothing. And even with the hydraulics empty the operating lever the hydraulics push on to open the clutch still couldn't be shifted.

So I bit the bullet and started stripping the entire clutch assembly down. This not being the easiest of things to get at, and messy to put it mildly. Plates fine. Springs fine. Everything measured as it should, no wear, looked perfect. Dismantled it completely to check a shim hadn't creased. Nope.

So I put it all back together again using the parts I'd just dismantled and........ it worked.

Sometimes all it needs to fix something is to take it apart and put it together again.

This is true with a lot of things in life.
    Sometimes you have to start at the beginning, to figure out why the end isn't working.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Wibbles
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 404
    Re: I believe in magic 2017/06/11 11:05:00 (permalink)
    tlw

...and try not to worry about the 3 leftover screws you have.

I'm off to see the Wibble, the wonderful Wibble of Wobble

promidi
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1220
    Re: I believe in magic 2017/06/11 11:20:11 (permalink)
    Wibbles
    tlw

...and try not to worry about the 3 leftover screws you have.

As long as you don't hear one of those screws in the laser printer you have just reassembled...

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
    PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
    CPU: i5 4670. 
    Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
    Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
    : Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
    ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
    Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
    Jesse Screed
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re: I believe in magic 2017/06/11 19:18:59 (permalink)
    Even better,

One night I had a dream that I went to the local petrol station and bought a "scratchcard."

The next morning, just for the helluvit, I stopped at the neighborhood station and picked a scratchcard from the myriad of choices.

I won $100.

I haven't had a dream like that since.

Jesse Q. Screed
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: I believe in magic 2017/06/12 16:04:19 (permalink)
    I had a day like that last week. So many things didn't work right that I considered going back to bed.

One of those things was a new hiss in my speakers. My new QSCs that I love, partly because they're so quiet. Turned off the mixer, the hiss diminished but was still unacceptably loud. I began to panic. Do I still have the shipping cartons they came in? Should I tear them down myself or send them to the factory? What will QSC charge me for a new amplifier module? If I take them apart or send them away, what am I going to use for this weekend's gig?

Then I walked around to the back of the speaker and discovered that the volume control had been bumped in transport after the previous gig and was set to its maximum rotation. Brought it back to 12 o'clock where I normally run it and all was well.

Then I sat down with a sense of relief and pulled up SONAR. There was a crackling noise in the right speaker. My treasured Emotivas. I began to panic. Do I still have the shipping cartons they came in? Should I tear them down myself or send them to the factory? What will Emotiva charge me for a new amplifier module? Do I even want to keep these speakers if the quality is so poor that they fail in less than a year?

Then I swapped the left and right XLR cables. The crackling moved to the other side. I remembered that I'd bought these TRS-to-XLR cables from PartsExpress.com because they were ten bucks apiece, so if they worked out it would be a great bargain and a great source for future cable purchases. I'd forgotten that I'd been dubious, forgotten it was an experiment. Replaced the cables, and all was well again. Note to self: ten-dollar cables are like marked-down tuna sandwiches; ya takes yer chances.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: I believe in magic 2017/06/12 17:00:36 (permalink)
    Home studios are scary places. There is a lot of money riding on faith and good luck. 
    I am so happy to not except clients anymore. Murphy's law requires that something will only break when someone is breathing down your neck. And for live gigs I make sure I have redundancy for each piece of gear. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re: I believe in magic 2017/06/13 11:08:36 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    There is a lot of money riding on faith and good luck. 

And duct tape...Don't forget the duct tape!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1