Behringer X18 X Air

Author
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
2017/06/12 17:15:54 (permalink)

Behringer X18 X Air

This isn't entirely Sonar related but I recently bought a Behringer X18 digital mixing desk because I needed a small footprint mixer that would still give me three stereo in ear mixes, and I couldn't spend a thousand bucks or more. I'd just like to take a minute to praise the hell out of the price/quality ratio of this thing :)

Headliner features for me include:
- built in router (not a huge range but I'd be mixing from stage right next to the thing anyway)
- sixteen (!) combo mic/line inputs and one sterel line in/out on rca
- six aux buses, configurable as three stereo pairs
- four fx buses with surprisingly good fx
- apps for all major platforms - Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux
- separate app, also for all platforms, for performers to control only their own monitoring mix
- 100 "snapshots" (complete mixer states) can be saved inside the device so they show up no matter what app you connect with
- dynamics and EQ with real time FFT analysis for every channel
- last but not least, it's an 18 channel USB audio interface with proper ASIO drivers, making it a breeze to do live band recordings or do virtual soundchecks, as long as you don't mind bringing a laptop or have the appropriate iPad recording software.

I realize there are devices with more features and it won't be replacing my RME in the studio for sound quality either (though it sounds perfectly fine for live), but the kicker is that I got a B Stock at Thomann (Germany) for just 370 euros (I don't pay VAT as I'm self employed in Holland). Really blown away, if anyone needs a small mixer with lots of options for live and doesn't want to fork over 1000 bucks or more, I heartily recommend.

2 Replies Related Threads

patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re: Behringer X18 X Air 2017/06/13 11:14:45 (permalink)
    I am actually using it as my front end.  The Midas preamps sound better (to me) than the Presonus Firepod I used before.
    Have you done any live recordings?  It is extremely easy!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Behringer X18 X Air 2017/06/13 11:35:32 (permalink)
    Using a XR-18 for band rehearsals.
    Absolutely zero complaints.
    Mind blowing just how much you get in a $400 digital mixer!

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1