Clip editing confusion

Author
jkoseattle
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 556
2017/06/13 13:18:31 (permalink)

Clip editing confusion

http://imgur.com/a/ivS9P

Regarding the gif above, oftentimes I am suddenly unable to split a clip, and I don't understand why. You can't see in the gif, but when I am showing the scissors cursor, I am repeatedly clicking on the clip to split it, but nothing happens. EDIT: After recording the gif, I learned that I CAN split the clip anywhere else, just not right where I want to. So I can split elsewhere and then move the ends of the split clips so they are split where I want them. But still, why?

Secondly, the gif shows me hovering over the end of the clip and only seeing that ubiquitous crossfade cursor with the two rectangles, which I NEVER need to use. Sometimes, and I don't understand why, it's the only editing mode available at the edge of a clip. I can't drag its end without also dragging other clips, and I also can't edit the fade envelope, even though there is clearly one there to edit.. Can someone help me get out of that common situation?

Sonar Version: Platinum  
Audio Interface: M-Audio Delta
Computer: Dell i5 3.1 GHz, 12Gb RAM, Windows 10 64-bit
Soft Synths: EastWest PLAY Symphonic Orchestra
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio 2x2 MidiSport Anniv Edition
Settings: 16-Bit, Sample Rate 44.1k, ASIO Buffer Size 128-1024, Record/Playback I/O Buffers play:256k, rec: 64k, Total Round Trip Latency 48 ms  
Check out my work here

1 Reply Related Threads

reginaldStjohn
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 485
    Re: Clip editing confusion 2017/06/13 20:04:43 (permalink)
    It appears that you are in take lanes. In this mode you are usually doing comping (selecting different takes from multiple take lanes to create one track). In this area in order to split clips you usually don't use the scissors but you just put your cursor towards the bottom of a clip and drag to make a new comp area. This will split all clips in all take lanes and unmute the one you dragged across. If you do want to split them you have to make sure that all the clips you want to split are selected first.

The two rectangles you see are to move a comping split point.  You can get to the slip edit for each clip but I usually have to make the take lanes larger and you put your cursor towards the top of the clip.  As for the fades, again because it appears you are in take lanes, you generally don't move them manually but you put your cursor between a split point and hold shift or control and the cursor will change allowing you to make the crossfade larger or smaller.

Please see the documentation: https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Arranging.42.html

AMD Phenom II x6, 8 GB Ram, 2 Internal SATA III HD
    Windows 10
    Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 Interface/Mixer
    Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
    Line6 Helix Guitar Processor 
    Custom Made (El Bandito) Telecaster
    LTD ESP EC-1000
    PRS El Torrero SE
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1