Author
taccess
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 534
2017/06/15 03:56:17 (permalink)

Preserve Mono and Stereo tracks Signal Path/Export

I have all my mono tracks as follows:
a) Interleave on all my mono tracks
b) My mono track/s inputs : Left (mono) all the way down the the Pre Master Mono bus
c) Pre Master Mono bus : i cant select the input for this so i have the interleave /mono switch enabled
d) Pre master goes to my master which has the stereo interleave switch enabled

Similar for my stereo tracks but with ( stereo : interleave and inputs ) all the way down to master .

2 Questions :
1) Is my approach appropriate for a correct signal path in platinum for mono and stereo tracks ?
2) What is the best way to export a final mix down with mono + stereo tracks preserved correctly ?
( The best export options and any other advice )
Channel format ? Follow source
Bit Depth ? Highest
Dithering ? None

z800 Dual x5690
NvME 256gb 950Pro / Win10
LSI  MegaRaid
Nvidia 450 GTS
96GB 1366MHZ
RME Babyface
KingsMix
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 498
Re: Preserve Mono and Stereo tracks Signal Path/Export 2017/06/15 04:43:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby taccess 2017/06/16 00:27:35
taccess
I have all my mono tracks as follows:
a) Interleave on all my mono tracks
b) My mono track/s inputs : Left (mono) all the way down the the Pre Master Mono bus
c) Pre Master Mono bus : i cant select the input for this so i have the interleave /mono switch enabled
d) Pre master goes to my master which has the stereo interleave switch enabled

Similar for my stereo tracks but with ( stereo : interleave and inputs ) all the way down to master .

2 Questions :
1) Is my approach appropriate for a correct signal path in platinum for mono and stereo tracks ?
2) What is the best way to export a final mix down with mono + stereo tracks preserved correctly ?
( The best export options and any other advice )
Channel format ? Follow source
Bit Depth ? Highest
Dithering ? None

Yes to question #1

Questions #2 A thru C
2A (yes)Follow source

2B Bit Depth depends on what you are going to do with exported file next.
Example 1: If you are going to master your export file after export, leave it at the same bit depth that it was recorded at (no dither).  Example 2: if you are going to burn  a CD from the exported file, it needs to be exported at 16 Bit and dithered. Those are just a couple of examples.
Also note that if you recorded the project say at 32 Bit, you dont want to select 64 on export (so it's not the highest you're looking for, it depends on what your project was recorded at and what your next step for the export file is, mastering, CD burn, MP3 etc.)

2C Dither also depends on what step you are going to next with the export. I.E CD burning should be dithered since you are probably going to 16Bit from a higher rate.

That being said, experiment with a few versions and see what sounds best or right. If the dither or bit rate choices aren't right, you'll hear it (with focused listening), especially on systems other than your recording rig.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1