Artistic Cynicism In Disorder (NSFW: Language)

Author
Leee
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
2017/06/16 00:03:42 (permalink)

Artistic Cynicism In Disorder (NSFW: Language)

It was around 3:00 am in the morning, I had just finished watching Love & Mercy, the Brian Wilson movie, and had an excessive amount of creative energy in me.  So I went into my studio and quickly wrote and recording this song and finished it as the sun was coming up.  Although I did spend a lot of additional time in post-production, adding efx, cleaning up and mixing.  I'd say the song is about 60% emotion and 40% technique.
If I had to try and fit it into some kind of category, it would be blues, psychedelic, rock.  Perhaps somewhere in between Pink Floyd and The Grateful Dead.
I didn't expect much from the song, it was just something that needed to come out of me, LOL, but the more I worked on it, the more I liked it.  And I'll add the usual disclaimer that my vocals are not that great, especially for a song like this which could have used a really good blues singer.

But with all that being said, I ended up posting it to my Facebook page (twice actually, a second time after another revision).
However I failed to get any kind of feedback, even from my friends who normally leave some kind of comment for the songs I post.  Which might suggest it's too crappy and my friends took the "If you have nothing good to say...." approach.
It's one of those instances where you get too close to a song and can't really be totally objective about it.  But I know when I listen to it, even though it's rough, loose, and a bit overproduced, I still like it...just for what it is.   So I'd be interested to get some feedback, good or bad, from you folks here.   Thanks for listening!
(Scroll down the song's page for lyrics)

"Artistic Cynicism In Disorder"
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13585432

Lee Shapiro
www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.

5 Replies Related Threads

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Artistic Cynicism In Disorder (NSFW: Language) 2017/06/16 12:15:54 (permalink)
    Leee
     even though it's rough, loose

Yes it is a little as described, quite possibly if you remixed it so it does not sound like everything is competing for the same space it would help.  The guitar is also very hard to hear in places.

Work on it some more you could well have a worthy song in there.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Leee
    Re: Artistic Cynicism In Disorder (NSFW: Language) 2017/06/16 22:48:02 (permalink)
    Thanks Wookiee, I appreciate the feedback.  Although, I did a fair amount of mixing to specifically give each instrument it's own space:  The keyboards were panned left -30, and acoustic guitar panned right +30
    The lead guitar was intentionally left low in the mix, except during the guitar solos toward the end of the song.
    The lead guitar was playing throughout the song, meant to be mixed at the same volume as all the other instruments, otherwise if I made it any louder, it would detract from the vocals.  I only brought it to the front of the mix, several times in between vocal phrases, and (as I mentioned) during the solo at the end.
    Plus it was mastered with Ozone 7, which (using the "Imager" module), increased the stereo separation even further.

But I'll take another listen after reading your suggestions, and see if I can further give the individual instruments more space.   I'm not trying to make excuses for you comments, but I just wanted to acknowledge that I did make an attempt to separate the instruments.   Thanks again!

Lee Shapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
    Leee
    Re: Artistic Cynicism In Disorder (NSFW: Language) 2017/06/18 12:07:54 (permalink)
    I did another mix and hopefully gave the instruments a bit more space.   I also combined the kick drum and bass into a separate bus, added some punch to it for a clearer bottom end.  And I brought the lead guitar up a bit in the mix.
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13585432

Lee Shapiro

stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Artistic Cynicism In Disorder (NSFW: Language) 2017/06/26 19:07:33 (permalink)
    Yeah...  I'm definitely getting a Floyd vibe from this one, both from the music (the keys are very Richard Wright) and the harmony lead vocals.  The arrangement is a bit busy/layered but I like it.    Mix also sounds pretty good from here.    

The image you've chosen on Soundclick is appropriate.  

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Leee
    Re: Artistic Cynicism In Disorder (NSFW: Language) 2017/06/27 03:34:44 (permalink)
    stevec
    Yeah...  I'm definitely getting a Floyd vibe from this one, both from the music (the keys are very Richard Wright) and the harmony lead vocals.  The arrangement is a bit busy/layered but I like it.    Mix also sounds pretty good from here.    

The image you've chosen on Soundclick is appropriate.  

Thanks for listening Steve.  Yeah I tend to create things that are a bit busy, whether it's music or visual artwork.
    The layers in the song help cover up mistakes.

Lee Shapiro

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1