Sands Of Time

Author
AndyB01
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 200
2017/06/21 22:25:37 (permalink)

Sands Of Time

So here's the latest in my continuing journey experimenting with EzKeys - which I like to think of as my personal session pianist - once again the lyrics are all mine so all feedback and constructive critique welcome. This is a very simple arrangement - just keys, vocal and a hint of strings. The vocals are a stretch - for me at least - and you can tell in places so apologies for the odd 'Cher' moment where I may have over-cooked Melodyne slightly.

There's hiss on the vox track I know - a rookie error arising from using a new and better mic and not checking the impact on the recording level. I will re-cut the vocal at some point because the only way to get rid of the hiss I know of is not to record it in the first place - unless you guys know differently.

This song means a lot to me - it's fairly personal - which is why there's no back story on the information pane in SoundCloud. You'll just have to work that out all for yourselves. ;-)

Andy

https://soundcloud.com/andyb01/sands-of-time

Sonar Platinum, Win10 Pro 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, Six-core AMD, Twin SSD. Instruments: Roland A88 and Taylor 314CE all through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. More ambition than talent.

4 Replies Related Threads

bjornpdx
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re: Sands Of Time 2017/06/22 03:37:29 (permalink)
    Andy
    The lyrics are very good (sands of time have fallen...turn the glass- nice!)
    Good use of harmony here and there.
    Those parts where the piano exactly matched the vocals didn't quite work for me.
    I think the piano dynamics need some attention.
    I understand about vocals being a challenge but I thought you did a good job here.
    Bjorn

Bjorn
    soundcloud.com/orygun
    www.bjornfredrickson.com
    https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
    Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
    AndyB01
    Re: Sands Of Time 2017/06/23 19:11:17 (permalink)
    Bjorn

Yes I do know what you mean about the parts where the melody follows the piano, but there wasn't really anywhere else to take the melody that I could see. I'll have to have a play when I get more time.

Thank you for your kind observations on the lyrics - I do beat myself up over these for some songs (this one in particular) and there are still a couple of words I might change.

You're not the first person to comment that EzKeys piano dynamics are a bit flat. A few edits in PRV might be required to add some light and shade.

Appreciate you taking the time to listen and provide feedback. Thanks, Andy

Sonar Platinum, Win10 Pro 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, Six-core AMD, Twin SSD. Instruments: Roland A88 and Taylor 314CE all through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. More ambition than talent.

stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Sands Of Time 2017/06/28 19:15:45 (permalink)
    I think you've got the foundation, it just needs some interior decoration.      I do hear that hi-end hiss or sibilance on the vocals but I imagine a redo would cure that.   I wonder what adding a fretless bass line would sound like..

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

AndyB01
    Re: Sands Of Time 2017/06/28 20:04:38 (permalink)
    stevecI wonder what adding a fretless bass line would sound like..

I imagine it might add some required depth and resonance - I'll definitely give that a shot. Good suggestion thanks.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1