USB MIDI Keyboard input not working

Author
phil5633
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 154
2017/06/20 21:13:26 (permalink)

USB MIDI Keyboard input not working

I just completed a new DAW build and am currently installing SONAR Platinum, associated extras and 3rd-party plugins. See my signature line below for the specs of the new DAW. I'm currently working on stand-alone versions of synths and synths in instrument tracks. MIDI input isn't working for any of these most of the time but it sometimes does. Right now, it's not working at all.

I have a AKAI MPK49. It shows up reliably in Device Manager (DM) under Sound, video and game controllers and when I remove/insert the USB connector into the back of the MPK49, it's line in DM goes away and comes back. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it in DM and I've tried to update drivers. According to DM I have the latest drivers and the device is working properly.

I've tried several google searches finding nothing useful except a video that stated that there are only 10 MIDI ports available in Windows 10. That could be the problem because when I started SONAR once in this process, a dialog box indicating that there were no MIDI ports available for the (3) MPK49 MIDI inputs. That doesn't happen now. All 3 MPK49 MIDI inputs are listed in the stand alone versions of the synths and in the MIDI Device list for SONAR.

In the video the instructor used a KORG app to display all connected MIDI devices and select the active ones. I don't think I have and haven't found such an app. Can someone help me troubleshoot and correct this problem? 

Thanks.

BillP - SONAR Platinum, MOTU 828mkII, Focusrite 18i8, Akai MPK49, Windows 10 x64, Core i7-6850K 3.60GHz, 32GB DDR4, ASUS X99-DELUXE--II MB, AMD R7 250 GPU,  Behringer ADA8000, dbx 386,  (2) Aphex 207, (2) ART TPS II, Presouns E5/E8, Avantone MixCubes, Presonus Monitor Station v2

17 Replies Related Threads

rivers88
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 328
    Re: USB MIDI Keyboard input not working 2017/06/20 23:40:42 (permalink)
    You might be experience a Windows MIDI port problem due to hidden "ghost" ports.
    Here's a good article Craig Anderton wrote several years ago that might help correct your issues.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/articles/solving-the-windows-midi-port-problem.

Moving forward, always try to use the same USB ports for all your devices when unplugging and plugging them back in ~ might help eliminate the "ghost MIDI port" issue in the future, if that is indeed what the current problem is.

Also, MIDI-Ox is a GREAT freeware MIDI port monitoring and routing utility for Windows - 
    Highly recommended, works great under Windows 10.

http://www.midiox.com/

phil5633
    Re: USB MIDI Keyboard input not working 2017/06/21 15:34:20 (permalink)
    riversw88, thanks. I read Craig's article and created the batch file and followed Craig's instructions. The Akai MPK49 is shown as one of the active (not grayed out) Sound, video and game controllers. I also found and deleted 5 grayed out Microsoft Streaming devices and the Microsoft Trusted Audio Drivers and tried the keyboard again with a stand alone synth (AAS GS-2) but still no luck. The Audio Setup for GS-2 shows all three of the MPK49's MIDI inputs selected. I can play the GS-2 by clicking notes on the GS-2's displayed keyboard. There must be something else and I'm feeling pretty stupid at this point since I must be overlooking something.

I also fired up MIDI-OX. It show the three MPK49 MIDI inputs but  I couldn't figure out what to do with MIDI-OX.

Thanks again.
    Bill

BillP - SONAR Platinum, MOTU 828mkII, Focusrite 18i8, Akai MPK49, Windows 10 x64, Core i7-6850K 3.60GHz, 32GB DDR4, ASUS X99-DELUXE--II MB, AMD R7 250 GPU,  Behringer ADA8000, dbx 386,  (2) Aphex 207, (2) ART TPS II, Presouns E5/E8, Avantone MixCubes, Presonus Monitor Station v2
    abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: USB MIDI Keyboard input not working 2017/06/21 20:27:15 (permalink)
    The best thing to use MIDI-OX for is the MIDI monitor.  It shows exactly what data that you are sending from the controller.  No guessing required! 

1. It's the best way to troubleshoot MIDI connectivity issues.  If your keyboard, cables, or ports are messed up, you should be able to spot that quickly.

2. Otherwise, if that part is good and you are getting what you need into the computer reliably, then you can focus on setting up the ports in your other software.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    phil5633
    Re: USB MIDI Keyboard input not working 2017/06/21 20:51:08 (permalink)
    abacab
    The best thing to use MIDI-OX for is the MIDI monitor.  It shows exactly what data that you are sending from the controller.  No guessing required! 

1. It's the best way to troubleshoot MIDI connectivity issues.  If your keyboard, cables, or ports are messed up, you should be able to spot that quickly.

2. Otherwise, if that part is good and you are getting what you need into the computer reliably, then you can focus on setting up the ports in your other software.

Ok. It works. When I press a a key [C4 for example] MIDI-OX displays the on and off messages. I'd been using another program [Vyzex MPK49] which is tailored to managing MPK49 presets for that function. I think the MPK49 is working and Windows is receiving inputs from it. Vyzex and MIDI-OX see the inputs but SONAR and the standalone synths don't.

abacab
    Re: USB MIDI Keyboard input not working 2017/06/21 21:30:56 (permalink)
    OK, can you launch the standalone Cakewalk Rapture Session?

Look at the top menu item "MIDI", and select your MPK49 input.  See if you can play any notes in this synth, and if the virtual keyboard on Rapture Session reflects your key presses.

phil5633
    Re: USB MIDI Keyboard input not working 2017/06/21 21:51:34 (permalink)
    On a lark I moved the MPK49 USB 2.0 connection to the spare USB 2.0 port on the DAW back panel. Now it works. I viewed hidden devices in Device Manager and there was a grayed out MPK49 which I uninstalled and a new one for the new port. Also all the grayed out ports that I'd previously uninstalled were back. When I tried the keyboard in SONAR and stand-alone synths it worked. I don't know why but it did. So I switched it back to the original USB 2.0 port. It still works and all the grayed out connections are gone. Looks like Windows Device Manager is seeing ghost, but they are gone for now. I don't know what the problem is, but it seems to be something in Windows 10. Here's a screenshot I took earlier showing the grayed out ports that are now gone. https://www.dropbox.com/s/d18mqks9o58xsr9/Hidden%20Sound%20Devices%20170621.png?dl=0

Here's a screenshot showing that there are no longer any ghost Sound, video and game controllers which I'm guessing is the normal situation. https://www.dropbox.com/s...7PEWQjwBkkBSkmNma?dl=0

phil5633
    Re: USB MIDI Keyboard input not working 2017/06/21 22:06:20 (permalink)
    abacab
    OK, can you launch the standalone Cakewalk Rapture Session?

Look at the top menu item "MIDI", and select your MPK49 input.  See if you can play any notes in this synth, and if the virtual keyboard on Rapture Session reflects your key presses.

abacab, thanks. See my previous post. Looks like my MPK49 input problem is solved for now. My MPK49 now works with all the standalone synths that I've installed so far including Rapture Session and with SONAR. I've got a separate problem with Rapture and Rapture Sessions that I'm going to address in a new post.

abacab
    Re: USB MIDI Keyboard input not working 2017/06/21 22:45:40 (permalink)
    Glad you got it sorted!  The mysteries of Windows 10, LOL!!!

phil5633
    Re: USB MIDI Keyboard input not working 2017/06/22 14:40:18 (permalink)
    abacab
    Glad you got it sorted!  The mysteries of Windows 10, LOL!!!

Well the ghost ports and problem is back today. In fact I don't think the ghost ports ever disappeared. I think that I forgot to select "Show hidden devices" the next time I opened Device Manager.

Today all I did to get the MPK49 working was remove and re-insert the the USB 2.0 plug from the port. I've never had to do that before.

At point I'm thinking that this is a Windows 10 problem and has nothing to do with SONAR are the synths I'm using. So I'm going to jump to the Microsoft Community for some help. However, I'm not optimistic. I looked there before I posted this problem here and noticed that most MIDI related questions received only one or two basically uninformed responses and were left unanswered.

Sir Les
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1182
    Re: USB MIDI Keyboard input not working 2017/06/22 16:21:58 (permalink)
    Hi.

Down in the device manager for usb ports...did you go into the Preferences of USB ports and deselect "Let windows turn off this Port"...?

Part of power management tweaking , is said to stop this sort of off and on...issue.

Windows waits for ports to be engaged with a Plug into usb, then it sorts the driver.

if always on..and always connected...when you turn on your device MPK49...if booted into windows, should engage the usb port...and not go off at all, if that selection is set to not allow win to turn off.

If booting up OS with MPK49 on...It should be detected...also .?

So check that...Windows might be set to turn off your usb ports, to save power, if it believes it is not in use.

Now this awareness of the OS and usb ports/devices...is not perfect...

Some devices seemingly need to be (worked around)..and some work when turned on before boot, and some might need to be turned on after boot up of the OS and all services and drivers loaded.

Perhaps something liken is with you?

Just thinking out loud.

Cheers.

1. Intel 5960x 3.5mhz , ASUS x99 deluxe u3.1, Asus Thunderbolt ex II,   G skills f4 3000 Memory 32GB , ADATA ssd 250GB Main Drive, Lots of WD Red 7200 Mechanical Drives with Black Drives, 14x multi optical Drive, LG Multi Blu Drive,  2X Extern WD Mybooks usb 3.0, AMD r7 270 video card, Motu 828x TB , Motu Midi XT.
    2.  USING MAC PRO, as win 10 has damaged 2 x99 systems 8.1 is also to blame for the final burnout trying to roll back!

3.  Something Wonderful: https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlHkRy9cXBbYpQNvVBCt8r7fQ5PS
    abacab
    Re: USB MIDI Keyboard input not working 2017/06/22 18:40:46 (permalink)
    phil5633
    I just completed a new DAW build

Based on this point, you really shouldn't be experiencing a shortage of Windows midi ports on a fresh build.

I agree with Les on this one, and the answer probably lies in Windows recognizing that the controller is active and has started the driver when you need it.

In my opinion the "Class Compliant" USB device drivers built into Windows are mostly hassle free, making any device that can use them truly plug and play. I don't know the specifics of the MPK49, but I used to have a MPK Mini that used class compliant drivers (no driver files to install, truly plug and play).

The only notes I saw from Akai on this unit is this: 

"Make sure that the MPK49 and all external devices are connected and that the USB
    cable is connected to your computer before opening any software applications on your
    computer with which you might want to use the MPK49. If the unit is not plugged in
    before, your software application might not recognize the MPK49 as an available
    device."

You would probably have better luck dealing directly with Akai support, than asking general Windows users about MIDI.  The Microsoft answers forum moderators might as well be bots, from what I have seen.  The level of expertise at TenForums https://www.tenforums.com/ is a bit better, but you are probably pushing the edge with a niche midi question.

reginaldStjohn
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 485
    Re: USB MIDI Keyboard input not working 2017/06/24 01:37:43 (permalink)
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but I am having the same problem with my Alesis Q49 USB midi controller.  It was working just days ago and now not. It shows up in device manager, it seems to be sending midi messages to windows but Cakewalk does not seem to respond to them.
    I did notice that it says the drivers were "migrated" on 6/17/2017?  Was this a Windows 10 update?

AMD Phenom II x6, 8 GB Ram, 2 Internal SATA III HD
    Windows 10
    Presonus Studio Live 16.0.2 Interface/Mixer
    Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
    Line6 Helix Guitar Processor 
    Custom Made (El Bandito) Telecaster
    LTD ESP EC-1000
    PRS El Torrero SE
    reginaldStjohn
    Re: USB MIDI Keyboard input not working 2017/06/24 01:43:59 (permalink)
    Midi OX won't even open my USB Keyboard input. It says "Out of memory"

Windows 10
    Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
    LTD ESP EC-1000
    PRS El Torrero SE
    abacab
    Re: USB MIDI Keyboard input not working 2017/06/24 01:55:00 (permalink)
    reginaldStjohn
    Midi OX won't even open my USB Keyboard input. It says "Out of memory"

If you cannot open your keyboard driver in MIDI-OX, then you most likely have Windows issues ...

http://www.alesis.com/classcompliant

What does "class compliant" mean?

A class compliant device is one that does not require an extra driver from Alesis to connect to your *Windows computer, Macintosh computer, or iOS device. A class compliant device uses drivers that are written by Microsoft or Apple, and come pre-installed on the computer.
    *Windows (98SE and up) is required for class compliant support.

reginaldStjohn
    Re: USB MIDI Keyboard input not working 2017/06/24 22:30:37 (permalink)
    I would agree with that except that if I open a synth in stand alone mode, like UVI then I can play it just fine with my keyboard.  Even in Sonar I can see the keys being pressed in the PVR but no sound comes out. I have toggled Midi Echo and that doesn't help.

Maybe I will try a different project.

Windows 10
    Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
    LTD ESP EC-1000
    PRS El Torrero SE
    abacab
    Re: USB MIDI Keyboard input not working 2017/06/24 23:49:53 (permalink)
    OK. then start your own thread, post your details, and see what suggestions you get that can help to to solve your issue.  Piggybacking on another post is confusing for all involved, and will not speed up your problem solving.  There are many differences in system configuration, devices, etc., that can sound similar to yours, but it is always best to begin from a baseline with your specific config.

nickmew
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: USB MIDI Keyboard input not working 2017/09/14 02:25:08 (permalink)
    reginaldStjohn
    I would agree with that except that if I open a synth in stand alone mode, like UVI then I can play it just fine with my keyboard.  Even in Sonar I can see the keys being pressed in the PVR but no sound comes out. I have toggled Midi Echo and that doesn't help.

Maybe I will try a different project.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this as I've been having exactly the same issue with USB midi. Keyboard works on a synth outside Sonar, not inside. Works using an old school midi din into my digital desk which then comes in over firewire
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1