Helpful ReplyUltimate TAPES and SATURATION chapter I : the Arrival !

Author
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
2017/06/24 00:46:17 (permalink)

Ultimate TAPES and SATURATION chapter I : the Arrival !

Zo does Tape...

https://www.youtube.com/a...ature%3Dem-uploademail

Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
Re: Ultimate TAPES and SATURATION chapter I : the Arrival ! 2017/06/24 00:55:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry 2017/06/24 00:59:07
Dammmm Larry you're **** FLASH !!! lol

here we go  , it begins slowly but a pure fun to record and i hope to watch !!!

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Fleer
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8715
Re: Ultimate TAPES and SATURATION chapter I : the Arrival ! 2017/06/24 04:24:01 (permalink)
You da man, Zo!

"We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl" (Wish You Were Here)
Zo
Re: Ultimate TAPES and SATURATION chapter I : the Arrival ! 2017/06/24 12:39:04 (permalink)
Fleer
You da man, Zo!

Thks Fleer ...

Of course you guyz tell me your personnal favorites ... fav according to what you heard in the video ;)

Softube Summit EQ
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: Ultimate TAPES and SATURATION chapter I : the Arrival ! 2017/07/01 22:54:53 (permalink)
Awesome accent. Aren't you that guy off First Dates?

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Ultimate TAPES and SATURATION chapter I : the Arrival ! 2017/07/02 20:58:19 (permalink)
Zo has made an incorrect assumption about Studio One optimisation.  On the video channel he says it is way less optimised than Sonar for example.  The latest update 3.5 has brought some significant improvements in this area for Studio One.  Granted, before it was not ideal but things have changed big time with this update.

CPU use has been greatly improved, core distribution etc..but overall CPU efficiency has been changed quite a lot.  Also we now have low latency monitoring modes which are quite amazing.  The input and output latencies can now be separated and set independently.  Dropout protection is also an option too preventing super large sessions from breaking up and not playing correctly.  We also have a 16 samples buffer setting too which as far as I know not many DAW's are providing.  You do need a decent interface for this setting though such as a thunderbolt interface on a Mac for example. 

I suggest you do the update Zo and spend some real quality time here with these features before making statements that it is not optimised at all.  It seems to me that you have not done this.  It has been greatly improved in this area. I can understand it because quite a few changes have been made here and now things are quite different.  It has become a little more complex in the area of setting buffers and things and using LLM, but there are some very good explanations of it on the forum.  Well worth reading.  The latest Groove 3.5 update video also explains it pretty well too.

Your video is not that great either.  Sorry, but hearing the same groove for over 90 minutes is a bit much. The choice of music for testing the tape simulators was also a very poor example.  I could have done this in 20 minutes and used a much wider variety of material in the process.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2017/07/02 23:07:33

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Zo
Re: Ultimate TAPES and SATURATION chapter I : the Arrival ! 2017/07/03 05:06:57 (permalink)
Jeff i know that since i own studio , i have notifications and all .... i m not saying studio is not optimised ...i m saying it is less than sonar , period , what i do in sonar i can never do it in studio one ... this doesn t makes studio one bad ...

For the beat choice , my goal was to make the differences obvious , that s all , the more complex is the material , the quieker people get lost ...but i hear you , thanks for your feedback , always aprreciated ...

Softube Summit EQ
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Zo
Re: Ultimate TAPES and SATURATION chapter I : the Arrival ! 2017/07/03 05:09:59 (permalink)
interpolated
Awesome accent. Aren't you that guy off First Dates?

Now i have to check , and i m afraid to lol ... any link ?

Softube Summit EQ
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Jeff Evans
Re: Ultimate TAPES and SATURATION chapter I : the Arrival ! 2017/07/03 05:57:25 (permalink)
Thanks Zo. Yes I think the material can be important. Like a few years ago I produced a real nice album of music crossing over country, folk and acoustic. Lots of acoustic instruments plus drums. Anyway I did two mixes of the tracks at the same time. One to the hard disc and the other to my Studer/Revox B77 high speed half track mastering machine. (which I still own) The difference with this music is very obvious. With other styles I have found it very hard to tell though.

For me though the jury is still out as to whether these tape emulators are actually any good. And I wonder how well they do compare to a real tape machine. Which I don't want to use because of all the hassle of getting high end tape for it and setting it all up etc.. 

At the moment I am getting really great mixes without tape emulators present. Better than anything I did in the past as well so I am not rushing out to get them. Studio One has incorporated Softube TAPE into its Mix FX which is cool I guess.  I don't mind the CTC-1 console emulator though. Also another nice saturation plugin is SDRR by Klanghelm. I can get some nice sounds out of that too. 

You have got me thinking about tape emulators again I suppose.  For me the best choice would be TAPE. They are saying it is very good.  They have fixed the 64 bit issue now in Studio One as well. In Studio One it factors in all the crosstalk between tracks too which is interesting.

You might be surprised how well Studio One handles a big session now too. It is only getting better and better. The Dropout protection is also pretty cool too.  But as they say the best DAW for you is the one you know!

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Zo
Re: Ultimate TAPES and SATURATION chapter I : the Arrival ! 2017/07/03 22:11:26 (permalink)
Jeff , did younrecord the final master on that tape or multitrack , his made a whole diff ...and yep difference are not subtile ....what i was more into was the difference between tape more than wet / dry witch is obvious each time ...this allows me to tell peopléto focus on a specific thing and then to switch model ...

I posted exemple on a more complex thing at gs bu still one bar loop ...

Yep studio is one of the best daw and surely one of the most responsive dev team ...for my students , i say for producer you can t go wrong with sonar , cubase and sonar ...those are solid choice ...if i had to choose one to replace sonar , you already saw it in the video ...;)

If you want to stack'tape in all track , tapedesk is hard to beat cpu wise , it aliases at hig distortion but i use the sonar oversampling witch leads it then to the quality expected ...

I don t use tape that much either , only for specific duties , or on final sub mixes ...that s why color , compression , qualitybis indeed important ...

I bought tape , but it was just because the demo was off ...if i had to l i wouldn t ...for me one of the bestbnew release and all'arounder is tapedesk ...
Magnetite works wonder on acoustic stuff also ...

Gonna update studio one , is it stable or did they introduced bugs with the update ?

Softube Summit EQ
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Jeff Evans
Re: Ultimate TAPES and SATURATION chapter I : the Arrival ! 2017/07/03 23:06:37 (permalink)
The acoustic/country album I produced was tracked on black faced ADAT's.  So digital.  Some say those models had a nice sound and I guess that is possible.  Transferred to Logic and mixed.  Now I cannot quite remember this but I am thinking I mixed it on an analog console though.  Bringing all the outputs from the interface into mixing console.  So a bit of console mojo going on there.  Mix was done to hard disc and to the reel to reel stereo mastering machine at the same time.  The album is on CD of course but I used the reel to reel masters as the source because they just sound so great!  I think the reel to reel machine just suited this music so well.

Tapedesk looks good except I have got console emulation sorted in Studio One.  Both their own Console shaper plus the new CTC-1. I f I were to go down that route I would only be after the tape part of it.  That is why TAPE looks good to me for Studio One.  It is also very well integrated into Studio One.  I also agree with you in that I am not a fan of putting whole mixes through these things either.  Mainly Sub buses.  Just some stuff but not all.  I do like some things going direct to the mix digitally for sure.

Studio One has had a further update to 3.5.  We are now on 3.5.1 which has fixed a raft of things.  For me it is stable and always has been.  We have detected a few little things in 3.5.1 but nothing major.  We think the ADSR generators in Presence XT have been effected for some reason.  But they usually jump on these things quick though.  I am in the middle of testing that though.  Often people have issues that I just don't so it may not be Studio One's fault either.

Zo
Re: Ultimate TAPES and SATURATION chapter I : the Arrival ! 2017/07/03 23:31:02 (permalink)
Thks alot for your feedback ...

Softube Summit EQ
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

interpolated
Re: Ultimate TAPES and SATURATION chapter I : the Arrival ! 2017/07/04 00:09:17 (permalink)
I made a reversion of a little known Liverpool band recently using Abbey Road J37 on the master bus and on a track effects bus in tape delay mode. It worked pretty good. Bear in mind, my only experience with tape is using an older 4-track cassette with reverse playback.

I have computer stuff.

Zo
Re: Ultimate TAPES and SATURATION chapter I : the Arrival ! 2017/07/05 00:14:21 (permalink)
Ahah ...the most incredible thing for me is beign able  to change and try tapes within a second ...and not having to set up a whole rec session  !!! priceless !!

With all those great era things , still people making crappy music ....

Softube Summit EQ
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

interpolated
Re: Ultimate TAPES and SATURATION chapter I : the Arrival ! 2017/07/05 00:21:09 (permalink)
Kramer master tape? worth getting?

I have computer stuff.

Zo
Re: Ultimate TAPES and SATURATION chapter I : the Arrival ! 2017/07/05 00:25:39 (permalink)
If you have the J37 i would say nope ...it's really a great one but just don't take cause it's cheap /..

It's super easy to set up and the delay is exellent ..but this can be done in J37 , test it ...if you can ...

Softube Summit EQ
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

interpolated
Re: Ultimate TAPES and SATURATION chapter I : the Arrival ! 2017/07/05 00:34:01 (permalink)
Ok. In my heart I really want an uad apollo twin and some of those newer moog, emt and console emulations. How3her I will stick to this sort of thing until I can get a newer motherboard and pc setup.

I have computer stuff.

interpolated
Re: Ultimate TAPES and SATURATION chapter I : the Arrival ! 2017/07/05 09:48:24 (permalink)
For some reason your previous reply about DSP vs. Native is not here. Anyway the reason I want DSP as well as I native is so I can balance my load. Whether the plug-in is native or not, I suppose it's the nature of the beast. Universal Audio have always sounded good to me along with TC Electronics Reverbs which came with a DSP card I used to use.

For the life of me I have two missions in life when it comes to computer music production, avoid Apple Mac and Protools - the forefathers of lockdown.

I have computer stuff.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1