Helpful ReplyDark side of the moon

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Dark side of the moon 2017/06/30 18:11:19 (permalink)
craigb
Pedro's back!

Hooray.

I'll blow up some balloons.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Dark side of the moon 2017/06/30 19:06:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2017/07/04 07:13:37
Speaking of rediscovering old (1882!) stuff, my most recent purchase was a recording of the 1812 Overture. No, the recording's not from 1882 - I wouldn't have the gear to play it - but it still qualifies as a Golden Oldie.

Talk about over-listening to a piece; this was the first record I ever wore out, when I was 11 years old. What I didn't realize back then was that I'd been listening to what at the time was regarded as the definitive recording of this piece. All I knew was that I liked it.

I have since bought at least four different versions of 1812. All were disappointing. Most were played too fast. Apparently, that's been a trend over the last few decades, speeding up classical pieces to fit our short attention spans. The Overture is supposed to have tempo changes, perhaps an antiquated concept in the age of quantization.

So I was delighted to find this version, which not only pulls the notes out at a more leisurely pace, but is actually an alternate spin on the old classic, adding a choir that wasn't in the original score. It was recorded by Decca, which in my experience means crystal clarity and a wide but natural-sounding panorama. There's a reason they call that microphone configuration a "Decca Tree". The brass is bright without being harsh, and the strings are as lush as any Hollywood production. And yes, it has real cannons and carillon.

Give it a listen...it's very dynamic so the volume's a little low in places - just crank it up!

As is my custom, I ordered the CD (for a paltry $6.78) and ripped it to FLACs for late-night headphone listening. The Overture is short, so the disk also includes three other Tchaikovsky pieces that are also pretty well done. One of them I'd never heard before, so double bonus.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Dark side of the moon 2017/06/30 19:34:44 (permalink)
chuckebaby
I made the mistake of downloading Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon.
It's like a drug, I cant stop listening to it. I have always appreciated Pink Floyd but never really got in to any of their albums or anything. However the Dark side of the moon is absolutely a master piece. A Gem.

Its hypnotic, dark and creative as far as songwriting goes.
Sonically it is even more impressive. Im just blown away by David Gilmour's guitar sound. The way he gets that dirty sound but yet the tone is amazingly clean. And all this done way before the days of digital recording.
I always questioned Allan Parsons claim to fame. But now I know why. this is brilliant.

i've been listening to this album,
on a regular basis, since the first week of march 1973.

my buddie's older brother bought it, and would let us listen to it in the big living room with the really nice stereo.

a big plus-
he had a set of those KOSS Pro 4a over the ears headphones with the liquid filled ear pads...... whoa.
he had a long curly cord, so you could sit anywhere you wanted in the room and listen in the cans.

for me, the whole band was a genius on this album...
but what makes it special for me, is Richard Wright.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Dark side of the moon 2017/06/30 19:50:56 (permalink)
Richard Wright's playing on Endless River is beautiful. Some of his best work to date. Same with Gilmour too. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Dark side of the moon 2017/06/30 21:42:01 (permalink)
My first exposure to PF was an 8-Track of Piper At The Gates Of Dawn which was Sid Barrett at full tilt. I found some parts interesting but mostly a bunch of noise. DSOTM was the one that made me a believer. Wish You Were Here is still unbeatable for lyrics, music and production - IMHO. The Wall is also great. I like most all of the PF albums just some more than others.

I challenge anybody to not be moved by The Great Gig In The Sky. Gal has got an incredible set of pipes!

I too wish I could hear it again for the first time.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Dark side of the moon 2017/06/30 21:49:48 (permalink)
craigb
Unless the option doesn't exists (like the latest Mostly Autumn special double album), I'm all digital now.  However, I always buy the full album and, frequently, different versions if there's a reissue with double the songs for example.

I find that sometimes I like one of the "songs no one has heard of" better than the so-called "hits."
I seldom buy individual tracks, I will always go for the full album. But I prefer to have the physical media, but I will buy downloads from Bandcamp if I can get FLAC or WAV.

I play music from the last few years more than the "classics" these days, bands like Panic Room, Big Big Train, Mostly Autumn, Karnataka, Magenta and the recent output from Marillion getting the most plays.

I have enjoyed Steven Wilson's remixes of some of my favourite 70s Prog albums and I always have time for Floyd, DSOM was one of the greatest but I think they peaked with Wish You Where Here. I also enjoy Pulse alot.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: Dark side of the moon 2017/07/01 21:02:30 (permalink)
patm300e
I have the SACD Dark side of the Moon.  It is great just to lie down in the middle of my room and let it consume me sonically from all sides!  What a ride!

Absolutely (assuming you *are* talking about listening to the surround mix).  This is without any doubt the most spectacular surround recording I have ever heard.  Tastefully done yet full of delightful surround surprises.

However, do not waste your hard earned cash on the surround mix of Wish You Were Here.  That one, I am convinced, was made from a 2-channel master and the surround effects are lame, limited and highly disappointing.  Given I shelled out something like 35 bucks because I wanted another Pink Floyd surround SACD, I'm not at all a happy camper.
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Dark side of the moon 2017/07/02 20:15:01 (permalink)
Rain
bitflipper

I love discovering bands that I'd never bothered listening to before...a few years ago I watched a documentary about Rush that prompted me to buy some of their albums. Now I am a fan. Especially the older stuff, before they discovered that the threshold knob on a limiter can be set to -60 dB. 

I only really discovered Rush 2 or 3 years ago - I'd always disliked them before that. 

I'd always wondered why Voivod, one of my favorite metal bands, wanted to work with producer Terry Brown so badly. Listening to Moving Pictures on the studio monitors helped me understand... All those albums recorded at Morin Heights w/ Brown and engineer Paul Northfield are impeccable.

Too bad that when Voivod finally managed to work with Brown they recorded their worst album...

Nowadays, I don't listen to pop music that much but I'm slowly learning to appreciate Genesis. I think it's great that I have yet to discover albums such as The Lamb Lies Down and Selling England. I feel lucky - ample supplies of awesome music to discover for the rest of my days, no matter what's being released these days.

IMHO, Selling England was probably their masterpiece.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Dark side of the moon 2017/07/02 20:27:35 (permalink)
Bristol_Jonesey

IMHO, Selling England was probably their masterpiece.

Definitely my favourite of the PG era, and being a gardener, also my favourite rock album sleeve

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: Dark side of the moon 2017/07/03 00:17:52 (permalink)
For me, Dark Side is the epitome of Pink Floyd's career.  Certainly they had other great, even brilliant tunes, but as a complete album, nothing comes close to DSOTM.... and I'd be hard pressed to name another band who has an album that approaches DSOTM in it's brilliance and creativity and superb writing and recording. 

Perhaps the Who, with Tommy & Quadrophenia, but that's apples to oranges. Or ELO's Out of the Blue.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
tlw
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Dark side of the moon 2017/07/03 04:15:44 (permalink)
Quadrophenia is a stunningly good piece of work. That, along with a few of the early singles when the Who were new and had everything to prove, is the Who at their performance best and Townshend's writing at its best.

Tommy I can live without. I liked it in my teens, but over time it lost it's appeal for me. Though if I must listen to it I'd go for the original Who-only recording rather than the film version every time.

From the same time as Dark Side, there's Hawkwind's live Space Ritual. Not as classily or beautifully recorded but for me it pushes boundaries and ideas far more than Dark Side, still sounds fresh and is yer actual (space) rock music as well. And a set only ever performed on the original tour, which I was far too young to see, and one other time 40 years on when Dave Brock agreed to do it with the then current Hawkwind lineup as a one-off fund-raising performance for animal charities in 2014, which I was lucky enough to see.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Dark side of the moon 2017/07/03 04:27:03 (permalink)
(Uh oh!  Hawkwind's Space Ritual was mentioned!  Cue Pedro!  LOL!  )

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: Dark side of the moon 2017/07/03 13:36:41 (permalink)
batsbrew
for me, the whole band was a genius on this album...
but what makes it special for me, is Richard Wright.

+1 Gig in the Sky!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: Dark side of the moon 2017/07/03 13:38:54 (permalink)
dmbaer
Absolutely (assuming you *are* talking about listening to the surround mix).  This is without any doubt the most spectacular surround recording I have ever heard.  Tastefully done yet full of delightful surround surprises.

However, do not waste your hard earned cash on the surround mix of Wish You Were Here.  That one, I am convinced, was made from a 2-channel master and the surround effects are lame, limited and highly disappointing.  Given I shelled out something like 35 bucks because I wanted another Pink Floyd surround SACD, I'm not at all a happy camper.

Yes, the surround mix!  It is mesmerizing.  Try it with all the lights out and without any distractions!
That is the only SACD I have so I can't compare it to any others.  Any other recommendations?

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
dmbaer
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: Dark side of the moon 2017/07/03 21:44:55 (permalink)
patm300e
Yes, the surround mix!  It is mesmerizing.  Try it with all the lights out and without any distractions!
That is the only SACD I have so I can't compare it to any others.  Any other recommendations?

Any of the earlier Genesis surround mixes is extremely well done (I'm talking about earliest ablbums through Wind and Wuthering, but maybe albums after that also have merit).  Most highly recommended.  Some of mine are SACD and some are DVD-Audio, but either format sounds spectacular and the utilization of the surround format is both tasteful and exciting.

Believe it or not, Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is a masterful example of remixing for surround.

The Who's Tommy surround remix is pretty spectacular - I'd rather have a surround mix of Quadrophenia, but them's the breaks.

I would love to hear the surround remixes of early Jethro Tull albums (done by Steven Wilson), but they are only available in over-priced deluxe editions (2 CDs and 2 DVDs).  If I could get just the one SACD or DVD, I'd jump on it.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Dark side of the moon 2017/07/03 23:09:00 (permalink)
Anyone heard the Steven Wilson remix of In the Court of the Crimson King?

It's a 2-disc set that includes alternate versions and 5.1 mixes, even a karaoke mix. There have been a couple remasters previously, but this is the first time it's been remixed from the original 8-track tapes. I'm tempted, even though I don't have the means to play back surround.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: Dark side of the moon 2017/07/04 13:41:12 (permalink)
Listening to DSOTM right now, having breakfast and starting to work.  Beautiful album...

BD 770s, over-ear cups, curly cord...  all i need is a smoke* and I'm THERE!

*no smoke for me anymore, I'll have to settle for a 2nd coffee

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Dark side of the moon 2017/07/04 15:16:09 (permalink)
bitflipper
Anyone heard the Steven Wilson remix of In the Court of the Crimson King?

It's a 2-disc set that includes alternate versions and 5.1 mixes, even a karaoke mix. There have been a couple remasters previously, but this is the first time it's been remixed from the original 8-track tapes. I'm tempted, even though I don't have the means to play back surround.

Got it. IMHO its worth it for the stereo mixes on the CD alone which are considerably better than the remastered CD I have.

I don't have a full 5.1 system but I can play the DVD via the sound bar I have with the TV. On this system I am not hearing a great deal of difference and of course I cannot comment on the effectivness of the surround mix.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1