Author
Blacksymphony
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
2017/06/13 02:47:39 (permalink)

Midi output port issue

For example  I have 3 sound module:1,2 and 3

I assigned Every midi track output to module 2

Then open preference --midi device, uncheck the sound module 1,Every midi track output will be reassigned to module 3.

dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Midi output port issue 2017/06/18 15:06:19 (permalink)
+2 (2)
I had a somewhat similar issue when one of my midi devices lost power and Sonar reassigned all of the midi tracks to whatever was left. I'd like this to be something we can either avoid by having Sonar ask "One of your devices is missing. Would you like to reassign midi ports?" or turn off completely. Especially in the middle of a session.

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Midi output port issue 2017/06/25 02:53:59 (permalink)
Sonar/windows seems to save the midi port order/number rather than refencing a specific device. If you remove devices or change the order, as long as there are still enough ports, Sonar has no way of knowing anything has changed. In this case you will need to reassign the correct port outputs manually.

If you remove devices and there are not as many midi ports as the saved project, Sonar will alert you via a dialogue box upon opening the project and you are given the opportunity to reassign the outputs.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
dcumpian
Re: Midi output port issue 2017/06/25 11:38:19 (permalink)
tenfoot
Sonar/windows seems to save the midi port order/number rather than refencing a specific device. If you remove devices or change the order, as long as there are still enough ports, Sonar has no way of knowing anything has changed. In this case you will need to reassign the correct port outputs manually.

If you remove devices and there are not as many midi ports as the saved project, Sonar will alert you via a dialogue box upon opening the project and you are given the opportunity to reassign the outputs.

In this case, Sonar didn't alert me. It simply reassigned all of the midi track outputs to a different input. When would it make any sense to reroute midi tracks connected to VST instruments to a different VST? En masse?

Regards,
Dan

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
tenfoot
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2186
Re: Midi output port issue 2017/06/25 15:26:22 (permalink)
dcumpian
tenfoot

In this case, Sonar didn't alert me. It simply reassigned all of the midi track outputs to a different input. When would it make any sense to reroute midi tracks connected to VST instruments to a different VST? En masse?

Regards,
Dan

Agreed that Sonar should never re-assign VST outputs Dan, provided you have not removed the VST synth. I haven't ever had that issue. I was referring to external midi ports. I presume that is what the OP was talking about as they disable them under preferences/midi devices.

Bruce.

Sonar Platinum 2017-09, Studio One 3.5.3, Win 10 x64, Quad core i7, RME Fireface, Behringer X32 Producer, Behringer X32 Rack, Presonus Faderport, Lemure Software Controller (Android), Enttec DMXIS VST lighting controller, Xtempo POK.
dcumpian
Re: Midi output port issue 2017/06/25 16:03:42 (permalink)
tenfoot
dcumpian
tenfoot

Regards,
Dan

Agreed that Sonar should never re-assign VST outputs Dan, provided you have not removed the VST synth. I haven't ever had that issue. I was referring to external midi ports. I presume that is what the OP was talking about as they disable them under preferences/midi devices.

Yes, the reason my issue is related is that my hardware midi controller lost power and Sonar dropped it. That's when the reassignment occurred, with no warning. When I closed and reopened the project (without saving), then I got the warning about the missing midi device and rebooted instead.

Regards,
Dan

My music:
taccess
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 534
Re: Midi output port issue 2017/06/27 08:18:39 (permalink)
Hey Dan
I had the same problem today all of my midi tracks outputs for VSTs were automatically changed by platinum . They all were moved 1 output down from there primary output .

This is unexceptable and an option to stop this needs to be in place .This happens when removing or adding virtual midi devices through preferences although I am not sure exactly of the trigger and haven't spent time on working out exactly what causes this .

Why on this earth removing or adding midi devices in edit preferences then has global power to change midi vst track outputs to another synth is a total Buzz Kill !

i will try replicate steps and be back short;y

z800 Dual x5690
NvME 256gb 950Pro / Win10
LSI  MegaRaid
Nvidia 450 GTS
96GB 1366MHZ
RME Babyface
taccess
Re: Midi output port issue 2017/06/27 09:25:50 (permalink)
Replicate :

1) platinum new project
2) Edit>Prefernces>Midi>Devices , make sure all midi devices are UNCHECKED
3) add 2 x instance of true piano ( midi + primary)
3) Note: 1st True piano midi track output name = ( 1-TruePianos Cakewalk1) / output dropdown = 1st midi output
4) Note: 2nd True Piano midi track output name = ( 2-TruePianos Cakewalk2) / output dropdown = 2nd midi output
5) Now go into : Edit>Prefernces>Midi>Devices>Outputs > CHECK / add 1 virtual midi device (loopbe 1) > click apply
6) Go to 1st True Piano midi track and click on the output / drop down menu

RESULTS ARE ;

A) loopbe 1 is now the first midi output in the output drop down menu pushing 1st and 2nd true piano primary's outputs to number 2 and 3 .
B) 1st true piano midi output retains its position in the output dropdown list (1st) subsequently now outputting to loop be 1.
C) 2nd True Piano midi output retains its position in the output dopdown list ( 2nd) subsequently now outputting to True Piano 1.

There is however a very BRIGHT LIGHT ! WORKAROUND

You can open Edit>Preferences>Midi>Devices > (Output or Input ) and CHECK OR UNCHECK midi devics as you please which will retain all midi track Synth outputs to there respective Primary Outputs .
BUT ONLY if you :
A) CHECK OR UNCHECK BEFORE You open a project
B) CHECK OR UNCHECK AFTER You close a project (same thing as A
C) DO NOT CHECK OR UNCHECK MIDI DEVICES WHILE YOU HAVE A PROJECT OPENED .

GRASSYASSS AMIGOS

z800 Dual x5690
LSI  MegaRaid
Nvidia 450 GTS
96GB 1366MHZ
RME Babyface
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Midi output port issue 2017/06/27 13:54:49 (permalink)
tenfoot

I had the same happen last night when I activated a new MIDI device which entered the MIDI device list somewhere in the middle, so after reopening the project all MIDI port assignments were screwed up.

Sonar displays a MIDI device name, hence it does know what device is connected in each track. It's a simple matter of coding to fix this, the information is all there.

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
taccess
Re: Midi output port issue 2017/06/28 01:21:15 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tenfoot 2017/06/28 08:14:33
Rob[atSound-Rehab]
tenfoot

I had the same happen last night when I activated a new MIDI device which entered the MIDI device list somewhere in the middle, so after reopening the project all MIDI port assignments were screwed up.

Sonar displays a MIDI device name, hence it does know what device is connected in each track. It's a simple matter of coding to fix this, the information is all there.

Hey Rob

Just remember " Make sure NO Project is open when you add or remove midi devices from Edit/Preferences/Midi/Devices/Outputs " and you wont have this problem .

This morning i started up platinum and i opened my 100 track project i then made sure all the midi tracks were still going to there primary output's , I  then took a windows screen shot of the output drop down list ( for visual reference ).
I then closed the project , and proceeded  to the Edit>Preferences>Midi>Devices>Outputs, there  I                        ( CHecked/ENabled)  3 virtual midi outputs , ( i have  30 + to choose from ) so i ticked top + Middle + Bottom at random , after this i clicked apply and close .
From here i then i reopened my 100 track project and even though these 3 new virtual midi outputs took 1,2,3 midi output positions in the output drop down menu it still kept All my previous track outputs correctly going to there respective primary's.

So just remember ALWAYS close any projects before adding or removing Midi Device's Output's From Preferences .

Good Day!

z800 Dual x5690
LSI  MegaRaid
Nvidia 450 GTS
96GB 1366MHZ
RME Babyface
Rob[at]Sound-Rehab
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2819
Re: Midi output port issue 2017/06/28 05:37:12 (permalink)
taccess

So just remember ALWAYS close any projects before adding or removing Midi Device's Output's From Preferences .

Thanks. That makes sense and explains why this problem hasn't hit me in the studio, but recently on the mobile rig when in a rush I hooked up an external synth via USB due a shortage of available MIDI cables ...

GOOD TUNES LAST FOREVER
  +++   Visit the Rehab   +++

DAW: Platinum/X3e, win10 64 bit, i7-3930K (6x3.2GHz), Asus Sabertooth X79, 32 GB DDR3 1600MHz, ATI HD 5450, 120 GB SSD OCZ Agility3, 2x 1TB WD HDD SATA 600
Audio-Interface: 2x MOTU 1248 AVB, Focusrite OctoPre, (Roland Octa-Capture)   Control-Surface: VS-700C 
VSTi: WAVES, NI K10u, FabFilter, IK, ... (too many really) 
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1