"Of An Age" (Acoustic Guitar Rock featuring AmpleSound guitars)

Author
Leee
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
2017/07/06 12:43:29 (permalink)

"Of An Age" (Acoustic Guitar Rock featuring AmpleSound guitars)

My usual go-to virtual guitars are MusicLab's Real Guitar series.  But I also have dozens of other acoustic and electric virtual guitars that I use to give variety to my songs.  Among my favorites are AmpleSound guitars. They have quite a diverse selection of acoustic and electric guitars and basses.  Their sampling and playability is at least equal to or better than MusicLab's.   And if you own any AmpleSound guitars, you probably know they recently added a new feature called "Riffer", which is superior to the strummer option in many ways.

So I built this song around the new Riffer feature and used two different acoustic guitars from AmpleSound, plus a third electric guitar (played freehand).   I wrote this song "Of An Age" about getting older and trying to make the best of it, trying to have fun despite all the aches and pains.   And I'll add my usual disclaimer:  I'm not a singer....although I've often been compared to Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Tom Petty, and other such "nasally singers".   
Hope you enjoy it!  And comments and feedback are always welcome.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13595578

Lee Shapiro
www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.

16 Replies Related Threads

philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re: "Of An Age" (Acoustic Guitar Rock featuring AmpleSound guitars) 2017/07/06 14:53:58 (permalink)
    Nice tune Lee, and your singing is pretty decent.  I feel your message too, having a tune on here about aging myself.  I also have Amplesound's P bass and was thinking of trying one of their guitars out... sounded good on your track.  Right now my go to has been AAS's Strum Acoustic.
    eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: "Of An Age" (Acoustic Guitar Rock featuring AmpleSound guitars) 2017/07/06 16:16:25 (permalink)
    This is good LEE.  Your voice is just jaded enough to give the song gravitas.  :D  (I don't mean that as an insult ,.  We're all a little jaded by the time we get to 50.)  I like the melody and the chords.  It all works really well.  

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

FreeEarCandy
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 181
    Re: "Of An Age" (Acoustic Guitar Rock featuring AmpleSound guitars) 2017/07/06 20:00:53 (permalink)
    Great song Lee. Your voice is fine-really. I dig the vibe of this all the way through. You have a lot of talent. Keep it going cause I'm sure you'll never reach the bottom of the well.

Dean

!!!))) @(~..~)@ (((!!!
    ***FreeEarCandy***
    Leee
    Re: "Of An Age" (Acoustic Guitar Rock featuring AmpleSound guitars) 2017/07/07 00:23:51 (permalink)
    Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate them.
    I was pretty sure someone would say it's too repetitious (which I think it is, a little bit) and was thinking about reworking it to have one less chorus, and a proper bridge, to break up the repetition. 

But anyway, thanks for listening and for the feedback!  And thanks to Melodyne, without it, my vocals would really be unbearable.  Which is why I always jump to Auto-Tune's defense whenever non-musicians, (who don't understand the correct usage of pitch correction software) say that it's one of the main causes of modern music's downfall.

Lee Shapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
    Charlie H
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re: "Of An Age" (Acoustic Guitar Rock featuring AmpleSound guitars) 2017/07/07 13:39:19 (permalink)
    "I was pretty sure someone would say it's too repetitious (which I think it is, a little bit) and was thinking about reworking it to have one less chorus, and a proper bridge, to break up the repetition."

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Good job though. You're already ahead of Kid Rock. (Now that's repetitious!)
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re: "Of An Age" (Acoustic Guitar Rock featuring AmpleSound guitars) 2017/07/07 18:28:25 (permalink)
    The virtual guitars are very well done, they certainly do not jump out at me like they were "faked." The electric lead is very effective.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Leee
    Re: "Of An Age" (Acoustic Guitar Rock featuring AmpleSound guitars) 2017/07/08 01:40:11 (permalink)
    Glyn Barnes
    The virtual guitars are very well done, they certainly do not jump out at me like they were "faked." .....

Thanks Glyn, half the credit goes to AmpleSound for making such great VSTi guitar software, and the other half goes to my excellent mixing skills. LOL!

Lee Shapiro

lylemusic
    • Total Posts : 48
    Re: "Of An Age" (Acoustic Guitar Rock featuring AmpleSound guitars) 2017/07/08 15:05:38 (permalink)
    I think the song works perfectly. As a RealGuitar person who's singing has been likened to an alley cat with laryngitis I think you have done a great job on the music and vocals. The guitars sound realistic and I know how difficult that is to achieve. And I love the lyrics. My only very small comments would be to perhaps be more aggressive with the bass line and let the drums shine through a bit more. But overall a great song.
    dwardzala
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1470
    Re: "Of An Age" (Acoustic Guitar Rock featuring AmpleSound guitars) 2017/07/08 20:57:38 (permalink)
    Leee, great song and recording.  I think your vocals are just fine and fit the song well.  You could be compared to worse.  I am impressed that the guitars are not real, but sampled.  They were well done.

Dave
    Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
    MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
    Win10 x64 Home
    Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
    M-Box Mini v. 2
    Win 10 x64 Home
    Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
    https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

Leee
    Re: "Of An Age" (Acoustic Guitar Rock featuring AmpleSound guitars) 2017/07/09 04:56:28 (permalink)
    dwardzala
    Leee, great song and recording.  I think your vocals are just fine and fit the song well.  You could be compared to worse.  I am impressed that the guitars are not real, but sampled.  They were well done.

Thanks, I appreciate it.  I love it when former band members of mine (I play keys, and can barely play an actual guitar) send me a message asking, "When did you learn to play the guitar?"  I surprise them and reply "I never did"
    I've always wanted to play guitar (I can play some leads but not many chords) and when the first sampled guitars (VSTi's) came out, including Real Guitars, I was astounded how playing notes on a MIDI keyboard sounded so much like the real thing.

lylemusic
    My only very small comments would be to perhaps be more aggressive with the bass line and let the drums shine through a bit more. But overall a great song.

I usually tend to bring the drums and bass up in the mix, I love the sound of a perfectly blended bass line with a kick drum and snare, and I've gotten comments in the past saying that the drums and bass were too loud, so I probably held back on those in the mix a bit more than I should have.   I'm going to try and do another remix and bring the drums up a little in the mix.  But in this song, I also like the way the bass guitar blends in with the acoustic guitars.
    So bringing the kick and bass up too much might make the acoustic guitars sound muddy.    It's a tough balancing act.
    I guess that's why top engineers and producers get paid the big bucks!

Lee Shapiro

Leee
    Re: "Of An Age" (Acoustic Guitar Rock featuring AmpleSound guitars) 2017/07/09 09:07:36 (permalink)
    lylemusic
    .....My only very small comments would be to perhaps be more aggressive with the bass line and let the drums shine through a bit more. But overall a great song.

Lyle, this update is for you.   I added a completely new bass line, and used a new virtual bass (an Ample Sound Fender Bass), I also remixed the drums so they stand out a little more in the mix.   I hope you like the changes.

Lee Shapiro

lylemusic
    • Total Posts : 48
    Re: "Of An Age" (Acoustic Guitar Rock featuring AmpleSound guitars) 2017/07/12 19:37:53 (permalink)
    LeeeLyle, this update is for you.   I added a completely new bass line, and used a new virtual bass (an Ample Sound Fender Bass), I also remixed the drums so they stand out a little more in the mix.   I hope you like the changes.

Excellent. The changes add just that extra touch of drive, depth and sparkle. Love it.
    bjornpdx
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re: "Of An Age" (Acoustic Guitar Rock featuring AmpleSound guitars) 2017/07/12 23:15:04 (permalink)
    Lee
    I like the song. Your voice has a distinct identity and it sounds good. I thought the bass line worked well and the solo gtr around 3:00 was great.  The drums (snare?) seemed a little bit off in spots but that's probably just me wanting it to sound different.

Always nice to hear from someone who has similar techniques and subject matter.
    My vocals are passable thanks to Melodyne, I can play melody lines on the guitar but that's about it and I use Real Guitar pretty often.

Bjorn
    soundcloud.com/orygun
    www.bjornfredrickson.com
    https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
    Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
    Leee
    Re: "Of An Age" (Acoustic Guitar Rock featuring AmpleSound guitars) 2017/07/13 05:26:01 (permalink)
    bjornpdx
    Lee
    I like the song. Your voice has a distinct identity and it sounds good. I thought the bass line worked well and the solo gtr around 3:00 was great.  The drums (snare?) seemed a little bit off in spots but that's probably just me wanting it to sound different.

Always nice to hear from someone who has similar techniques and subject matter.
    My vocals are passable thanks to Melodyne, I can play melody lines on the guitar but that's about it and I use Real Guitar pretty often.

Thanks Bjorn.  The lead guitar part was created using MusicLab's Real LPC with TH3 efx, along with a liberal usage of the Pitch/Bend controller.   As much as I like all the other virtual guitars I own, I always fall back on the MusicLab's Real Guitar series for both rhythm and lead parts.  While other virtual guitars have a much bigger variety of sounds and styles, the playability of Real Guitars are most consistent. especially when it comes to chord creation and the ability to strum with your left hand (two fingers) while playing the chords with your right hand.  Many virtual guitars have it the other way around which doesn't work for me, because it's much easier for me to play chords on a MIDI keyboard with my right hand.

Lee Shapiro

cwestmont
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 379
    Re: "Of An Age" (Acoustic Guitar Rock featuring AmpleSound guitars) 2017/07/13 14:28:43 (permalink)
    Lee, this is solid on multiple levels.  First, it is a nicely written song, very anthemic (is that a word?)  Second, the guitars sound perfect -- wouldn't have guessed synth-based if you didn't say it.  I have sometimes noodled about writing acoustic guitar-based songs and I'll file the AmpleSound name away.

My music:
    Hummingbird Cinema (vocal tracks, covers and remixes)
    Mosaic Manifesto  (remixes and instrumentals)
    "If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?"- Shantideva

One can acquire everything in solitude - except character. -- Marie Henri Beyle

Windows 7
    Intel Core i7-4770 3.4 GHz
    8 GigaBytes DRAM
    Sonar X3
    Roland QuadCapture
    Leee
    Re: "Of An Age" (Acoustic Guitar Rock featuring AmpleSound guitars) 2017/07/13 23:05:08 (permalink)
    cwestmont
    Lee, this is solid on multiple levels.  First, it is a nicely written song, very anthemic (is that a word?)  Second, the guitars sound perfect -- wouldn't have guessed synth-based if you didn't say it.  I have sometimes noodled about writing acoustic guitar-based songs and I'll file the AmpleSound name away.

Thanks, virtual instruments just keep getting better and more authentic sounding.

The only gripe I have about the new Riffer feature in AmpleSound guitars, is even though it gives you about 100 different "riffs", (some of them bundled together into a 4 or 5 riff song set), there are probably only 2 or 3 sets of riffs that would go well with the kind of music YOU like to write.  So once you use those 2 or 3 sets of riffs in a song, then you're done with it.  Waiting and hoping that more will be released soon. 

It's the same with drum patterns in drum software, they give you hundreds of patterns, you end up finding a dozen or so you like.   Fortunately there are endless MIDI drum patterns available all over the Internet that you can use in practically any virtual drum plugin.  Riffers....not so much.

Lee Shapiro

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1