Midi routing options

Author
joyof60
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 283
2017/07/07 10:15:22 (permalink)

Midi routing options

I'm playing a RD 300NX DP, I would like to play XLN ADK voices, as well as DIM Pro voices live with some method of switching between them. I am fairly MIDI illiterate, I can get voices from the softsynths to play but I need help in configuring this to be able to switch between voices 'on the fly'. I'm not sure if this can be done through midi channel organization or what or how. Ideally I would like to control the voice switching from the piano. Is this possible. And if so can someone show me how. I have SPLAT, and connect the RD300NX to the laptop via midi USB interface cable, and run sound from the laptops headphone jack to a channel on the PA main mixer.

Joyof60

Sonar Plat., Windows 10 Pro  (64bit), Custom Build,  AMD Rizen 5 @3.95GHz, Assorted HDDs, 32 Gb G.Skill RAM. Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Roland FA08, coupla guitars and misc. mics, cans,  and gadgetry.

2 Replies Related Threads

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Midi routing options 2017/07/07 13:07:08 (permalink)
    NOTE: in RD 300NX part my proposals are pure theoretical from the manual, I do not have the device.

In general, there are 2 methods to do this:
    1. (better in general and simpler on Sonar side) Convince DP to send notes to different MIDI channels when you want switch instruments. For RD that means: creating 2 Live Sets (one per each virtual instrument). Switch to "remote" mode (MIDI button), configure one (!) layer in each and set this layer to distinct MIDI channel (by default the first layer is sent to "1", so you just need to switch the second Live Set layer 1 to send on "2"). Cleanup Bank/program changes there (-- -- --) to avoid confusing soft synth.

On Sonar side for both MIDI tracks set inputs to corresponding RD output / particular MIDI channel. And enable "Echo" for both.

Then you just have to switch between live sets when you want to change the instrument. If you do not need the whole keyboard, probably you can split it between two Live Sets (the same way as for internal sounds).

From the manual, it is unclear how good/fast/convenient Live Set switching works. So I mention the second method:
    2. (in case the first method is not an option) Set sonar to "auto echo", so you need to focus corresponding track to play particular instrument. You can try focusing with mouse or computer keyboard (up/down in the track view).
    For that to working from RD, you will need something sending MIDI messages. F.e. you can sacrifice 2 lowest keys for switching. On Sonar side you will need AZ Controller with 2 controls configured as "Track 1 + Focus" and "Track 2 + Focus" and assigne these controls to selected RD buttons. While sounds simple, better just let me know you want such preset (it will take ~1 minute for me to created it, but probably >>1 hour for you...)

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    joyof60
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 283
    Re: Midi routing options 2017/07/12 08:01:31 (permalink)
    Probably all day, but I will try both ideas, thanks for your time!!

Joyof60

Sonar Plat., Windows 10 Pro  (64bit), Custom Build,  AMD Rizen 5 @3.95GHz, Assorted HDDs, 32 Gb G.Skill RAM. Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Roland FA08, coupla guitars and misc. mics, cans,  and gadgetry.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1