BFD 3 - I underestimated this one.

Author
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
2017/07/07 19:01:15 (permalink)

BFD 3 - I underestimated this one.

I have had BFD3 for a whle and always thought it sounded great but until recently I had not taken the time to learn to use it's full potential. I tended call up the presets and just use stereo out when I did use it but for the most part fell back on my favourite Superior Drummer templates.

Four key features I have learnt (among others)
  • How to reveal the ambiant mics and overhead mics, reposition the mics and assign them to busses in BFD3 or to DAW channels.
  • How to reveal the multiple microphone options for base and snare drums, mix or re-route them.
  • Use the groove editor to access the range of articulations for each drum. (eg. 14 Hi-hat articulations on the kit I have open at the moment!)
  • Edit kits and create new kits, add slots etc.
These things are quite straightforward to do but just getting to grips with these four topics opened up a new world with BFD3. Thanks to Twaddle and this forum for a few pointers in the right direction.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud

2 Replies Related Threads

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: BFD 3 - I underestimated this one. 2017/07/07 19:40:30 (permalink)
    Yep. it's pretty deep. I'll admit that when I first bought it, I was deeply into SSD4, so I didn't "get it" right away. It's almost all I use now.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    jackson white
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 283
    Re: BFD 3 - I underestimated this one. 2017/07/08 14:01:23 (permalink)
    +1 for BFD3. I came at it from the other end, bought it (BFD1.5) because it had the most 'natural'/least 'processed' samples at the time and the longest cymbal decays. You can work it pretty much like a 'real' drum kit if you're used to that. I make good use of the modeling and tech screens all the time. The FX that come with it are good as well. My project templates route everything to a separate track in SONAR for another layer of processing/mixing. 

Had to laugh though. A colleague really liked the drum sound on a couple of tracks and asked me what preset I was using. I'm going presets? This thing has presets? ... Never thought to use them because I always roll my own kits, but can easily imagine they are worth a look. 

--------------------
    Some pieces of wood with wires and bits of metal stuck in them, silicon and plastic
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1