FX Chains: Are some of the newer ones not editable?

Author
Anonymungus!
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
2017/07/14 21:47:52 (permalink)

FX Chains: Are some of the newer ones not editable?

It may be some of the newer CA collection of FX Chains, maybe some others also.  Some of the FX Chains do not show the actual VST's that make up the chain. And it appears there is no way to alter the VST's within. You don't even know what VST's are inside the chain.  
   I was trying to use one of CA's (Craig Anderton) FX Chain for guitar called "Vintage Crunch".  There is a reverb sound that I can't seem to tame down. It has several knobs in the chain, one of which is 'Reverb'. I turn the reverb knob down to zero, but there is still a lot of reverb sound.
   Then it dawned on me that there is no way to, for example, take the reverb out of the chain. It seems these FX Chains are somewhat limiting. (Ha! Pun. )
   I checked out a lot of FX Chains just to see how many are like this. Like I said, it seems they are mostly in the CA Collection and Guitar Amp Sims.

So, is it true that one cannot 'edit' these FX Chains? 

Would love to hear your thoughts about this, especially if your initials are C.A.  

Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime, Windows 10 x64, Intel Quad Core CPU@3.40GHz, 8GB RAM, (2)1.5T Hard Drives, Presonus AudioBox 44VSL, Roland A-500Pro MIDI Controller & lots more stuff

5 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: FX Chains: Are some of the newer ones not editable? 2017/07/14 22:10:57 (permalink)
    Some of the Anderton collection were built using proprietary information. In order to make the chains available Cakewalk provided Craig a way to lock the chains.
    Anonymungus!
    Re: FX Chains: Are some of the newer ones not editable? 2017/07/14 23:18:00 (permalink)
       Thanks for the answer Scook. I don't like it, but it is what it is. It seems many of Craig's Guitar Sims have some amount of reverb with no way to attenuate it completely.

Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime, Windows 10 x64, Intel Quad Core CPU@3.40GHz, 8GB RAM, (2)1.5T Hard Drives, Presonus AudioBox 44VSL, Roland A-500Pro MIDI Controller & lots more stuff

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: FX Chains: Are some of the newer ones not editable? 2017/07/15 03:22:33 (permalink)
    Don't know if this is the issue, but if the CA-X amps replace TH2 with TH3, problems can occur. However...you should be able to reduce reverb entirely on all chains if they are working as intended.

I am hoping to redo the amps to be based on TH3 to eliminate these issues. There is significant wonkiness because of the differences between TH2 Producer, TH2 Artist, people who have full versions of TH2 installed, TH3, etc. So those people who say the amps sound great and the ones who say the amps sound like crap are both right .

If you could indicate which chains are not functioning as expected, that would be helpful as I do the conversions.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Anonymungus!
    Re: FX Chains: Are some of the newer ones not editable? 2017/07/15 04:58:36 (permalink)
       Thanks for chiming in Craig.  Like you said, it might be a TH2 to TH3 thing. I had previously checked out the CA-X Amps, but just the ones included in the folders 'High Gain' and 'Rock+Blues Amps' which is a total of eight different FX chains.  I could not completely remove the reverb on all of them (there was one that seemed to completely remove the reverb, but I forget which one).
       I will keep you posted. Have a fantastic weekend Craig.           (Thanks for sharing your expertise, we all love you!)

chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: FX Chains: Are some of the newer ones not editable? 2017/07/15 12:02:23 (permalink)
    Anonymungus!
     I will keep you posted. Have a fantastic weekend Craig.  (Thanks for sharing your expertise, we all love you!)

I love how the Fonts got smaller for "We all love you"

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1