Pop/maxed-meters/no-sound problem - video example

Author
PeterMc
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 504
2017/07/15 01:58:24 (permalink)

Pop/maxed-meters/no-sound problem - video example

Here's a video of the pop/maxed-meters/no-sound problem. In this case it gets triggered by (of all things) checking aud.ini through the properties dialog. Normally just hitting spacebar is enough. Note the maxed meters on the Master and vox reverb buses, the maxed-out spectrum in SPAN (which is on the Master bus) and the weird RMS and peak values in SPAN (1.$). Hitting spacebar multiple times doesn't fix the problem but does eventually stop the vox reverb bus meters from being maxed. Stopping and starting the audio engine makes no difference. Turning all FX off then on again does fix the problem.

It's probably better to download the video (7.3MB) and play with your favorite video software. The video is a bit blurry played directly from dropbox.

Cheers, Peter.

p.s. There's no audio to this video - couldn't figure out how to do it - maybe it's not possible with ASIO drivers. When the meters max out, and whenever the transport or audio engine is restarted, there is a loud click but no other sound. Normal sound resumes after turning all FX off then on.

i5 6500, H170M, Intel HD 530, 16GB, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Win 10 Pro (1803) (64 bit), Cakewalk by Bandlab

2 Replies Related Threads

ZincTrumpet
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 891
    Re: Pop/maxed-meters/no-sound problem - video example 2017/07/15 09:23:28 (permalink)
    Thanks PeterMc,

I will try turning off/on FX when it next happens to me. I too have tried the audio engine off/on without any joy.

ZT
    jbraner
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1830
    Re: Pop/maxed-meters/no-sound problem - video example 2017/07/18 19:53:02 (permalink)
    Well, I'll be damned! I disabled the 64 bit engine in Preferences -> Driver settings, an dmy problems have gone!
    Granted, my problems only showed when opening a project, with buffers set too low - but the "problem" files have some VST3 plugs, and I had the 64 bit engine enabled.

Turning off all FX also solved the problem, so I knew that my problem is related to the others...

John Braner
    https://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/JohnBraner
    http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner

- Intel i7 3770K 3.5GHz
    - Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit
    - Cakewalk by BandLab x64
    - Reaper x64
    - 16GB RAM
    - Asus P8z77-V mobo - using the integrated Intel graphic card (HD4000)
    - MOTU Ultralite AVB audio interface
    I usually use ASIO set at 64 or 128 samples
    er - that's it I think...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1