I will explain the best i can ,i hope someone understands :)

Author
danbottomburp
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 206
2017/07/15 18:05:17 (permalink)

I will explain the best i can ,i hope someone understands :)

So i have a Presonus audiobox usb connected with an adapter so i can use my speakers as outputs,they are not proper monitor speakers but they are really good audio speakers and work really well for playback.
I have just bought a new electric guitar and want to be able to use that obviously, can i use the Headphone out on my presonus and send a cable to my guitar amp  ?
There is only 2 main outputs and they are currently being used by my speakers. I need to do it this way as before when i plugged my acoustic into the audiobox , i would then have to change the driver mode over to windows to be able to hear playback and edit.this way i can plug my acoustic in and edit real time so to speak.
If i can use the Headphone output with a lead going into my amp i would be happy but i do not want to risk blowing something up.

Failing that , what extra equipment would i need so i can have my electric guitar plugged into audiobox and then lead coming out ,i imagine from the main outs but i don't want to be hearing my mix coming out of the guitar amp.

Really hope i have explained this well enough so you can understand haha.

So basically i want to be able to plug guitar into my audiobox but not have to keep switching outputs so i can edit etc etc real time and not keep changing outputs. Headphone output would be great but i do not know if it is supposed to be used this way.

Asus Z270F Motherboard
Intel core i7 7700k
BeQuiet Dark Rock Advanced CPU Cooler
Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200
Samsung 830 SSD SATA III 256GB 6GBPS 2.5"
Coolermaster 600W Silentpro PSU
Gigabyte 1080 Gpu
Sonar Platinum
Windows 10 64bit
Behringer c-1 condensor mic
Line 6 Helix Rack 

11 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: I will explain the best i can ,i hope someone understands :) 2017/07/15 20:51:28 (permalink)
    I can't think of why you would hook it up that way. That's certainly not how your supposed to use what you have. That is an impedance mismatch nightmare. 
    First , the electric guitar needs a proper electric guitar matched preamp.. You have that on your guitar amp,, so that's is the best place to plug your guitar into. 
    Second, a guitar amp makes a pretty bad studio monitor which is what you seem to be proposing. 
    So you plug the guitar into the amp and record that. 
    To record the sound from the amp depends on the amps output options. If it has a speaker emulated output or a DI etc. 
    If not you will have to mike it which is ultimately the best sounding option. 
    If it is not possible to use the amp for your pre amp then you need to buy a stand alone pre amp or use an audio interface that has that option. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

danbottomburp
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 206
    Re: I will explain the best i can ,i hope someone understands :) 2017/07/15 21:53:36 (permalink)
    I want to be able to hear effects from amplitube 4 etc through the amp and not through the speakers I have plugged into my audio box.
    But I then want to hear all music I've recorded through the speakers and not through the amp. 
    I'm using asio for everything now and it's perfect. 
    I've seen videos on YouTube where people have this but no idea how to achieve it. 
    Does that make sense? 

Asus Z270F Motherboard
    Intel core i7 7700k
    BeQuiet Dark Rock Advanced CPU Cooler
    Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200
    Samsung 830 SSD SATA III 256GB 6GBPS 2.5"
    Coolermaster 600W Silentpro PSU
    Gigabyte 1080 Gpu
    Sonar Platinum
    Windows 10 64bit
    Behringer c-1 condensor mic
    Line 6 Helix Rack 

abacab
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4464
    Re: I will explain the best i can ,i hope someone understands :) 2017/07/16 16:09:07 (permalink)
    Have you considered using an analog mixer to route your signals?

I have an older version of this Mackie 1202 mixer that used to be very handy for taking mic, guitar, and instrument inputs, and routing them to my PC audio interface.  I could send the audio back to the mixer from the PC and route it to my speakers for monitoring via the mixer.

There are multiple ways to set this up, but one of them would surely work for you.  This unit has Main, Tape, and Control Room outputs, as well as an Alt bus, sends, returns, channel inserts, etc.  Very flexible!

Mackie 1202VLZ4 Mixer
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1202VLZ4

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
    35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re: I will explain the best i can ,i hope someone understands :) 2017/07/16 21:17:01 (permalink)
    Going from a headphone out into a guitar amp gives you an impedance problem - too hot. It also seems like a silly idea and I can't fathom why you would want to do that. If you are recording then you want to monitor the sound through your monitor (hi-fi) speakers. Are you trying to do this for a live setup? I.e. use Amplitube as a stomp box going into your amp? If you are trying to record the guitar then either plug it into the audio interface (instrument/DI) and route it to Amplitube - which is what Amplitube is designed for (it's an amp simulator so a real amp is not required). Or plug into the amp and take a DI/line from that (if it has one) or mic up the cab and send that to a mic/line input on the audio card.

Or maybe you need to explain exactly what you are trying to achieve and for what purpose so we can help more.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    interpolated
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re: I will explain the best i can ,i hope someone understands :) 2017/07/16 21:30:57 (permalink)
    I have a two device solution which gets around connection problems. A separate headphone amplifier which is connected to my soundcard. The headamp connects to my speakers. Either way you need a splitter or some sort of intermediate device between your source and output.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: I will explain the best i can ,i hope someone understands :) 2017/07/18 02:29:34 (permalink)
    It still not how things are normally done. Your guitar amp wants to see a Guitar, not a line output. So as I said, it will make a crummy monitor. As 35mm is also saying the same thing.. It all about impedance matching with audio and guitar gear. 
    You would need a Re amp DI box to do it right. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: I will explain the best i can ,i hope someone understands :) 2017/07/18 14:28:44 (permalink)
    abacab
    Have you considered using an analog mixer to route your signals?

I have an older version of this Mackie 1202 mixer that used to be very handy for taking mic, guitar, and instrument inputs, and routing them to my PC audio interface.  I could send the audio back to the mixer from the PC and route it to my speakers for monitoring via the mixer.

There are multiple ways to set this up, but one of them would surely work for you.  This unit has Main, Tape, and Control Room outputs, as well as an Alt bus, sends, returns, channel inserts, etc.  Very flexible!

Mackie 1202VLZ4 Mixer
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1202VLZ4

Just get one of those Behringer mixers for about $50.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
    abacab
    Re: I will explain the best i can ,i hope someone understands :) 2017/07/18 15:56:05 (permalink)
    Having thought this through a bit more, connecting anything other than a guitar to the guitar amp could be a problem.

Amplitube is a guitar amp/cabinet simulator, so there should really be no need for a guitar amp (other than offline playing), unless you want to mic it for recording, as Cactus suggested earlier.

Just connect more powerful amp/speakers or powered monitors to your interface if the output level you have is too low for what you need.

A cheap hardware mixer would give you more versatility for connecting multiple instrument inputs, guitars, XLR mics, monitoring/headphones, etc.  Not really necessary if you are making all your sound "in the box", and recording a track at a time, which is the advantage these days of using a DAW with a good interface.

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: I will explain the best i can ,i hope someone understands :) 2017/07/18 18:15:23 (permalink)
    If the aim is to run the guitar signal through Amplitube then to a guitar amp it can be done. It's not entirely simple though.

The setup would look like this.

Guitar -> interface (might need a DI box with a 1MOhm+ instrument input if the interface doesn't have one. Guitars like to "see" a high impedance otherwise they lose a lot of treble and volume.

Interface sends signal to computer, and through DAW/Amplitube. You'll need to enable track echo if Amplitube's loaded into a DAW to hear what Amplitube is doing.

DAW sends signal back to interface. Not to the stereo outs connected to the monitor, but to another available output. The audio track's output will need to be configured to point directly at that output.

The interface output carrying the guitar should then be connected to what's known as a "reamp box". This is a special kind of DI box that converts a line-level signal to a guitar level one suitable for running into a guitar amp. Connect the reamp box output to the guitar amp.

Then record the output of the guitar amp using a microphone or maybe a speaker-emulating DI box of some kind. If it's a valve amp it absolutely must be connected to either a speaker or a load box of the correct impedance or you risk very expensive and quite possibly terminal damage to the amplifier very quickly indeed. The only exceptions are the Mesa Boogies and a few other amps which have a speaker emulated DI output and a built-in switching system to disconnect the speaker. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions when using such things.

Overall, it's a complicated way to go. Studios sometimes track a guitar twice at the same time, once track via the effects and amp, with another track recording the "dry" guitar in case they need to run it through different effects or amps later on. But it's a bit of wn overkill setup for most people.

I suggest a better way to do things is this.

Run the guitar directly into the amp. If there are effects that need to go before the amp - wahs, overdirves, fuzzes, compressors - consider buying a few inexpensive ones or good condition second hand. Record the amp, or use a loadbox and a speaker-emulating DI box like a Palmer or H&K Then add other effects - modulations, delay, reverb etc. - in the DAW.

What will not get good results, at least not without a great deal of careful setting adjustments, is connectong an output from the interface directly to the guitar amp. The output level from the interface will be vastly larger than the amp is designed to expect and it will probably distort like mad, or if the interface output is set low enough to avoid that you'll probably get a lot of hum. It's also quite possible there'll be a major ground/earthing loop set up as well which will buzz like mad.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    abacab
    Re: I will explain the best i can ,i hope someone understands :) 2017/07/18 18:25:06 (permalink)
    tlw

Interface sends signal to computer, and through DAW/Amplitube. You'll need to enable track echo if Amplitube's loaded into a DAW to hear what Amplitube is doing.

DAW sends signal back to interface. Not to the stereo outs connected to the monitor, but to another available output. The audio track's output will need to be configured to point directly at that output.

Doubt that is possible using a Presonus Audiobox 2x2.  I believe that is why the headphone out was mentioned earlier.  The monitors occupy the two available audio outputs from the interface.

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: I will explain the best i can ,i hope someone understands :) 2017/07/18 23:08:40 (permalink)
    :-)

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1