Looking for simple VST that would collapse a signal to mono then pan hard left

Author
smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
2017/07/16 23:35:57 (permalink)

Looking for simple VST that would collapse a signal to mono then pan hard left

I want to be able to press a button on a control surface and hear the signal come from one speaker in mono. I can't figure out how to get this to work, but if I could find a simple control that would do it I could put in in an fx chain in the Pro Channel and remote control the fx chain on and off...

12 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: Looking for simple VST that would collapse a signal to mono then pan hard left 2017/07/16 23:44:29 (permalink)
    Why wouldn't pan left work?

Best
    John
    smallstonefan
    Re: Looking for simple VST that would collapse a signal to mono then pan hard left 2017/07/16 23:58:21 (permalink)
    John
    Why wouldn't pan left work?

I need to use MIDI learn to have one Midi button do both panning left and creating a mono signal. 
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Looking for simple VST that would collapse a signal to mono then pan hard left 2017/07/17 00:47:27 (permalink)
    I must be missing something. If the left and right channels are panned left, then by definition you're getting a mono signal out of the left channel. Also, is there any reason it has to be in the ProChannel? You can just put Channel Tools in an FX Rack, pan the Right channel left, and use Assignable Controls in the console to enable/disable Channel Tools. You could enable/disable with a keyboard key, continuous controller, footpedal, etc.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    smallstonefan
    Re: Looking for simple VST that would collapse a signal to mono then pan hard left 2017/07/17 01:12:46 (permalink)
    Hi Craig,

Thanks for jumping in - let me break it down.

I. I have a Novation Launch Control. I would like to "program" one of the buttons to give me a mono test on my pair of Avantones.
    2. When the button is pressed, I need a sum of Left+Right to come out of just the left speaker - I don't want to hear mono through both speakers as that can induce phase issues.
    3. I need to be able to use Remote Control to get this effect toggled with just one button on the Novation Launch control.

EDIT: I could not figure out how to use Remote Control to turn a plugin off/on. I could get this to work with FX Chains, which is why I suggested this.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious. :) I tried Channel Tools, but was very confused by the Left/Right controls.

35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re: Looking for simple VST that would collapse a signal to mono then pan hard left 2017/07/17 02:09:53 (permalink)
    I think Channel Tools will be your best bet here. If you grab the right slider and slide it all the way to the left, you should now have L + R coming out of your left speaker (mono). If you can then enable & bypass with your controller and save that as a template it should be available in every project. You might want to adjust the gain to match.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Looking for simple VST that would collapse a signal to mono then pan hard left 2017/07/17 02:40:15 (permalink)
    ^^^ There's your answer.
    Just automate the Right Angle parameter.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    smallstonefan
    Re: Looking for simple VST that would collapse a signal to mono then pan hard left 2017/07/17 11:50:36 (permalink)
    35mm
    I think Channel Tools will be your best bet here. If you grab the right slider and slide it all the way to the left, you should now have L + R coming out of your left speaker (mono). If you can then enable & bypass with your controller and save that as a template it should be available in every project. You might want to adjust the gain to match.

PERFECT! In all these years I never used Channel Tools... I hadn't "groked" the sliders but it makes sense now - thank you!

I didn't want to use this for automation, just testing mono, so I added this to an fx chain in the pro channel and attached my button to the pro-channel bypass button (since I had nothing else in the pro channel I was using). 

Additional info: I put the mutes for my two sets of monitors on one button on the Novation as well (one muted, the other not). So I can hit one button on the Novation to toggle between the monitors, and another button to put the Avantones into a mono-left mode.

Works perfectly, thanks again! :)

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Looking for simple VST that would collapse a signal to mono then pan hard left 2017/07/17 13:57:11 (permalink)
    If all you want to do is test in mono, that's even easier. Use the Interleave button and let SONAR do the folding for you.

Channel Tools is great for panning stereo tracks when you don't want 100% left or right. For example, I use organs a lot. The Leslie is an intrinsically stereo effect, but as a backing instrument it usually doesn't warrant a place in the precious center of the mix. Consequently, Channel Tools goes on every organ track. If there's an organ solo, I'll automate CT to bring it into the center for the solo.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    smallstonefan
    Re: Looking for simple VST that would collapse a signal to mono then pan hard left 2017/07/17 14:13:11 (permalink)
    bitflipper
    If all you want to do is test in mono, that's even easier. Use the Interleave button and let SONAR do the folding for you.

This won't work for me because I don't want to hear the mono signal out of both speakers, as that can introduce phase issues.

bitflipper
    Channel Tools is great for panning stereo tracks when you don't want 100% left or right. For example, I use organs a lot. The Leslie is an intrinsically stereo effect, but as a backing instrument it usually doesn't warrant a place in the precious center of the mix. Consequently, Channel Tools goes on every organ track. If there's an organ solo, I'll automate CT to bring it into the center for the solo.

That's a cool technique! I actually see myself using this more thanks. :)
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Looking for simple VST that would collapse a signal to mono then pan hard left 2017/07/17 14:57:36 (permalink)
    smallstonefan
    EDIT: I could not figure out how to use Remote Control to turn a plugin off/on. I could get this to work with FX Chains, which is why I suggested this.

The Assignable FX controls in the Console view includes Enable as one of the Channel Tools automatable parameters, which you can trigger with a continuous controller, button, or keyboard note.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    smallstonefan
    Re: Looking for simple VST that would collapse a signal to mono then pan hard left 2017/07/17 18:14:32 (permalink)
    I had never used that feature before, thanks Craig! :)
    Pragi
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1173
    Re: Looking for simple VST that would collapse a signal to mono then pan hard left 2017/07/18 19:43:59 (permalink)
    You can also use the panipulator in the PC
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1