Helpful ReplySonar Supporting ARA - First in the game!

Author
Thedoccal
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 290
2017/07/17 17:36:09 (permalink)

Sonar Supporting ARA - First in the game!

My hat is off to Cakewalk for thinking ahead and taking the time and trouble to code and support Melodyne's ARA technology.  Only 4 DAWs support it, and WE are one of them!  Pro Tools doesn't even support it!  Wow!
https://youtu.be/ix1FKDtfiUs
"Does Cubase support ARA?"
"Unfortunately it doesn’t yet. ARA is currently supported by Studio One, SONAR, Tracktion, and Samplitude."

http://www.catastrophelounge.com
The NeckDive Strap - NEW^^
Sonar: Platinum Lifetime/Computer: i7-870, 16GB RAM, AMD R9 380 graphics, Windows 10 (Pro x64)/500gb SSD C:, Barracuda sample(3T) and projects(1T) drives/3 Display Monitors (2&3 split)/Audio Interface: Behringer UFX1604 USB/Firewire/USB Stick/MIDI: Roland A-800Pro, Keystation Pro 88, Roland UM-3G:/Hardware Synths: Korg M3, Yamaha MOX6, Roland TD-8
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Sonar Supporting ARA - First in the game! 2017/07/17 17:45:56 (permalink)
I would say "Early Adopter" is more accurate. I believe first honors go to Presonus.
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Sonar Supporting ARA - First in the game! 2017/07/17 18:24:26 (permalink)
scook
I would say "Early Adopter" is more accurate. I believe first honors go to Presonus.

Correct.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Sonar Supporting ARA - First in the game! 2017/07/17 19:00:35 (permalink)
Like Hertz, we try harder.
Thedoccal
Re: Sonar Supporting ARA - First in the game! 2017/07/17 19:08:22 (permalink)
It's a Four Way Tie for First.
What is more to the point is what is missing.
All the other DAWs on the planet.
The more I experiment with and watch ver 4 videos of Melodyne the more I am seeing the bigger picture, which I think Cakewalk recognized when they were first approached by Celemony to support this particular technological breakthrough.  I was smart to upgrade to Studio from Essential while the gettin' was good and the sale was on.
My excitement about this is unquenchable.  I have only scratched the surface so far.

Sonar: Platinum Lifetime/Computer: i7-870, 16GB RAM, AMD R9 380 graphics, Windows 10 (Pro x64)/500gb SSD C:, Barracuda sample(3T) and projects(1T) drives/3 Display Monitors (2&3 split)/Audio Interface: Behringer UFX1604 USB/Firewire/USB Stick/MIDI: Roland A-800Pro, Keystation Pro 88, Roland UM-3G:/Hardware Synths: Korg M3, Yamaha MOX6, Roland TD-8
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Sonar Supporting ARA - First in the game! 2017/07/17 19:19:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SF_Green 2017/07/19 22:47:54
Not the first time Cakewalk has been at the head of the pack.

In the earliest days, Cakewalk for DOS was one of only a handful of computer-based MIDI sequencers, far and away the most popular of them, and the only one not limited to 8 or 16 tracks. Later, SONAR was the first DAW to offer true 64-bit internal resolution. We forget that even many everyday features such as track freezing and track folders and slip-editing were once unique to SONAR. 

Because CW has always been focused on Windows, they've always been on top of Windows' internal developments and even influenced Microsoft's directions regarding audio support. That's why our DAW of choice offers load balancing, minidumps, Skylight and many under-the-hood optimizations such as priority-inversion detection. And why it was first to support touch screens, WASAPI and Bluetooth MIDI, and is now leading the way in pen and advanced touch support.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
CTStump
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 409
Re: Sonar Supporting ARA - First in the game! 2017/07/17 21:04:28 (permalink)
Celemony deserves the real credit here by opening up their API to developers thru the ARA port without having to send audio out to Melodyne then back to the host like an ordinary external audio editor.

Any host developer not willing to take advantage of this is really not thinking ahead and may be left behind as melodyne is by far "The" pitch system currently used by all producers serious about putting their best work forward.

Cakewalk deserves praise for getting in at the earliest time along with the Hamburg team at Presonus.

Let those waiting to see whether it is worthwhile to add this to their host development take heed, if you wait too long you could loose a few customers to the competition that adopted and implemented a pretty novel and efficient system such as ARA.

Sonar 8.5PE
Project 5.2
Self Built 2.6Ghz dual core AMD 5200+
8 Gb DDR Ram
Windows Vista 64
Emu 1616 pci
Various collection of old musical toys

Thedoccal
Re: Sonar Supporting ARA - First in the game! 2017/07/17 22:18:19 (permalink)
The Manual is 272 pages long for Melodyne Studio.  I'm only on page 19, but I now know why, and when to use Region FX and when to use the FX Bin.  The difference is crucial, as it turns out.  But as a rule I now follow this regimen:

Region Effect - When I am working on a single track, perhaps with split up clips in it or the track as a whole.
FX Bin - When I am working on a track with take lanes (comped)

We have talked about the difference before and concluded there wasn't much of a difference if any at all.  There is a difference. A huge difference.  When working on a track with take lanes - Always Insert Melodyne into the FX Bin.

UPDATE: That rule just flew out the window.  The FX bin did not accomplish what I thought the manual said it would.  Come back rule!  Come back!  Alas...it is gone.
post edited by Thedoccal - 2017/07/17 23:44:07

chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Sonar Supporting ARA - First in the game! 2017/07/17 22:26:48 (permalink)
Region FX changed my life.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Sonar Supporting ARA - First in the game! 2017/07/17 22:33:11 (permalink)
Thedoccal
Pro Tools doesn't even support it!  Wow!

I've been saying this ever since soon after Pro Tools appeared and an engineering student was trying to convince me that it was the only Profesional DAW out there because its the "industry standard" - I bit his head off (and a few months later he's opened his eyes once he's realised the limitations of PT).... PT might be the industry standard, but industry standards are mostly crap. Most of the industry standards from when I was full time in the industry have been over priced crap. E.g. I never walked into a control room without seeing a pair of Yamaha NS 10Ms (and had to have a pair myself because people would insist on it - they are still changing hands for way over what they are worth), or be offered a set of Beya DT 100s to put on my head (and have to have several pairs to provide to musicians because that's what they would insist on). There are many, much better alternatives, but these became the standards.

I have used PT on many occasions since it first became "the standard" and always hated it. People rave about it because it's the standard, but "standard" is literally what it is! Nothing more than that. It lacks all sorts of stuff, handles everything inefficiently, bogs down when you add some plugins, limits your track count and workflow etc.
This is why I've been using Sonar almost exclusively for years and why I'm glad it never became a standard. Cakewalk has always been alternative, innovative, and a driving force for change and improvement, just like me and I think that's why I always found a partner in Sonar.  [end of rant]

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: Sonar Supporting ARA - First in the game! 2017/07/17 23:15:04 (permalink)
If you have access to a big studio room, Pro Tools, couple of DSP hardware units and a console then I dare say it's the mutts nuts.

You know what I would like a dedicated Universal Audio setup and maybe some Analogue modelled Waves and Sonnox running in the background. It took me an age to get around Sonar because I wasn't a regular user. Now I kind of do everything in it.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: Sonar Supporting ARA - First in the game! 2017/07/17 23:15:04 (permalink)
Double post....

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: Sonar Supporting ARA - First in the game! 2017/07/19 02:38:05 (permalink)
Thedoccal
The Manual is 272 pages long for Melodyne Studio.  I'm only on page 19, but I now know why, and when to use Region FX and when to use the FX Bin.  The difference is crucial, as it turns out.  But as a rule I now follow this regimen:

Region Effect - When I am working on a single track, perhaps with split up clips in it or the track as a whole.
FX Bin - When I am working on a track with take lanes (comped)

We have talked about the difference before and concluded there wasn't much of a difference if any at all.  There is a difference. A huge difference.  When working on a track with take lanes - Always Insert Melodyne into the FX Bin.

UPDATE: That rule just flew out the window.  The FX bin did not accomplish what I thought the manual said it would.  Come back rule!  Come back!  Alas...it is gone.

FWIW, the 06 update now allows comping of Melodyne clips - you can slip edit, split, etc., while retaining the Region FX.   And with Melodyne Studio you can view/edit multiple clips/tracks in the same Melodyne window, choosing either Clip or Track mode to control the blobs you see.  Good stuff.

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Thedoccal
Re: Sonar Supporting ARA - First in the game! 2017/07/19 21:04:58 (permalink)
stevec

FWIW, the 06 update now allows comping of Melodyne clips - you can slip edit, split, etc., while retaining the Region FX.   And with Melodyne Studio you can view/edit multiple clips/tracks in the same Melodyne window, choosing either Clip or Track mode to control the blobs you see.  Good stuff.

Thanks.  I think the rule may be back...viewing comped tracks in Clip Mode was what I was missing.
Indeed, in clip mode, with many comped lanes "Melodyned", I can double-click on the comped track in (Sonar's Track View) and it will appear in the Melodyne window.  I was hoping to populate the Track View in Melodyne with a list of comped tracks, but it will only list the "Mother" and any other regular tracks opened into Melodyne.  But this is OK as Sonar's track view is just a screen away and I get a better visual cue of the comped track I want to fix next from it.  But my fantasy "rule" about the FX bin is pretty much a moot point, since inserted in the FX Bin, Melodyne no longer uses ARA...so actually I'm back to wondering what use it is in the FX bin.  Using Region FX activates ARA, and that is what we are after.  More...

In Track mode, Melodyne and Sonar will show me all the clips at once that I am working on, with no ability to ghost any of them.  In Clip mode, Melodyne and Sonar will let me see clip at a time, but I can double click Melodyne-enabled clips in Sonar's track view to change the blob sequence to another clip.

I imagine a future feature may be to populate that Track View list in Melodyne with Sonar take lane clips, so they can be ghosted like an ordinary track.  This was what I originally thought might be the case if inserted into the FX bin...but that isn't close to being accurate at the moment...or ever.
post edited by Thedoccal - 2017/07/19 21:48:29

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1