The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar)

Author
Wayfarer
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 831
2017/07/19 23:03:25 (permalink)

The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPW4kUJv_z8

Some jerk of a man-child came onto my channel under a bunch of fake accounts and gave me 7 thumbs-down on this video and a few others. I just can't win with the interweb.

21 Replies Related Threads

eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar) 2017/07/19 23:43:33 (permalink)
    About the composition: overall pleasant tune.  I'd rewrite those fast passages.  They're non sequiters.

About the playing:. Could use some practice articulating the notes( every note is important).  The thumb pick unbalances the presentation of the counterpoint,it's too accented.

I've never read the cs Lewis book. Is it good?

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

Charlie H
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re: The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar) 2017/07/20 00:14:09 (permalink)
    It's wonderful--the playing, the composition, and the recording quality. How'd you get your guitar to sound so good? Just about every classical guitar recording I've ever heard sounds like the guitar is down the street. You've got some amazing speed! I'd be tempted to play like Al Di Meola all day if I had that kind of speed, but you tempered it very nicely just using it to add spice, which is exactly what great guitar is all about. Very inspiring stuff.
    Wayfarer
    Re: The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar) 2017/07/20 14:59:59 (permalink)
    "I've never read the cs Lewis book. Is it good?"

Only one of the best children's books ever written.

"How'd you get your guitar to sound so good?"

Just a pair of 1/2" condensers in an X-pattern about a foot away. Yes, most classical guitar is horribly recorded. They usually insist on distant mic'ing and then lose all the dynamics and overtones of the instrument.

I've had the piece around for a while now. It was written along with a couple of other specific pieces for a documentary on CS Lewis, but the filmmaker lost his funding. I don't normally do paint by numbers music, but it seemed to fit the subject.
    emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar) 2017/07/20 16:38:42 (permalink)
    Thanks for the share! I really like it. I think acoustic guitar like this is perhaps the most difficult instrument to play. Your composition is top notch. I read your gear list you used, and I think you got a remarkably clean sound from that equipment.

Wish I could play like that!

cheers,
    -Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    Wayfarer
    Re: The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar) 2017/07/21 15:32:39 (permalink)
    "I think acoustic guitar like this is perhaps the most difficult instrument to play."

That bit between 1:42 and 1:56 is fairly difficult, but otherwise this one isn't just too bad. Thanks for your comments Tom!
    AndyB01
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 200
    Re: The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar) 2017/07/24 20:24:43 (permalink)
    Very nice - I'm a big fan of classical guitar (Steve Hackett is my all-time guitar hero) and I play a little (not to anything like your standard) so I wouldn't even begin to try and critique your technique. The sound you achieved in recording the guitar was really very good and yes - I agree - Yamaha did indeed make some very good instruments back in the day. I thought there were shades of Bach in there and actually I loved the fact that the piece kept evolving and changing: melodic arpeggios, then a fast run, then a little bluesy or jazzy progression to switch the mood - terrific stuff. I really, really enjoyed it and - as someone who has tried to make and post a three-part tutorial on how to play Giuliani's Andante in C on YouTube - I know how hard it is to create an effective live video with a good guitar sound.

A very good job all round - thanks for sharing and more please. :-) Andy

Sonar Platinum, Win10 Pro 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, Six-core AMD, Twin SSD. Instruments: Roland A88 and Taylor 314CE all through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. More ambition than talent.

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar) 2017/07/25 16:37:59 (permalink)
    I enjoyed it, a gentle smile at the end of the video would not have gone amiss though.  Thanks for sharing.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Wayfarer
    Re: The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar) 2017/07/25 18:04:13 (permalink)
    Thanks guys! This piece was meant to be orchestrated from the beginning. I uploaded it to get an idea as to whether or not it would stand on its own as a solo guitar piece too. I think it does, but I also think that if you heard it with a full orchestra that all the movements would make more sense. I'll get around to it one of these days.
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar) 2017/07/25 19:05:28 (permalink)
    Overall the playing was pretty decent  the recording itself was done nicely and sounded professional .

I felt that some sections were a little loose in the corners .

FWIW , I play and record solo guitar all the time . Out of all the different forms of musical expressiveness a guitarist can tackle . Playing solo unaccompanied guitar is the summit at the top of the mountain  ...

all the best ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Wayfarer
    Re: The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar) 2017/07/25 22:23:43 (permalink)
    "Playing solo unaccompanied guitar is the summit at the top of the mountain"

Hey, if we keep telling them that long enough, maybe they'll believe it. Worked for Hitler! 

Thanks for your comments,

Bill
    post edited by Wayfarer - 2017/07/26 21:41:40
    stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar) 2017/08/09 19:14:12 (permalink)
    Playing catch-up....

I very much enjoyed that.   Lots of nice melodies, chord changes and a few smooth key shifts along the way, and the overall tone is nice.  Having been a Steve Howe fan most of my life this is right up my alley! 

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Wayfarer
    Re: The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar) 2017/08/10 00:08:19 (permalink)
    Well thank you Steve.
    Bacco
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re: The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar) 2017/08/10 01:51:29 (permalink)
    Very nice, I enjoyed the flow of the song structure. Interesting to see the thumb pick, do you normally use one? And, you seem to be doing just fine on the interweb!
    Wayfarer
    Re: The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar) 2017/08/10 23:26:00 (permalink)
    Thanks. I've used a thumbpick since I was knee-high to a stop sign. Hey, it worked for Chet, Merle, Doyle, and Tommy.

The one thing I DON'T like and no one has picked up on is that I used a little bit of compression on this recording. You only notice it when I hit the strings hard. It's a harsh sound. This is the one and only time I've tried compression on nylon strings. As good as some nice compression sounds on a steel string acoustic, it just doesn't work on nylon strings. Never again! (If anyone wants to hear the difference, I have a video of me playing the exact same guitar mic'd in the exact same way but without compression here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4lnhh4z8CU)
    Bacco
    • Total Posts : 41
    Re: The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar) 2017/08/11 04:55:51 (permalink)
    No doubt! The last time I donned a thumb pick was when I heard Chet Atkins Stephen Foster Medley and wanted to learn it so bad. Still in love with that arrangement. The problem for me was that I was too into rock/metal and I had zero chill to get the thumb coordination down for the alternating bass parts. Maybe I'll revisit it next year! 
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar) 2017/08/11 18:04:03 (permalink)
    Bill - this is very nice!  love the playing, the recording is well done.  I think I would back off of the reverb a tad, but other than that, this is excellent!  I love classical guitar and you've done a great job on this!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    Re: The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar) 2017/08/11 20:36:32 (permalink)
    Beautiful piece. I had to watch it twice, once for each hand. I have to disagree with your critic. The fast runs work well, kind of take the listener by surprise. Perhaps a couple of notes lack clarity, but who's a rocker to criticize that? I like it a lot

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Wayfarer
    Re: The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar) 2017/08/12 00:17:02 (permalink)
    Thank you gentlemen. I'm no Barrios, but I think I'm improving! Or at least I hide my mistakes better. 
    FreeEarCandy
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 181
    Re: The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar) 2017/08/12 06:35:50 (permalink)
    Really enjoyed this. A wonderful piece. Nice easy pace with some impressive fills. Catching some nice tones up and down the neck with some interesting breaks and turns. Well done. Nice piece of wood for $100. I like cheap too, though no skills in major repairs. But if I did have such skills, I wouldn't have passed it up. See! You are lucky and you play guitar pretty damn good. Work on the smile!
    :)
    Dean.

!!!))) @(~..~)@ (((!!!
    ***FreeEarCandy***
    Jesse Screed
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1158
    Re: The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar) 2017/08/12 12:31:21 (permalink)
    sorry to about hear about the jerk and the thumbs down, but if I were you I wouldn't trouble myself with that, darn world is full of internet jerks, and non internet jerks to.

Mostly you should be proud of this no matter what anyone says.

this is the first piece I have listened to of yours, and now I know I will listen to more, you are a very good player.

did you study formally?  or are you self taught? 

tell me more about your background, I am interested, it lends personality to what I listen to.

It is obvious that you have spent your 10,000 hours in all the right places.

very well played, and with the video you don't hide anything, it's all right there for people to see, but there was nothing to hide.

straight up excellent!

Jesse Q Screed
    Wayfarer
    Re: The Foundling Goes Home (classical guitar) 2017/08/14 21:37:17 (permalink)
    Just a short note to say thanks to all for the comments. I've been running back and forth to the hospital with family and whatnot, and don't have time to stick around right now.

I traded a guy my Taylor 314ce for a Godin Grand Concert Duet Ambiance and have a new arrangement for The Candy Man (Willy Wonka) that I hope to get time to record with it in the next couple of weeks. I'm sure this guitar won't sound as good as my Yamaha, but I think it will fit the bill for live use and may be better for many of the old pop songs that I like to play. It plays like a dream.

Bill
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1