How to get Ctrlr VSTi to work in Sonar?

Author
lahatte
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 230
2017/07/18 05:53:16 (permalink)

How to get Ctrlr VSTi to work in Sonar?

I am trying to get Ctrlr to work in Sonar as a VSTi. All I get when I insert it as an instrument is a blank VSTi pane.

How does one load Ctrlr into this? Should it not already be there?

Thoughts?

Also, why can I not insert a file as an attachment here????? The only option is URLs. Very frustrating.

10 Replies Related Threads

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: How to get Ctrlr VSTi to work in Sonar? 2017/07/18 07:54:31 (permalink)
    lahatte
    I am trying to get Ctrlr to work in Sonar as a VSTi. All I get when I insert it as an instrument is a blank VSTi pane.

There is some bug, not sure on which side. The first time I open the interface, Ctrlr window is "shifted" (by far) in the Sonar frame (I do not need to scroll/resize, but if you do not see "File" menu try that). Once panel is loaded (from Ctrlr File menu), close the window and open it again. It should be better now (and it stay synced afterwards).

Also, why can I not insert a file as an attachment here????? The only option is URLs. Very frustrating.

CW forum is not a web storage... You can use 3d party free services (imgur) or your own storage/site and put links into posts. Most corporate web sites have the same restriction (not only costs but also legal reasons).

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    lahatte
    Re: How to get Ctrlr VSTi to work in Sonar? 2017/07/20 02:29:36 (permalink)
    Tried to find a Ctrlr menu, couldn't find one anywhere. I would really like this to work. 

Other thoughts on this? Is anyone successfully using Ctrlr in Sonar?

lahatte
    Re: How to get Ctrlr VSTi to work in Sonar? 2017/07/20 03:23:40 (permalink)
    So I did an uninstall and re-installed an earlier version, then the latest version. It works now (not sure if the earlier version had anything to do with it). But I cannot get any MIDI to go out of the Ctrlr VSTi to my instrument. It works fine outside of Sonar. How is this configured inside a host?
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: How to get Ctrlr VSTi to work in Sonar? 2017/07/20 03:48:27 (permalink)
    If the plug-in shows up as a synth and the scanner determines the plug-in is capable of generating MIDI data, enable MIDI output is enabled by default and the plug-in should show up as an input on an instrument or MIDI track (assuming "Enable MIDI Output" has not been turned off in the Insert Soft Synth Option" dialog).

If the plug-in shows up as an FX and it is capable of generating MIDI data, there is an option on the VST drop down to "Enable MIDI Output." Checking this option will cause the plug-in to appear as an input on instrument and MIDI tracks. For more info see the To enable VST MIDI input and output ports section near the bottom of this page
    lahatte
    Re: How to get Ctrlr VSTi to work in Sonar? 2017/07/20 04:43:53 (permalink)
    Thanks. All that is as it should be. On the Ctrlr MIDI track I have the Ctrlr shown as a MIDI input, and as a MIDI output, though I am uncertain if I should select the output to which my external synth is connected. Either way, no output from Ctrlr.

Have you made this work in Sonar?

lahatte
    Re: How to get Ctrlr VSTi to work in Sonar? 2017/07/20 05:09:20 (permalink)
    Ok, so it seems like you have to turn off your MIDI devices in Sonar that you want to make use of with Ctrlr, which seems really odd, but I guess that's what you get for nothin. Then you select them in the Ctrlr MIDI settings.

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: How to get Ctrlr VSTi to work in Sonar? 2017/07/20 05:10:37 (permalink)
    lahatte

No, but if it works at all in SONAR, it will work like any other VSTi that generates MIDI. In my experience it is something like a sequencer - a plug-in that loads like a synth but generates only MIDI, no audio.

All synths in SONAR need at least one audio track whether they use it or not. This is one time I use an instrument track. It satisfies the requirements for the plug-in without taking additional space for the dummy audio track. Because the plug-in also generates MIDI, it will need an additional MIDI track to handle the data from the plug-in. Input set to the plug-in and I suppose in this case output set to the  external synth. The MIDI track would also need input echo enabled.
    azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: How to get Ctrlr VSTi to work in Sonar? 2017/07/20 14:50:51 (permalink)
    lahatte
    Ok, so it seems like you have to turn off your MIDI devices in Sonar that you want to make use of with Ctrlr, which seems really odd, but I guess that's what you get for nothin. Then you select them in the Ctrlr MIDI settings.

Ctrlr can send MIDI to the host or directly to the device. In the later case, it works directly, bypassing the host. Most MIDI devices are not "sharable", 2 programs can not work with the same device in parallel (while CtrlLr running inside Sonar is technically the same program, it tries to initiate a separate connection).

You can also output MIDI to the host and then ask the host to send that to the device. Sonar is able to do this, while routing is not straightforward. You will need to enable CtrlLr VST MIDI output, make separate MIDI track, set its input to CtrlLr output and its output to the device, enable Echo on that track and watch all other MIDI tracks in the project do not have "Omni.." as the input. Taking the problem Sonar likes to "mess" MIDI devices in case you disconnect something from you computer, evaporating any MIDI routing in the project, that is practically not usable approach...

So in practice, if you want to send MIDI from Ctrlr and Sonar in parallel, you have 2 options:
    * get some software MIDI "router", so you have 2 virtual MIDI inputs routed to the single device input
    * try to make the routing inside CtrLr, so output whatever you need to send from Sonar to CtrLr VST.

scook
    lahatte

No, but if it works at all in SONAR, it will work like any other VSTi that generates MIDI. In my experience it is something like a sequencer - a plug-in that loads like a synth but generates only MIDI, no audio.

Ctrlr is not normal VST MIDI FX. It is similar to Cakewalk Studioware, with options to work with MIDI devices directly (so not using VST MIDI in/out).

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    lahatte
    Re: How to get Ctrlr VSTi to work in Sonar? 2017/07/20 23:12:02 (permalink)
    Thanks Azslow3. I have a MIDI and an audio track set up for playing the external synth, which works fine. What I did for Ctrlr was to additionally add the Ctrlr as a softsynth via the insert softsynth menu. That gives me a MIDI track for Ctrlr. I am not sure how to get Ctrlr to get it's output to Sonar (host). I tried setting the input for the Ctrlr MIDI track to Ctrlr, and the output to Ctrlr, or to the hardware out that connects to my external synth. Nothing has worked in that regard. I have to disable the MIDI ports in Sonar and then assign them via the Ctrlr interface in order to get Ctrlr to send out data.

First of all, I do not want to disable any of my hardware MIDI devices in order to make Ctrlr work. I suppose what I would like to do is to have a MIDI and an audio track that handles playing the synth, and also another MIDI track that has the Ctrlr, which can also communicate with the same MIDI device (via Sonar somehow), that connects to the external synth.

Or perhaps I could just have the Ctrlr MIDI track AS the external synth MIDI track, with the audio track getting the audio. Maybe that would make more sense (one MIDI track serving for Ctrlr and for playing). Though I don't know how that might be set up. Can you specify your thoughts on that?

Please be specific on settings if you don't mind. :)

Thanks.

post edited by lahatte - 2017/07/21 02:44:24
    lahatte
    Re: How to get Ctrlr VSTi to work in Sonar? 2017/07/21 05:13:02 (permalink)
    I have something that somewhat works. Here's what I have right now ...
    1. Install LoopMIDI, and run the tool.
    2. In the LoopMIDI Config, click the + to add a port. You can name it first if you like, or use the default name.
    Sonar Part:
    1. In Sonar, go to Preferences, MIDI devices, and select the new port as an output (not input).
    2. Add an audio track to get the signal from your external MIDI device into Sonar, as usual per your audio interface.
    3. Add a MIDI track for the external MIDI device.
      • Set the track MIDI Input to your keyboard, or whatever is used to send notes info, etc.
      • Set the track MIDI Output to the LoopMIDI port.
    Ctrlr Part:
    1. Open the stand-alone Ctrlr application.
    2. Under the MIDI menu, set the Input Device and Controller Device to the LoopMIDI port.
    3. Set the Output Device to your hardware port connected to your external MIDI device (I don't know how this is working to allow both Sonar and Ctrlr to access this port, but here it is).
    4. Set the Thru to "Input Device -> Output Device".
    This setup gets me MIDI and audio for the external MIDI device via Sonar, and also the ability to control the device with the stand-alone Ctrlr application.

There may be ways to improve on this, but this is what I have found for now.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1