General Instability Part II

Author
davisb24
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24
2017/07/23 19:59:17 (permalink)

General Instability Part II

Hello, I can't seem to work a session in Platinum without constantly crashing or locking up.  Clearly I am doing something wrong, but I am out of ideas on what to do here.

I have a thread here: http://forum.cakewalk.com/General-Instability-m3586710.aspx where we were able to figure out a problem that reduced the frequency of the errors. In this post the mute and Fx buttons consistently caused crashes. I can use these buttons now without problems, but I still crash or lockup multiple times per hour in other cases. My guess is that these problems were side-effects of a deeper problem.

The problems occur usually within 5 seconds of hitting play or stopping play.  Also it locks up consistently after recording. I'll record a clip and immediately as I hit space to stop recording SONAR freezes.  These problems started around November 2016. The problems are consistent enough to where I cannot record in SONAR for fear of losing my monitor to my keyboard.

Another problem is that I sometimes get massive feedback static across various buses.  As in they are maxed out blowing my ear drums. The max db reading on the buses says 100.  It starts out with the app freezing for maybe a second before blasting me.  The buses it happens on are not consistent and I can watch the static move through buses down to the master. After muting the static will gradually drop down over the course of about 30 seconds, which kind of seems like a feedback loop.  (This is all happening after stopping play.) Also sometimes when I mute one bus that appears to be the source of the problem, another bus will sometimes max out in its place.  Basically there appears to be no single source to the problem.  Once this happens the audio engine is dead. I can restart it/refresh it but I almost never get sound until I restart sonar. After muting all bad buses, I can see sound going through the buses, but it stops in various buses never making it to the master.  The buses showing activity always seem to be random.  The static will persist across audio engine restarts. The static is across all frequencies. Sometimes I will get static on buses fed by tracks that have no audio clips on them.

Rarely if I mute the buses where the static is coming from quick enough (usually multiple buses) and let it sit for a minute it will recover and I can start hearing sound again, though the problem will occur again within a few minutes.  This problem occurs in all of my projects at seemingly random places during my workflow and position in songs. 

The symptoms changed slightly after an update about 4 months ago. I forget which update, but the static started displaying different characteristics.  Previously, once the static occurred it would not stop until I killed SONAR.  I could mute it and then unmute it and the static would still come through the headphones. Usually the program would not crash or freeze and I could continue working without sound. More recently though the static will still continue but after muting and waiting a few seconds and then unmuting the static is still going, but nothing is coming out of the headphones.  Also the static started including a soft steady clicking noise sometimes about 5-10 seconds after/replacing the static blast.  This now ends in a crash after about 10-15 seconds.  This was very noticeable change in behavior at the time because the behavior was so consistent previously and I could try and track down what was going on whereas now it crashes after a bit (though I never got anywhere).

So to summarize here are three problems:
1.) Regular unpredictable crashes after hitting stop or play
2.) Sonar freezes when hitting stop after recording
3.) Seemingly random massive static with no clear source that kills the audio engine

Here are some dump files:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0zTyRVNNqqZTW5neldQbXZUdXc
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0zTyRVNNqqZOHNqOUFJWDRCU2M
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0zTyRVNNqqZY3pUdEZnUkwxWFU

This is extremely frustrating. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
post edited by davisb24 - 2017/07/23 20:33:28

SONAR Platinum x64; Win7; i7 4790; 24GB RAM; 1TB SSD; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

8 Replies Related Threads

interpolated
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re: General Instability Part II 2017/07/23 21:47:43 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Far as I can tell from the first dump you were using Fabfilter Pro L at some point in your chain. Could it be something causing latency and problems between this part of the process?

I don't know.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
    msorrels
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1025
    Re: General Instability Part II 2017/07/23 22:54:44 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    All three crashes are Fabfilter Timeless 2 crashing by trying to store a value into an invalid memory location.  It sort of looks like it's not handling an error return and assuming what it got back is valid memory when it's really an error of some sort.  But I don't have any Fabfilter plugins so I can't really tell much exactly about what it's doing.  But it is its code that is directly crashing.

But I'm not sure the crashes have anything to do with the freezes while recording and the massive static.  The massive static sounds more like some sort of hardware issue or perhaps some sort of copy protection gone amok.  Not sure how you can easily work out what the hardware failure is though.  I'd think it would happen with other DAW software though.

-Matt

interpolated
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re: General Instability Part II 2017/07/24 11:13:20 (permalink)
    I had to turn off my Plug-in load balancing in Sonar as it was causing me some timing issues. Could be worth checking out.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
    Faza_TCM
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: General Instability Part II 2017/07/31 12:49:28 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I'd been having similar problems recently, which I seem to have fixed.

Please see in another thread for what I did and what the effects were.

EDIT: It appears that the forum software is purging my links. My solution can be found in "Sonar Platinum Dropouts and freezes." in the Problem Reports forum.

Hope it can be of some help.
    davisb24
    Re: General Instability Part II 2017/08/01 03:06:18 (permalink)
    I'm excited to say that the static issue is resolved.  Matt's copyright protection comment triggered me to look for plugins that had expired trial periods.  There were two: Sugar Bytes Effectrix and iZotope Stutter. As soon as I uninstalled them the problem stopped (not sure which was causing the issues).  What is interesting is that I was not using these plugins in any projects...  They were originally installed around the time some of my other problems began last November.

I sent a tech email to FabFilter about the timeless crashes.  I have not heard back from them yet, though I also have not had any hard-crashes since uninstalling those plug-ins.  It has only been a week, but zero hard-crashes in a week is huge!

Unfortunately the recording issues remain.  I will try the drop-out and freezes link, and the load balancer suggestion next.

Thank you!

TStorms
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 336
    Re: General Instability Part II 2017/08/13 23:00:02 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I have a similar problem of Sonar freezing when play or record is stopped. I can always get SONAR to respond again by unplugging my MIDI controller (AKAI MPK49). It's annoying and inconvenient but at least I don't have to reboot any more (which was my previous only option because the SONARPLT exe would not end when I terminated it via Task Manager). Maybe this will help you.

Hipatitis (n): Terminal coolness. 

Platinum on Win 7 Intel i7 870 8GB Ram Crucial SSD WD Raptor 10K RPM TC Electronic StudioKonnekt48 Akai MPK49
    TStorms
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 336
    Re: General Instability Part II 2017/10/25 07:37:51 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I have since connected my AKAI MPK49 to my audio interface via 5-pin MIDI cables instead of connecting it directly to the computer via USB. There have been NO SONAR freezes since I made that change - at least 6 weeks ago. Seems to say the problem could be related to the AKAI USB implementation.

Hipatitis (n): Terminal coolness. 

Platinum on Win 7 Intel i7 870 8GB Ram Crucial SSD WD Raptor 10K RPM TC Electronic StudioKonnekt48 Akai MPK49
    davisb24
    Re: General Instability Part II 2017/12/12 04:26:20 (permalink)
    I tried all suggestions above and none solved the recording issue for me.  I did figure out the problem though:  If a Melodyne clip exists on any take lane of the track being recorded to, it will freeze sonar when the recording is stopped.  Bouncing all melodyne clips on that track will allow recording most of the time, but not always.  Now when I run into this I end up recording to a new track that never had a melodyne clip on it and dragging the recording to the track I want it on.  PITA, but better than not being able to record at all!

I just made a separate post under problems for other melodyne clip issues that I noticed while troubleshooting this issue.  I have the feeling it might be too late now though given that Cakewalk is dead. "lifetime upgrades" they got me.

Anyway thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1