Akai LPD8 and Sonar!

Author
mattburnside
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 56
2017/07/25 18:53:31 (permalink)

Akai LPD8 and Sonar!

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has any experience in getting an Akai LPD8 to work as a control device for Sonar? I can use the pads on the device but the tactile knobs don't seem to learn to anything anymore, I know it can do it as I have it working but can't since a re-install of Sonar. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

3 Replies Related Threads

Zargg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10666
    Re: Akai LPD8 and Sonar! 2017/07/25 19:22:14 (permalink)
    Hi. I have used Az Controller to set up my AKAI MPK25 as a control surface.
    I found it much easier to set up, compared to ACT.
    All the best.

Ken Nilsen
    Zargg
    BBZ
    Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
    Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

gerard st. pierre
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re: Akai LPD8 and Sonar! 2017/07/25 20:58:47 (permalink)
    hi friend i use that very controller and i have no issues.
    i am not sure what level of user you are and hope to not seem condescending etc...because i am no 'expert' and have been using SONAR for less than a year. I used Cakewalk 9 ...mostly because i had a lot of gear and hesitated away from my comfort zone knowing that there was a large learning curve moving to sonar platnum and vst's

first thing, first...either go the the 'EDIT" menu tab and click preferences, or just press the default 'p' button...under the MIDI option click the "devices" tab.
    Make sure the LPD8 box is selected....under the input area. If you do not see you LPD8 under the input choices...then something has gone wrong in the setup/recognition of the device. But if the pads work as you stated, chances are this is not the issue.

so....i will assume a few things: 1/ you are using VST instruments and not midi (but even if not it is the same procedure i think)
    2. you freeze your vst tracks.

once a track is 'frozen', you go down to the vst instrument your midi track is inserted to (it has the keys icon)...go to right in that track to where your volume control box is...
    then, right click over the volume box. Right near the bottom is the choice "Remote Control". Left click that option.

now, under 'channel messages', click "controller"
    now click on the right hand side..."Learn"

to the left is a number field choice....as the LPD8 of course only has 8 control buttons....choose from 1-8 for that instrument. Click "OK"
    go back and see if the volume field is moving when you turn the corresponding knob.

taa daa.

hope that helps friend.
    mattburnside
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re: Akai LPD8 and Sonar! 2017/07/26 06:50:18 (permalink)
    Hey guys and thanks for your advice and help.

I did however figure it out in the process of trying the things you both suggested. Seems the upload from the LPD8 editor was the issue. I had changed some pad notation and uploaded this weeks ago but for some reason this had rendered the rotary useless. Re-Uploaded the default and hey ho I again can simply right click and select remote control within all my VST's and the mixer itself.

Thanks again guys.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1