AnsweredHow to load a basic waveform into DIM Pro in order to build a synth sound from scratch?

Author
jbartee777
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2017/07/29 20:51:22 (permalink)

How to load a basic waveform into DIM Pro in order to build a synth sound from scratch?

I was watching a vidio that mentioned there were some basic waveforms Cakewalk got from (RC or RG?) that one could load into DIM PRO and use to build sounds from scracth. I do not see how to do this or where these waves are on disk??

:} JB
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: How to load a basic waveform into DIM Pro in order to build a synth sound from scratch 2017/07/29 21:05:53 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby jbartee777 2017/07/29 21:07:53
From the loading samples section of the DPro help

Samples can be of any bit depth (8 to 32-bit), any sampler-ate, and either mono or stereo. Each sample in a multisample can be a standard PCM Windows wave file (.wav), an Apple audio format (.aiff) or a compressed file in the stan-dard, high-quality, open and royalty-free ogg-vorbis format (.ogg). Those files can also be loaded directly into a player.

It supports flac and rex files too. The red line in this image from the help file points to the area where file names are displayed for each element. Click in that area to open the sample file open dialog.

All the audio files shipped with DPro are in the multisample folder. The default path in Windows is "C:\Programs Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Multisamples".
jbartee777
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: How to load a basic waveform into DIM Pro in order to build a synth sound from scratch 2017/07/29 21:09:10 (permalink)
Thanks Scott! It is time to go beyond the canned sounds and build something... :} JB
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: How to load a basic waveform into DIM Pro in order to build a synth sound from scratch 2017/07/30 18:24:26 (permalink)
If you just start with the "Empty Program" you have when Dim Pro opens, select an element [E1-E4] and click in that area the red line is pointing to, the open file dialog shows a lot of files that you can work with. 

The four elements are a blank slate that you can load anything into, and the rest of the patch settings are set to default init values, so you can shape the sound any way you like!

I find that I have good results when I load an sfz file into an element, because the multisamples get loaded with the keyboard regions already lined up.  If I just load a wav sample, the pitch gets shifted up and down the keyboard, away from the root note that was recorded.  This can work ok with some sounds, if you don't get too far away from the root note.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1