FM8 audio input trouble

Author
FettsVett
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 83
2017/07/29 23:57:13 (permalink)

FM8 audio input trouble

I cannot get audio routed into FM8 when inserted as an effect or soft synth in an FX Bin on an audio track. There is no input level into FM8 when the track is being played as evidenced when looking at the Master module input level in FM8. Please help. 

I have tried to insert a send to an Instrument instance of FM8, that rendered it useless as well.

16 Replies Related Threads

KAV
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re: FM8 audio input trouble 2017/07/30 12:13:24 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    When you insert FM8 into an FX rack, do you still hear your track or does it go silent?

There's a separate FX version of FM8 (FM8 FX.dll) that's supposed to be used when FM8 is inserted as an effect. If one tries to insert the synth version (FM8.dll), it behaves the way you described, so that would be the first thing I'd check.

You can use Plugin Manager to verify that the FM8 plugin you are inserting as an effect, really is "FM8 FX.dll" and has two audio inputs defined. If not, you could try rescanning the plugins.

Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, i7-3770K, 32GB RAM, 3TB SSD, LinnStrument
    FettsVett
    Re: FM8 audio input trouble 2017/07/30 16:19:09 (permalink)
    The whole track goes silent. 
    Thanks for the info, KAV. That makes sense. I will check that soon.
    TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: FM8 audio input trouble 2017/07/30 18:47:39 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    FWIW, there are also FX versions of Absynth and Reaktor.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    FettsVett
    Re: FM8 audio input trouble 2017/07/31 16:54:27 (permalink)
    Okay KAV thanks so much. I got it working by making sure it was FM8 FX.dll. I also had to Configure as Synth under VST Plugin Properties.

Now I have a new issue: how do I get this iteration of FM8 to accept MIDI keyboard notes and control surface MIDI? It doesn't appear in the Synth Rack, which is usually where I do my programming for control surfaces.
    I am hoping I won't have to use ACT, because I have tried before and it was confusing.

I have tried inserting a new MIDI track, but FM8 isn't listed as an option under the output dropdown menu.
    FettsVett
    Re: FM8 audio input trouble 2017/07/31 17:33:15 (permalink)
    Well, guys. I "solved" it. I just unchecked the Configure as Synth box and FM8 became available as an output for my new MIDI track and also appeared in the Synth Rack. Which is weird, because yesterday, I had to click on Configure as Synth to get audio into FM8 as an effect.

Quirky stuff. Thanks for the help.
    msorrels
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1025
    Re: FM8 audio input trouble 2017/07/31 19:45:52 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Drag the FM8 audio effect onto an audio track.  At the top of the FM8 window is a VST drop down (says VST2), in it is an option to enable MIDI Input.  Check that and a "synth" will show up in the Synth Rack for the FM8 effect.  You can then route a MIDI track to it but it's an audio effect.  You don't have to fiddle the Configure as Synth option.

-Matt

FettsVett
    Re: FM8 audio input trouble 2017/08/04 19:05:40 (permalink)
    Alright. Now I have FM8 as effect accepting audio from theTrack its on, and also accepting MIDI from a separate MIDI track.

It is now showing up in my Synth Rack. I can assign controls via Synth Rack, but they are not moving parameters in the plugin. Also, theres not a little blue power button next to it in the Synth Rack like with normal synths. Sorry for all the questions, but I didn't expect using it like this would prove this unintuitive.
    FettsVett
    Re: FM8 audio input trouble 2017/08/04 19:05:58 (permalink)
    Alright. Now I have FM8 as effect accepting audio from theTrack its on, and also accepting MIDI from a separate MIDI track.

It is now showing up in my Synth Rack. I can assign controls via Synth Rack, but they are not moving parameters in the plugin. Also, theres not a little blue power button next to it in the Synth Rack like with normal synths. Sorry for all the questions, but I didn't expect using it like this would prove this unintuitive.
    FettsVett
    Re: FM8 audio input trouble 2017/08/04 19:38:58 (permalink)
    I think I figured it out. I can set FM8 into an effects chain and create knobs for the effect.
    msorrels
    Re: FM8 audio input trouble 2017/08/04 19:41:07 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Most likely you need to turn echo on the MIDI track you are using to control FM8.  Otherwise nothing you do on a keyboard will pass through and work.  If you turn echo on the MIDI track, then you can move a control inside FM8 (with the mouse), then press the MIDI learn button (upper left corner of the FM8 UI, looks like a MIDI icon) then move the control on the MIDI keyboard.  It should then start moving the control inside FM8.  This is true for FM8 as an effect or FM8 as a synth.

I'm not sure what "little blue power button" you are talking about.  If you mean the Freeze button (looks like an asterisk or maybe a snow icon), that only applies to synths, not synths that are effects.  If you are talking about something else, put up a screen shot.

-Matt

FettsVett
    Re: FM8 audio input trouble 2017/08/06 23:41:33 (permalink)
    Hey, thanks msorrels for replying. I configured FM8 as an effect, it is NOT enabled as a synth under the properties, and enabled MIDI input via the VST2 dropdown. It now accepts MIDI notes from my keyboard and I can play it.

However, I am having a problem. FM8 appears in the Synth Rack. I am able to Assign Controls to all my parameters, but when I move the knobs in the Synth Rack, my parameters are not moving in my FM8 FX Plugin like they should. They absolutely don't move at all. I will post screenshots soon, but I am pretty exhausted with dealing with the technicalities of FM8/Sonar for today. Thanks for any help you can give.

I was able to use FX Chain to move the parameters, but it turns out that you can't actually use a physical control surface in FX Chain to control the Assignable Controls. So that way is kind of limited to me. 
    msorrels
    Re: FM8 audio input trouble 2017/08/07 11:05:03 (permalink)
    FettsVett
    However, I am having a problem. FM8 appears in the Synth Rack. I am able to Assign Controls to all my parameters, but when I move the knobs in the Synth Rack, my parameters are not moving in my FM8 FX Plugin like they should. They absolutely don't move at all. I will post screenshots soon, but I am pretty exhausted with dealing with the technicalities of FM8/Sonar for today. Thanks for any help you can give.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by moving knobs in the Synth Rack.  There aren't any knobs in the synth rack itself, so I'm not 100% sure what you mean.  Post some screenshots with some details. (you have to use a 3rd party image hosting site to post images).

The problem with FX Chain's not supporting MIDI learn/MIDI control is pretty well covered on a bunch of threads here.  It's something Cakewalk should work on, but it never seems to have gotten a priority. 

There is at least one VST that hosts other VST plugins that lets you build custom "panels" with controls/knobs, Nyrv Systems' Agent.  I've got the Computer Music magazine light version, but just like Cakewalk's FX Chains I don't think it's very user friendly.  But it definitely does let you control things with MIDI controllers.

http://nyrvaudio.com/

-Matt

FettsVett
    Re: FM8 audio input trouble 2017/08/07 12:13:24 (permalink)
    Ok, here ya go.
    I circled the Assignable Control knobs in the Synth Rack in red. Also circled the FM8 effect instance in red on far left page. Also, note that in the Synth Rack, the FM8 does not have the blue On/Off icon next to the Synth icon in the Synth Rack.

Sorry about the image. I'm not sure how to resize it. I could still see it if I zoomed in on my browser.

FettsVett
    Re: FM8 audio input trouble 2017/08/07 12:23:09 (permalink)
    I am not sure if this is any better:

msorrels
    Re: FM8 audio input trouble 2017/08/07 18:11:18 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    OK, I never, ever use that feature in the synth rack (since I never undock my synth rack).  I always just open automation lanes on the tracks themselves.  But I think I can understand why it doesn't work right.  The synth automation parameters are attached to the synth's audio track.  But technically when using a synth as an effect there isn't an audio track.  It's part of another audio track.  As a result the parameter automation is kind of different.  Near as I could tell when I added parameter automation controls to the synth rack it kept loosing the connection to the synth effect.  In fact if I had automation using an automation lane it would actually stop working right once hooked up with a synth rack knob.

You can do classic MIDI control channel automation in the MIDI track, which then sends to the FM8 effect.  But just trying to hook up synth rack parameter automation seems to become disconnected.  I was able to automate parameters using a automation lane on the track, but any attempt to get it into that synth rack control knob resulted in SONAR changing what the parameter was internally and as a result becoming disconnected.

Seems like a bug, but what exactly is wrong with it I'm not sure.  To be honest the synth as an effect even getting a synth rack entry seems kind of new.  I don't remember it even doing it before.

You could try opening a support ticket to see if they would look at this, since I'm pretty sure it is broken and is a bug.  But it would take a dozen emails to convince them to even look at it.  The nano-second you mention a third party plugin all blame will switch to it.

In the meantime you can't use that synth rack entry for anything really when using a synth as an effect.  You can add automation lanes on the track and do parameter automation that way.  You can also put MIDI CC messages on the MIDI track and have them control FM8 (using it's own internal MIDI learn/MIDI control system).  But I don't think you can use the synth rack automation control knob feature at all.

-Matt

FettsVett
    Re: FM8 audio input trouble 2017/08/07 18:21:15 (permalink)
    Alright. Thanks for taking the time to recreate the issue. I may create another thread addressing just this issue, as I have serious doubts I will actually get Cakewalk to acknowledge me in any other way.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1