Record accompaniment from Yamaha PSR 640 to Cakewalk Pro Audio 9

Author
odading
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2017/07/30 10:26:41 (permalink)

Record accompaniment from Yamaha PSR 640 to Cakewalk Pro Audio 9

Hi... I'm new here and I don't have enough knowledge about Midi.
Today I just bought a USB-Midi cable to connect my Yamaha PSR640 to Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 in my computer.

When I play "fingered chord accompaniment" in my PSR, Cakewalk record it in between channel 9 to 14.
But when I play the recorded midi in Cakewalk back to the PSR, the instrument is not correct and the sound feel "dry".
As I don't define the patch to each channel from 9 to 16, the rhythm (channel 9 and 10) plays OK - but it seems from channel 11 to 14 all instrument's sound is like a piano ? (I think so ). So I choose Electric Bass for channel 11, Piano for channel 12, Guitar for channel 13 and Strings for channel 14. Now the instruments heard OK, but the balance is awkward and it is still "dry". It is so different when I play directly from the PSR, the sound is "rich".

I know I can tune the volume to get the balanced sound and manually put echo/reverb control etc. But I wonder, what did I miss to do before recording ? It seems Cakewalk didn't record the music instrument (and other controls) from the PSR accompaniment ?

Any kind of respond would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advanced, and please forgive my English.

4 Replies Related Threads

interpolated
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re: Record accompaniment from Yamaha PSR 640 to Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 2017/07/30 11:38:18 (permalink)
    Firstly. MIDI is not sound rather it is information exchanged between your synth and audio host. When you setup MIDI, if your device is not mapped (that is already loaded with a suitable template) it will default to Instrument 1 which happens to be a piano patch.

When you sequence each MIDI track, you will need to assign the value of the instrument which should be the equivalent on your keyboard. So say 8 was bass then the MIDI synth on Sonar should be the same. So that's very basic however an important point. 

If you go into Preferences and MIDI device setup, you might find you will want to set a default instrument for each MIDI track. Going on a hunch that is the reason.

If you were wanting to output the Yamaha' audio then that would require out into an sound interface and recording that to an audio track. It has 2 aux audio outputs on the back.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
    odading
    Re: Record accompaniment from Yamaha PSR 640 to Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 2017/07/30 20:00:10 (permalink)
    interpolated
    Firstly. MIDI is not sound rather it is information exchanged between your synth and audio host. When you setup MIDI, if your device is not mapped (that is already loaded with a suitable template) it will default to Instrument 1 which happens to be a piano patch.
    Yes... that is what I experienced it.

interpolatedWhen you sequence each MIDI track, you will need to assign the value of the instrument which should be the equivalent on your keyboard.
    Too bad, my PSR just show : (9) Rhythm Sub, (10) Rhythm Main, (11) Bass, (12) Chord1, (13) Chord2, (14) Pad, (15) Phrase1 and (16) Phrase,  but it doesn't show what instrument is used in each of those channels of the accompaniment :(.

interpolatedIf you go into Preferences and MIDI device setup, you might find you will want to set a default instrument for each MIDI track.
    For 8Beat1 PSR Style accompaniment, because it's a little bit clear to be heard what instrument the channel used, I set the instrument as I mentioned in my first post ---> (channel 11) I set it to Electric Bass instrument, then Guitar, Piano and Strings (channel 12, 13, 14).

But the sound still sounds "ugly" (even after I arrange the volume) when I play from Cakewalk back to PSR.
    I've looked around the internet, there is an article which say about System Exclusive which I'm blind about it at all :).

interpolatedIf you were wanting to output the Yamaha' audio then that would require out into an sound interface and recording that to an audio track. It has 2 aux audio outputs on the back.
    Oke. 

Thank you for your kind reply, interpolated.

regards.
    soens
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5154
    Re: Record accompaniment from Yamaha PSR 640 to Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 2017/08/19 19:14:12 (permalink)
    Keyboard voices play through an FX preset by the keyboard. In some cases you won't hear the FX when played through a MIDI controller like Sonar. There may be a setting somewhere to change that. It might seem daunting but read through the manual or look for a youtube video for it.
    odading
    Re: Record accompaniment from Yamaha PSR 640 to Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 2017/09/10 15:50:05 (permalink)
    soens
    Keyboard voices play through an FX preset by the keyboard. In some cases you won't hear the FX when played through a MIDI controller like Sonar. There may be a setting somewhere to change that. It might seem daunting but read through the manual or look for a youtube video for it.

Thank you for your suggestion soens.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1