Drop Outs And Flickering Lights in AI

Author
perryjermaine1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
2017/07/31 18:29:40 (permalink)

Drop Outs And Flickering Lights in AI

Hey Guys and Gals!!!

I have a concern. Currently using M-audio Fast track Ultra 8R Audio Interface but experience too often drop outs in Sonar and/or all the lights flick in the AI and sound stops while DAW continues to play. Often having to restart the program. Was considering buying a new AI (I'm hearing Focusrite is good) but then ran into an article stating that not all AIs works well with all DAWs. I am also considering purchasing a new Thunderbolt PC from PCAudioLabs dedicated more towards studio work.

Here's the questions:

-In fact how long will AIs last?

-Could I be the culprit, maybe my settings are wrong/AI getting old?

-Has anyone encountered issues using Focusrite Thunderbolt, Sonar Platinum and Win 10 (would rather stick with win 7)? If so what works well?

Current Stats:
M-audio Audio Interface USB
Dell 09 Ispirion 546
Win7 Pro (I'm scared of 10... Lol)
AMD Athlon II x4 630 2.80GHz
8GB RAM
64bit OS
500GB internal HD (core and programs)
1TB external HD (projects, waves etc)
Dual screen monitors
PC Desktop speakers w/sub
Pair KRK Rokit 6 monitors
USB M-Audio Midi Keystation 49es
AKAI Renaissance

And of Course Sonar LE, Home Studio, 8 Pro, X2, X3 and Platinum... Lol

Thx

M-audio Audio Interface USB/ Dell 09 Ispirion 546/ Win7 Pro (I'm scared of 10... Lol)/ AMD Athlon II x4 630 2.80GHz/ 8GB RAM/ 32-64bit OS/ 500GB HD (core and programs)/ 1TB external HD (projects, waves etc)/ Dual screen monitor/ PC Desktop speakers w/sub/ Pair KRK Rokit 6 monitors/ USB Midi Keystation 49es/ AKAI Renaissance/ And of Course Sonar LE, Home Studio, 8 Pro, X2, X3 and Platinum Lol

4 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Drop Outs And Flickering Lights in AI 2017/08/02 03:50:33 (permalink)
    Your system does seem due for an update. I think you'll find updating your computer and almost any newer interface will solve your dropout issues. Motu and RME are where most folks go when they want the best. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Drop Outs And Flickering Lights in AI 2017/08/02 10:34:06 (permalink)
    I used to have one of those Fastrack Ultra 8R's.  Wasn't a bad unit but is dated and maybe not even supported anymore.  But the lights flickering in the unit and audio stops would appear to most likely be a hardware problem in the unit.  

Thunderbolt is still iffy in Windows and Microsoft support is the same way.  According to our forum expert who builds DAW PC's we are not even reaching the full capabilities of USB 2.0 and many units have low latency that is equal to or close to Thunderbolt.  

I have an MOTU unit and a Focusrite 6i6 2nd generation as a backup unit.  The MOTU has much better latency, features and control program.   I have a desktop for DAW but also just bought a Laptop for uses other than a DAW but I have installed Sonar and my MOTU and initial tests are it works well.  I will use the Laptop for any "on site" type recordings (I have one coming up later this month).  The new Dell is marketed as a "gaming Laptop" so the spec's are fairly good and it comes with an SSD drive.  It boots up and runs, visually, as fast as my high end desktop.  Its an Inspiron 15, 5577 model.  

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    interpolated
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 830
    Re: Drop Outs And Flickering Lights in AI 2017/08/02 10:57:45 (permalink)
    Our setups are similar however here is mine for comparison.

AMD Phenom II 1090T 3.2Ghz (6 core)
    8GB PC1600 DDR3
    500/750GB hard drives (internal)/256GB Crucial SSD
    750GB external storage.
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 V1
    (EMU 1212M not in use anymore however I may reinstall it until I upgrade)
    Some AMD GPU which gives me Full HD graphics (6700 I think)
    UAD1  DSP

It really needs an overhaul and I have a system spec in mind which may take time to become reality.

A modern thunderbolt capable system will defnitely help with things like overall system efficiency and embracing lower latency technology with a negligible system hit. My plan is to defect to Intel again though unless AMD with their new threadripper solutions make me think otherwise. So I will set a ceiling price for the main components and see what works out best in the long run.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Drop Outs And Flickering Lights in AI 2017/08/02 16:53:56 (permalink)
    The flickering lights thing makes me suspect a problem with either the USB cable or the USB socket on the interface, PC or both. Especially if a light that shows USB connectivity is flickering. Another possibility is a power supply problem, which might be the interface or whatever mains connection it's plugged into.

As for how long interfaces last, the answer to that question is the same as the answer to "how long is a rubber band?"

Better built interfaces should last longer, and even inexpensive electronics can have a long lifetime, but eventually time catches up with everything and components start to go out of speciication, make noise or just fail.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1