Hitting undo forgets current selection, especially in PRV

Author
cboshuizen
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
2017/08/06 09:17:19 (permalink)

Hitting undo forgets current selection, especially in PRV

If some midi notes are selected, and an operation is performed, and then undo is used, say with ctrl-z, then the selection is forgotten. This is extremely frustrating behaviour, because sometimes selections are very complex. For instance, if certain notes have been ctrl-clicked from among other notes, or a cautious selection was made with lasso, this now has the be redone. And if various different operations are being tested, the select has to be remade ever single time! For anyone who uses PRV a lot, this is a huge time sink, and an opportunity for mistakes. 

steps to reproduce: select a subset of notes. Do something like scale velocity, or drag copy. Hit undo. selection is gone. 

The selection that was made prior to the operation being performed should be maintained.

// Silent PC, i7-6700K, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 10 Home Creator Update  // Sonar Platinum - latest monthly release // Melodyne Editor 4.1, Addictive Drums & Keys, Z3TA+2, Dim Pro // FL Studio Producer 12.4 all plugins + some FL VSTIs in Sonar //

2 Replies Related Threads

chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Hitting undo forgets current selection, especially in PRV 2017/08/06 20:03:23 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    I know exactly what you are talking about and unfortunately, I am a fan of it being this way.
    CNTRL+Z/Undo wipes the slate clean which is what it is supposed to do.

My apology's I know its no consolation to you and I can understand your frustration as there are times I also wish it remembered selection states but there are many times where I select in correct notes, grab the wrong group of notes and rather than having to unselect everything it is already done for me using Undo.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

cboshuizen
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 122
    Re: Hitting undo forgets current selection, especially in PRV 2017/08/08 19:14:40 (permalink)
    There is also a clear selection shortcut, shift-ctrl-a, which does what you want. You can also click somewhere else to clear selections. There is no way to keep selections though -- in fact, the app is inconsistent, some operations do and some don't, and I can't catalog all the variations I've seen. So neither of us is truly getting what we want. 

Perhaps the compromise is there should be an option? Though I am reluctant to suggest more settings. 

// Silent PC, i7-6700K, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 10 Home Creator Update  // Sonar Platinum - latest monthly release // Melodyne Editor 4.1, Addictive Drums & Keys, Z3TA+2, Dim Pro // FL Studio Producer 12.4 all plugins + some FL VSTIs in Sonar //
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1