Long standing problem when sidechaining from active synth

Author
thedukewestern
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 387
2017/08/09 15:55:13 (permalink)

Long standing problem when sidechaining from active synth

For well over 2 years, SPLAT has been very unstable when sidechaining from an active synth to another channels compressor.  

I use izotope alloy alot, but with other compressors as well.  I typically send my drum synths out to multiple channels, (Superior Drummer/ Kontakt Abby Road for example).  Whenever I try to sidechain a compressor off of one of these kicks sonar freezes, audio engine drops out.  I have to freeze the synth in order to continue mixing.  Ive saved and sent multiple crash dumps etc during this time.  What am I doing wrong?

Be the first one who thinks that you can

Sonar Platinum, Windows 7 64 bit - clean install January 2016, Focusrite Pro 40, Outboard Pres, Native Instruments Komplete, Izotope, PSP, Melodyne, Vegetarian

1 Reply Related Threads

taccess
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 534
    Re: Long standing problem when sidechaining from active synth 2017/08/31 11:32:30 (permalink)
    Two things :
    1) Side chaining + Multi PRIMARYS = crash or spikes, I have spend a lot of time and have a lot of information regarding this, I have struggled with this problem for 3 years and for the last month in my 350 track project I am doing heavy heavy heavy badasss side chaining and my nightmares are completely gone . Platinum is FIXED for me.

I have supplied video evidence to cakewalk, yep video evidence of this crash and spikes caused by this bug and I can repo this bug via sidechain and adding second primary tracks and clearly show it appear and show it gone by performing my workaround, all of which cakewalk now has.

The Workaround = use only 1 x Primary for ALL instruments : KONTAKT5 , SESSION DRUMMER, spire, sylenth, ANY OTHER SYNTH / MULTI OR NOT / DO NOT USE A SECOND PRIMARY TRACK FOR ANY INSTRUMENT, and you will be able to side chain until your heart is content. SIMPLE !

You can test this without deleting anything in your project first simply by changing the input of all multi primary tracks to NONE, except for the first primary . DOUBLE CHECK your entire project to make sure all instruments/synths have only one primary and your good to go.
    This ends up fixing the problem you have but also is much much better for solo/mute and freeeze/unfreeze purposes, you see I now use one kontakt5 multi per instance and when I solo/mute or freeze/unfreeze it's fast and exclusive, rather than affecting other multis that instance.
    I have tested 2 multis outputing to 1 x Primary and it seems to be fine, so with multi instruments like session drummer you will need to output to 1 primary track only or you will need to use seperate session drummer instances per snare, tom, kick, To which obviously each instance will have its own midi + primary.
    Using seperate instances per instrument may seem like a pain but it fixes the sidechain crash/spike bug and you can always freeze if it uses to much CPU, you will see it has benefits beside fixing this crash/spike bug.

It is ok to use a pre send to send a primary output to as many aux tracks as you like, but it is not alright to have more than 1 x primary, you will expierence the crash/ spike bug.

One last thing also when inserting a sidechain pre send its good practice to wait a few seconds for it to initialise, sometimes I have a trigger happy thumb that likes to hit the space bar just as the pre send is inserted which can cause a crash and has nothing to do with this bug. I sometimes just click a PRV note to make sure the side chain pre send has initialised then release the thumb ! as its very impatient (:

Although there are buffer settings and other possible causes that can cause what your expieriencing, this is the fix my friend.

2) Enjoy

z800 Dual x5690
    NvME 256gb 950Pro / Win10
    LSI  MegaRaid
    Nvidia 450 GTS
    96GB 1366MHZ
    RME Babyface
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1