LockedAutomation parameters disappear after saving & reopening project under certain conditions

Author
craigr68
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 102
2017/08/14 21:00:32 (permalink)
5 (1)

Automation parameters disappear after saving & reopening project under certain conditions

I discovered this problem working with Overloud TH3 support.  They are supposed to be filing a bug report with Cakewalk.  At first I thought it was a TH3 problem but we discovered it happens with other vsts (ie biFilter), so it is presumed to be a Cakewalk bug.

Steps to reproducing problem:
1 Create audio track
2 Insert a vst like TH3 or biFilter that has automation parameters
3 Add an automation lane for vst and select a parameter to automate
4 Draw an automation curve and turn on read if necessary
5 Test it and verify automation works properly
6 Save project and reopen, everything still works correctly

7 "Enable Midi Input" for the top most vst in the vst header, save and reopen project

At this point, the automation parameters disappear for all vsts inserted in the effects loop and the drop down parameter list is replaced with one word "Unnamed".  And of course the automation doesn't work.  You undo the problem by unchecking "Enable Midi Input" on the topmost vst, saving project, and reopening.  There is no problem if you "Enable Midi Input" on only the 2nd vst.  For some reason the problem pertains to "Enable Midi Input" on the topmost vst.

3 Replies Related Threads

msorrels
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1025
    Re: Automation parameters disappear after saving & reopening project under certain conditi 2017/08/15 10:17:58 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    This problem also came up in this thread
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/FM8-audio-input-trouble-m3637338.aspx

Seems like a real bug they should look into.

-Matt

craigr68
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 102
    Re: Automation parameters disappear after saving & reopening project under certain conditi 2017/08/15 19:53:10 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Thanks for letting me know about that.  As a workaround, I found if I place a dummy vst in the first position of the effects loop, I can then get TH3 automations to work when project is saved and reopened.  By dummy vst, I mean I put bifilter in the top position and turn it off, then put TH3 below that.  Then Enable Midi Input will work after saving and reopening.  I need Midi Input for TH3 program changes. 
    Another workaround is to not place automation in the audio track, but instead create a midi track that is assigned to a TH3 instance.  Then create midi automation lanes that control TH3 parameters.
    Jon Sasor [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 284
    Re: Automation parameters disappear after saving & reopening project under certain conditi 2017/08/16 15:50:37 (permalink)
    Hi craigr68,

This has been logged with development. We'll contact you directly if any further information is required. Thanks!

Jonathan Sasor
    Quality Assurance Engineer 
    BandLab
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1