Learning about Artist/Professional/Platinum from the ground up?

Author
russellfincher
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2017/08/17 01:17:20 (permalink)

Learning about Artist/Professional/Platinum from the ground up?

I've spent time in DAWs but it's been a few years. I recently picked up Sonar Artist to get going again. But where do I start to learn how to use it?

I've been to CakeTV/Sonar University and to the Cakewalk YouTube channel, but they are both kind of a mess. They don't start you with basics videos, even in the beginners sections. They are unordered and filled with outdated X1/X2/X3 videos (what is the current series even called and how can I isolate those videos?). I could hunt through the videos and hope I get the current ones in a sensible order but there must be a better way.

Is there a place to go through a series of training videos of the current software that starts at the basics and goes in a sensible order?

15 Replies Related Threads

tonyzub999
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re: Learning about Artist/Professional/Platinum from the ground up? 2017/08/17 01:20:10 (permalink)
    Groove 3 Sonar tutorials.
    russellfincher
    Re: Learning about Artist/Professional/Platinum from the ground up? 2017/08/17 01:30:48 (permalink)
    tonyzub999
    Groove 3 Sonar tutorials.

Thanks Tony, those look pretty good.
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Learning about Artist/Professional/Platinum from the ground up? 2017/08/17 02:55:08 (permalink)
    I usually figure out one or two things I want to do each session, and then get lost in the guitar and Sonar fades away. :-)

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    tonyzub999
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re: Learning about Artist/Professional/Platinum from the ground up? 2017/08/17 03:10:44 (permalink)
    You're welcome. Theses forums have helped me plenty over the years.
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Learning about Artist/Professional/Platinum from the ground up? 2017/08/17 03:37:55 (permalink)
    The videos from the X series are still up on YouTube because they are still relevant to today's version. It will still benefit you to look at them.
    If you click on Sonars Help menu, you can select a number of tutorials. I recommend you do them all several times and start a project straight away.

Sonar today is simply called Sonar Home Studio, Artist, Professional or Platinum. It is further differentiated by the year and month the f release. So the current version is eg. Sonar Platinum 2017/07 because it was released in July of this year. Since this new naming and monthly release format began, Cakewalk have faithfully delivered a new version every month. Sometimes big features and on occasion just bug fixes.

Sonar Platinum is affectionately known as SPlat. I'm sure you can see how that was arrived at.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Learning about Artist/Professional/Platinum from the ground up? 2017/08/17 07:36:23 (permalink)
    Grab a copy of Scott Garrigus Power X3 book.

Although it's written for X3, 95% of it is still relevant for the new versions.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re: Learning about Artist/Professional/Platinum from the ground up? 2017/08/17 11:27:52 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

Is Scott writing a new one for SPLAT?  His was the definitive guide for X1,X2 and X3.

BTW, to the OP, the Help file and local documentation is also a big help if you are looking for how to do something specific. 

It would be great to see someone make a video starting with recording digital audio, then adding MIDI as a base line project.  Make this project available as a Starting Tutorial.   
    Then using the starting tutorial as a baseline, go through and do some of the major features Looping, Quantizing, Melodyne, etc. 

Sonar has so many features and even though I have been using it for years, I feel like I am just scratching the surface!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Learning about Artist/Professional/Platinum from the ground up? 2017/08/17 11:30:01 (permalink)
    As others have stated, Groove 3.
    You tube has many great free videos as well but the manual (Sonar CHM file) is packed with great stuff.

This forum right here though, will be the best place for resources.
    you should start with a simple "Im doing mostly midi" or "Im want to learn more about Rec Audio".

Do not bite off more than you can chew. Take small steps and learn one thing at a time.
    I remember 15+ years ago taking notes. I know it seems funny but those helped me burn it in to my brain and were critical for when I became lost.

The key is repetition. once you do something 4 or 5 times you wont need to think about it anymore which leaves your mind free to concentrate on what it should be thinking about... Making/Writing music.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

guitarwiz1
    • Total Posts : 47
    Re: Learning about Artist/Professional/Platinum from the ground up? 2017/08/17 11:48:01 (permalink)
    I've learned a lot watching these videos. Much of the information still applies.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKRYWdEpbc5PgUgvrNuSvVyfv5qkll0qj

Sonar Artist (Latest Version)
    Custom Built AMD FX 6300, Windows 10 Home
    Gigabyte  990fxa-ud3 MB, WD Blue 1TB HD.
    NVIDIA GTX 750ti, 16 gig crucial ballistix sport
    Behringer UMC204HD, Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro, Fender Mustang III.
    garrigus
    • Total Posts : 8599
    Re: Learning about Artist/Professional/Platinum from the ground up? 2017/08/17 11:51:16 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

Hey Colin,

Thanks for the mention! As you said...

SONAR X3 Power is still the most current book I have at the moment. Many of the things in Platinum are still the same as X3, but many things are also different. X3 Power doesn't cover any of the new features that are shown here on the Cakewalk site...http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Whats-New#start

I don't have a concrete date yet, but I hope to release something that will expand on the current X3 Power book and cover only the new features added in Platinum.

The SONAR X3 Power book is still available. I think Amazon provides a good size sample for the book that you can read through first. If you go to this link and then click on the book cover to open their Look Inside feature...http://amzn.to/2g74PUJ

In the meantime, I'll also be doing some video tutorials, many of which will be free on my YouTube channels... those will start appearing very soon... you can subscribe free to the channels...
    * https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottGarrigus?sub_confirmation=1
    * https://www.youtube.com/c/DigiFreqVideo?sub_confirmation=1
    * https://www.youtube.com/c/NewTechReviewVideo?sub_confirmation=1

When something new in the form of a book appears, it will be announced on my site ( http://www.garrigus.com/ ) and in the DigiFreq Music Recording Newsletter ( http://www.digifreq.com/ ).

Best,
    Scott
    --
    Scott R. Garrigus - http://www.garrigus.com
    * Cakewalk SONAR Video Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/ScottGarrigus?sub_confirmation=1
    * Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series: http://garrigus.com/?PowerBooks
    * Publisher of the DigiFreq music recording newsletter: http://www.digifreq.com/
    * Publisher of the NewTechReview consumer tech newsletter: http://www.newtechreview.com/

mrpippy2
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 222
    Re: Learning about Artist/Professional/Platinum from the ground up? 2017/08/17 15:05:35 (permalink)
    I just found a YouTube channel of someone called "Chernobyl Studios", who has some really well-done Sonar tutorials, including a series on the basics. I believe he's the same guy who just did Cakewalk's own Adaptive Limiter video. I thing the OP would be well served to check these out; I know they've been useful for me.

Sweetwater Creation Station 250, QuadCore, i5 3.4 Ghz, 2x1TB HD, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Focusrite 2i2
    bokchoyboy
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re: Learning about Artist/Professional/Platinum from the ground up? 2017/08/17 15:26:00 (permalink)
    I am still learning myself, and have only touched the surface of what Sonar can do;   for me, when I come across a problem/question, I search here at the forum or on Google, as the Cakewalk search function is somewhat limited.
    Just open a Google search and enter the following:

"site:forum.cakewalk.com"    -plus your search terms (e.g., how to edit clip automation)

Also, I've created an archive of forum threads too.  Every time I run across a thread with answers I'm looking for, I save the page as a pdf file into specific folder on my hard drive (e.g., automation, mixing, plug ins ... you get the picture) so I have easy access in the future.  You can archive Youtube videos also if you have a program to download streaming vids (I use YTD Video Downloader--it's gratis)

Salud!

P.S.  Other good youtube sites are Andrew Byrne and David Valles channels
    russellfincher
    Re: Learning about Artist/Professional/Platinum from the ground up? 2017/08/17 15:32:32 (permalink)
    Great suggestions and advice all around. Thanks, everyone!
    mrpippy2
    • Total Posts : 222
    Re: Learning about Artist/Professional/Platinum from the ground up? 2017/08/17 15:51:20 (permalink)
    bokchoyboy
    Also, I've created an archive of forum threads too.  Every time I run across a thread with answers I'm looking for, I save the page as a pdf file into specific folder on my hard drive (e.g., automation, mixing, plug ins ... you get the picture) so I have easy access in the future. 

I love this idea. I've got hundreds of bookmarks from this forum alone, but never thought to save them as PDF files. Is it just a simple "save as" function in the web browser, or is there more of a process?

Sweetwater Creation Station 250, QuadCore, i5 3.4 Ghz, 2x1TB HD, 16GB RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Focusrite 2i2
    bokchoyboy
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re: Learning about Artist/Professional/Platinum from the ground up? 2017/08/17 18:39:14 (permalink)
    mrpippy2
    bokchoyboy
    Also, I've created an archive of forum threads too.  Every time I run across a thread with answers I'm looking for, I save the page as a pdf file into specific folder on my hard drive (e.g., automation, mixing, plug ins ... you get the picture) so I have easy access in the future. 

I love this idea. I've got hundreds of bookmarks from this forum alone, but never thought to save them as PDF files. Is it just a simple "save as" function in the web browser, or is there more of a process?

Depends on the browser... I use Chrome for saving pdf's...you might need a plug in to make it work with Firefox or IE...not sure.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1